Statesboro Development News

andremurra

I can't stand the people who think their subdivision in the middle of a farming area should be the only one and no one should develop next door because it will take their view of a farm field, trees, pond, whatever. The people complaining should have thought ahead and bought that property so it could be left undeveloped. The fact that Bradford Place is there means it is a desirable area for residential development. Why would you not expect more.

Andre, I don't doubt that some of the Bradford Place houses are worth $300k, but of the sales so far this year, the range has been from $131k to $230k, with only one over $187k. It's nothing personal, but I have heard that argument in the county from people concerned that the houses proposed next door will be a few thousand dollars cheaper, especially if the lots will be smaller. Smaller lots don't always mean lower cost houses. In other cities I have seen very expensive houses in new developments with very small lots. No one (especially the county or city) can guarantee those neighbors the new houses will be less (or more) expensive than their's. Since this new development is asking for annexation, I assume it will have public sewer. That should make it more desirable.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand the people who think their subdivision in the middle of a farming area should be the only one and no one should develop next door because it will take their view of a farm field, trees, pond, whatever. The people complaining should have thought ahead and bought that property so it could be left undeveloped. The fact that Bradford Place is there means it is a desirable area for residential development. Why would you not expect more.

Andre, I don't doubt that some of the Bradford Place houses are worth $300k, but of the sales so far this year, the range has been from $131k to $230k, with only one over $187k. It's nothing personal, but I have heard that argument in the county from people concerned that the houses proposed next door will be a few thousand dollars cheaper, especially if the lots will be smaller. Smaller lots don't always mean lower cost houses. In other cities I have seen very expensive houses in new developments with very small lots. No one (especially the county or city) can guarantee those neighbors the new houses will be less (or more) expensive than their's. Since this new development is asking for annexation, I assume it will have public sewer. That should make it more desirable.

Edited by andremurra

Both the small and larger tract off Cawana will have Single Family homes. I'm not sure on the number but if you take the total area and and divide by 15,000 sqft for each lot you come come up with about 86 lots total. That would come out to be about 3 homes per acre. However, those numbers do not take out the area utilized for road and utility right of way, so you can be sure there would be less than 86 lots and less than 3 homes per acre.

Both the small and larger tract off Cawana will have Single Family homes. I'm not sure on the number but if you take the total area and and divide by 15,000 sqft for each lot you come come up with about 86 lots total. That would come out to be about 3 homes per acre. However, those numbers do not take out the area utilized for road and utility right of way, so you can be sure there would be less than 86 lots and less than 3 homes per acre.
Edited by andremurra

Well, Cawana Road is now fully accessible to the city water/sewer system. Outside of the city, homes are required to have a septic tank and in order to have one, the lots have to be a minimum of 25,000 sq ft. With the new subdivision having access to Statesboro's water system, the homes being planned are not going to have septic systems and can be smaller lots if necessary. They did Cawana Road a few years ago and Beasley last year I think. I wonder if there will be a sound/vision buffer for the homes near the bypass, like the Greenbriar-Hawthorne wall on Fair Road.

Two seperate developments...

I believe Morgan is referring to the townhome development that was approved for the property between the corner of the bypass and East Main/24 and Sandy Way apartments. I noticed this morning that a larger trailer and a bulldozer was sitting on the property near what looked to be a newly cleared road through the woods. So it seems they may begin clearing that property soon.

The other development I believe would be the townhomes approved for the property with the big pond off Miller Street, Stockyard Road, and Northside Dr West. I'm not sure how much has taken place there.

The Fine Arts Phase III - Black Box Theatre is taking shape. Construction started a while back, but the frame is going up now. The addition to the Arts Building will be almost 30,000 sq ft. It will include three art galleries and a new 180 seat Black Box Theatre. The completion date is Fall 2007 and a name has not yet been identified for the new building.

So, I was wondering what was going on at the old Holiday Inn/Ramada Inn/Guest Inn this morning, since everything was out in the parking lot.

Well, as you know, the 129 room motel was sold this summer, and it is now going under renovations yet again -_- . It's going under complete renovations, that will include state-of-the-art security cameras, internet access in every rooom, etc. It's going to be open in March, under the Quality Inn and Suites name. A deal is almost finished with a regional restaurant to move in.

Bleh, i'm tired of this thing of being remodeled. Bulldoze the thing and put a 4 story hotel and a restaurant there :thumbsup:.

Just a random note, but the Statesboro Magazine was recently bought by Morris Multimedia, who also owns the Statesboro Herald.

Statesboro's Hospitality Industry Booming

I was hoping to get to this topic first (sad that we all use the same sources to post things - haha), but I had to go workout at the RAC before Thanksgiving holidays ruined the opportunity for me. I gotta say that I love the new RAC - Ive been going regularly since the $35-million addition opened (the original part of the facility cost $9-million). It is so nice and huge - there are plasma screens everywhere and all the cardio machines have 10-inch television screens in them with extended cable access - NICE.

