Imax at Discovery Place showing Hollywood movies

dubone

I'm not sure where to put this, so I decided to start a thread about. In the past, people here, on the 210 Trade thread, and others, have mentioned the hope for that movie theater to happen. I've noticed that Imax is getting some sort of upgrade or something, and they are recently releasing some movies at the same time as the national release. People near uptown should consider watching these movies at Discovery Place. Not only is it cooler, with all of the technology inherent in Imax, but any profits go to support Discovery Place. I believe the enhancements to the Imax are called Imax Experience.

http://www.imax.com/ImaxWeb/imaxExperience...=whatImaxSelect

Right now, Happy Feet is playing, and I believe Night at the Museum is next, Spiderman 3 is next Spring, and Harry Potter is next Summer. I'm pretty sure that these are the large format versions of these movies, that includes parts of the image cut off by regular movie theater format, and certainly over what HDTV and DVD cut off.

I must admit that despite living uptown now for 7 years, I have only been to Imax twice. But I am really considering trying to support this new entrance into Hollywood movies. It is currently the only place other than Indy films at Manor that people can see Hollywood movies inside of Rt 4.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to see Batman Begins at the IMAX downtown, and my only complaint is that when they show mainstream movies the movies were not shot for IMAX theaters and the image is really bent around the edges of the screen (i guess because it is a dome too), kinda ruins it for me. but the experience is definitely different than a regular theater. is there anything they can do for that?

Maybe it was where you sat? I'm a little disappointed that they didn't shoot these in Imax format. I'm not sure why I thought they did, but I did. I even see now on the imax website about how they are 35mm that are simply remastered to appear good on the high resolution Imax screen, but they're obviously still at the same w:h ratio.

I believe I read that they are getting new equipment for this Imax Experience setup, so maybe they have improved that situation somewhat.

I went to see Batman Begins at the IMAX downtown, and my only complaint is that when they show mainstream movies the movies were not shot for IMAX theaters and the image is really bent around the edges of the screen (i guess because it is a dome too), kinda ruins it for me. but the experience is definitely different than a regular theater. is there anything they can do for that?

I saw Happy Feet there - as long as you pay attention mostly to the middle of the screen, its pretty cool. It was strange to look completely to the left and still see part of the scene.

I wondered if they recut the film at all for IMAX theaters - maybe including a couple extra panoramic scenery scenes that are so impressive in the large format. Those were really spectacular.

• 3 weeks later...

I took my wife and daughter to see Night at the Museum last week. Having enjoyed a number of IMAX features in the past, the dome-projected 35mm was a disappointment, with the main problem being the distortion away from center-screen. This was especially distracting on the many closeups of Ben Stiller's enormous, grotesquely elongated head. I left after the movie with the certain intention not to repeat the experience.

I saw Happy Feet at the IMAX here. I think the key to maximizing your viewing enjoyment is to sit as close to the back as you can. I was able to sit on the next to last row.

The parts of the movie that have moving landscape scenes...such as a flyover...you can't help but get the sensation that you are flying. It is very life like.

Yeah, that sounds disappointing. I haven't tried it yet for a 35mm movie, but I'm now not expecting a very positive experience after hearing all of this.

I wouldn't be surprised if an upgrade to current Imax technology is part of the upcoming (and much needed) renovation.

I took my wife and daughter to see Night at the Museum last week. Having enjoyed a number of IMAX features in the past, the dome-projected 35mm was a disappointment, with the main problem being the distortion away from center-screen. This was especially distracting on the many closeups of Ben Stiller's enormous, grotesquely elongated head. I left after the movie with the certain intention not to repeat the experience.

• 8 months later...

I went to check the listings at their website. Google won't let you go to their website, and issues the following warning:

Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!

You can learn more about harmful web content and how to protect your computer at StopBadware.org.

Suggestions:

Return to the previous page and pick another result.

Try another search to find what you're looking for.

Or you can continue to http://www.discoveryplace.org/ at your own risk.

Pardon? It seems to be Google that has scanned Discovery Place's site and found bad or dangerous code on their website. I don't think it is Google's fault, but rather Discovery Place's. I have often had trouble with Discovery Place's website in the past, so I think they have some problems that need to be fixed.

Some of my friends told me awhile back that watching The Matrix (I'm not sure which one) at DP IMAX was really cool. They compared it to sitting at the front row of a movie theater, but without having to move your head or crick your neck as much. I wonder if DP will be getting Transformers now that it has come out in IMAX. I think that would be a cool movie to see in IMAX.

Random question for you all:

I'm not sure of the true definition of an IMAX theater. DP's and a few others I have been to are domes but I have been in two other IMAX's that just were really, REALLY big screens, but they didn't go above or around you. One was at the World Gold Hall of Fame in St Augustine, FL and the other was at Kennedy Space center. Which ones are technically IMAX in the form the film was made to project on to?

Wikiepedia says:

IMAX (short for Image Maximum) is a film format created by Canada's IMAX Corporation that has the capacity to display images of far greater size and resolution than conventional film display systems. A standard IMAX screen is 22m wide and 16.1m high (72.6ft x 52.8ft), but can be larger. A variation of IMAX, IMAX Dome (originally called OMNIMAX), is designed for projection on tilted dome screens. Films can also be projected in 3D with IMAX 3D.

Some of my friends told me awhile back that watching The Matrix (I'm not sure which one) at DP IMAX was really cool. They compared it to sitting at the front row of a movie theater, but without having to move your head or crick your neck as much. I wonder if DP will be getting Transformers now that it has come out in IMAX. I think that would be a cool movie to see in IMAX.

Random question for you all:

I'm not sure of the true definition of an IMAX theater. DP's and a few others I have been to are domes but I have been in two other IMAX's that just were really, REALLY big screens, but they didn't go above or around you. One was at the World Gold Hall of Fame in St Augustine, FL and the other was at Kennedy Space center. Which ones are technically IMAX in the form the film was made to project on to?

Archived