The Triangle and startups

peaceloveunderstanding

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Q. How can we stand out more?

A. One or two superstars -- a company that makes it, goes public, stays in the region and creates excitement and becomes a community leader. That would help.

Q. So we're waiting for our Dell?

A. Right. Austin would not be Austin without Dell. RTP won't fall if it doesn't spawn that but it certainly would help at the end of the day.

Dan, pdx... any guesses as to who the possible candidates ***might*** be? In 2000, most were betting on RedHat or Cree IMO, but I wonder how perception has changed.

I say Motricity. Chief, the two cases you bring up who were rising stars back in the early 2000s just illustrates how tenuous the tech business is. Yesterday's winner is today's loser and vice versa. I don't think you will see many Genentechs or Dells any more-the landscape has changed that much in the tech world especially with overseas pressures. The best case is a big buyout for the founders. Embrex was an example of that.

And a Herald-Sun article as well: http://www.heraldsun.com/durham/4-815068.cfm

I found this interesting generally, though I think the feature puts a bit too much emphasis on NC, given the national immigration issues at play. Some of the article comments do echo some previous posts in the thread suggesting that there is room for improvement in the local entreprenurial environment. As Dan's posts indicate, things may well be improving already, at a slow steady pace (which could stand to be accelerated), though a greater state emphasis on entrepreneurs vs. recruitment should also be given some thought...

Entrpreneurship does need to be fostered in this area. I really think you have a clash of cultures (university vs. good ol boys) that still exists but this may slowly be eroding. The business schools at both UNC and Duke are doing an outstanding job of promoting entrepreneurship. The Duke Challenge is giving out 150K this year and has become a big event. The momentum from the 2 schools really needs to spill out into the larger community which is happening very slowly and more needs to be done to retain business school grads in the area.

Duke Start-up Challenge

^

Agreement. Perhaps the business programs need closer and more complex ties to the scientific programs, at least in local academia. I'm not an expert with either, though I suspect there's not a lot of talking going on between those worlds, at least around here.

^

Agreement. Perhaps the business programs need closer and more complex ties to the scientific programs, at least in local academia. I'm not an expert with either, though I suspect there's not a lot of talking going on between those worlds, at least around here.

The Triangle is branching out into biofuels (not necessarily the cleanest) and is becoming one of the leaders in the country.

One of the problems with the biofuel is maintaining large crop production especially corn but Syngenta (cited in the article) is working on a BT corn with increased enzyme capabilites to produce more EtOH during fermentation. This will in turn lead to higher yield with less crop (plot size).

Article

There are folks working on fuel cell technology as well around here but not to the same level as a place like Argonne. I think the RTP officals need to make a pitch for an Argonne branch in the area.

Argonne National Laboratory

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived