Christmas Parade through Downtown (Channelside/Ybor)

yborman

I am trying to get some thoughts/comments from people on an idea that I feel would be great for the city of Tampa. I am from up North and as most know, living in a colder climate tends to make people a little more festive then those living in Florida. We as urban minded people are trying to minimize urban sprawling, we need to make a mark to make people take notice on the benefits/changes of living in a Downtown setting. How would you feel about creating a winter wonderland from Channelside to Ybor (From the Trolley beginning to end). The idea is to create such great scenery that people from all over the Tampa Bay area will want to see this. I am not aware of anything like this (Lot

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunshine-

As of right now, Tampa Downtown does not do anything as in any Christmas festivities. However, it's only been a few years since Ybor and Channelside development has started and it's looking a little bit better all the time. I am going to be Speaking with others on this concept, cause I feel this could be a big deal for the city over time. Traditions always begin with an idea, its up to people to make them happen. That is why I have been seeking real input from people on thier thoughts on this subject. I don't care if they think it a bad idea...tell me why you think so. I just want honestly right now and go from there.

• 4 weeks later...

Orlando just started this a few years back, there is a Lite Up Orlando nite where they would light the Xmas tree in front of the city hall and have concert. Then we have the Xmas Parade and Citrus Parade before January first and the Orange drop.

Tampa should do the Xmas lite up thing with a giant Xmas tree somewhere downtown, a parade and maybe put a ice skating rink? Gaylord Palm did the ice skating thing.

Anything is better than nothing. If you can pull off a east coast Rose Parade would be even better.

Archived