Now on to the Hotels. At first when I was reading the column, I was excited and hoping to read that someone was going to redevelop the tract, but it seems that the twice-remodeled ex-Holiday Inn will be remodeled again into a Quality Inn. So yes, at first I was unhappy about it, but after thinking about it for a bit, I do think that it is very good news for the community.

For one thing, consider that the owner has pledged to put $2-million into the renovation of the hotel. Thats a very substantial investment. Probably since the hotel was tax-auctioned off he didnt pay much for it and is able to put $2-million into it for that reason. The new Holiday Inn is only costing $8m, and that is to build the entire thing from the ground up - so that should give one a good idea of what $2m can do for a hotel remodeling. If he does it right, and it really depends on if he gives the hotel a new outside facelift, this could turn out to be a very good investment for Statesboro.

Think of it this way, our tourism capacity is about to grow by 400-500 rooms. Before the Guest Inn closed, Statesboro had almost 1000 rooms, but lost 129 with Guest Inn closing. Down to now 800+ rooms, after this closure, 94-room Holiday Inn is announced, Comfort Inn & Suites is adding 20 suites, two more hotels are possibly coming across the street in Southern Plaza (200-room potential) - and now the 129-room hotel is coming back as Quality Inn with a $2m facelift. Thats an estimate of 443 new rooms coming to Statesboro. Im sure that by the time all these hotels get built or remodeled, there will be more announcements made in the hospitality sector. These developments include three new conference centers (Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, and Southern Plaza) and two restaurants (Holiday Inn & Quality Inn). Like I said, I hope the facelift looks like $2-million worth.

Now if someone will just do something with that Hojo crap next door.

Edited by andremurra

So, I finally went to the Midtown Coffeeshop today, and I was quite impressed. The inside was very modern, and even what looked like a corner couch in front of the fireplace. I didn't make it upstairs though. I was very impressed. I will be back.

It wasn't all college kids either - like I expected it to be. There were all ages of people in there. I found it a little random though, how there is only but 5 parking spaces. The rest is just asphalt.

Downtown, poor downtown. I ate there today, and it was so dead. I hope this streetscape helps liven it up some. It would be a perfect night spot. All it needs is a few more restaurants, a few coffee houses, and some stores. Downtown has a lot of potential. I hope it improves some.

And I noticed today, since they are remodeling most of the top floors of buildings on West Main Street to lofts/apartments, why they don't do the 2 floors above whatever that store is on the corner. Frills n Fancies or something? Those would make perfect lofts.

My only concern with all the new hotels is that they will put the older ones out. I know this is a different situation...but driving up 301 North to Orangeburg there are so many abandoned run down hotels they look aweful. I know in town we have at least one or two that are in bad shape that still manage to get business.

I believe one of the reasons for not striping the rest of the parking lot is the continued construction traffic across the parking lot to the back portion where they are building Christophers.

The City council approved the annexation and rezoning to R-10 for the property off Lanier Drive and Bird Lane with some conditions. 15,000 sqaure foot lots along the southern property line and a 6ft high opaque fence with a 5ft wide evergreen shrub buffer also along the southern property line.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, the abandoned hotels are a direct result of the interstate system being built. Prior to I-95, US HWY 301 was the prime route from Boston to Florida, essentially connecting all of New Englands largest cities to the their second home and favorite vacationing spots. Traffic through Statesboro was once an extreme hold up on the drive, and there were many restuarants and hotels lining 301 through Statesboro. At one time, Statesboro's nickname was "Tourist City" - and it continued to thrive in the 60's as such. Statesboro was considered THE place to stop on the way to Florida. Then I-95 was built and many hotels were either abandoned or demolished. There were several hotels demolished in Statesboro, including some that would make our downtown look really great if they were still here. Photo's of the hotels can be seen in any of the Statesboro or Bulloch County history books. Looking at the photos, especially of the larger ones really make me feel bummed out, especially when we have all these crappy restaurants and gas stations lining South Main Street instead. Im hoping someday we can get our Tourist City nickname back, but we have to find something to attract tourism back over here - but I cant really think of anything major off hand other than getting a good entertainment/arts/night scene which isnt going to happen anytime soon under our current leadership.

Well, the abandoned hotels are a direct result of the interstate system being built. Prior to I-95, US HWY 301 was the prime route from Boston to Florida, essentially connecting all of New Englands largest cities to the their second home and favorite vacationing spots. Traffic through Statesboro was once an extreme hold up on the drive, and there were many restuarants and hotels lining 301 through Statesboro. At one time, Statesboro's nickname was "Tourist City" - and it continued to thrive in the 60's as such. Statesboro was considered THE place to stop on the way to Florida. Then I-95 was built and many hotels were either abandoned or demolished. There were several hotels demolished in Statesboro, including some that would make our downtown look really great if they were still here. Photo's of the hotels can be seen in any of the Statesboro or Bulloch County history books. Looking at the photos, especially of the larger ones really make me feel bummed out, especially when we have all these crappy restaurants and gas stations lining South Main Street instead. Im hoping someday we can get our Tourist City nickname back, but we have to find something to attract tourism back over here - but I cant really think of anything major off hand other than getting a good entertainment/arts/night scene which isnt going to happen anytime soon under our current leadership.