Meijer or Meijers?

blueradon

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Website. I espesially love "a-par-meh'" which I find most yong people, early 20's and younger, saying "apartment" that way.

Here's some other Michigan things I can think of.

Sixdeen instead of Sixteen

Tubafour instead of two by four

Thhhe-a-dur instead of theater

Couple of Three

Plus I could never figure out why we Michiganians put a slash though our "7's" when writing that number.

I started a topic talking about things like these (company names as possessives): http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...&pid=432229

It's a Michigan thing

A line through the 7 being common here? eh? I thought I was the only one in the state who did that? (I actually began the practise because of my handwriting. My 1s looked like ls, so I added the top swoosh thingy, but they started looking like 7s, so to differentiate the two, I began adding the line in my 7s)

I remember I used such a 7 on some document at the Secretary of State's office at Roger's Plaza, and received rude service because of it. The lady repeated the number back to me wrong, repeating both the euro 7 and the 1 to me as 7. When I corrected her, she replied "well we don't use european here." Excuse me, but if you could distinctly tell I was using european 7s, why would you assume something else WITHOUT the tick would be a 7 as well? oi.

Yay for being left-handed...I'm left-handed too.

I'm not a major in Speech or English or anything but I try to articulate my words to some degree where it sounds correct but not annoying. A BIG one that really irks me is when people say "fur" instead of "for" and "tuh" instead of "to"

Also (I know this is a little off-topic) I was informed by an English teacher that in the Pledge of Allegiance there is no comma in "...one nation under God..." yet people pause in between the four words. So I say it correctly now and everyone always looks at me when I'm saying it the technically correct way. :lol:

Also (I know this is a little off-topic) I was informed by an English teacher that in the Pledge of Allegiance there is no comma in "...one nation under God..." yet people pause in between the four words. So I say it correctly now and everyone always looks at me when I'm saying it the technically correct way.

Great Website. I espesially love "a-par-meh'" which I find most yong people, early 20's and younger, saying "apartment" that way.

Here's some other Michigan things I can think of.

Sixdeen instead of Sixteen

Tubafour instead of two by four

Thhhe-a-dur instead of theater

Archived