New interstate highway

mitchella81

Has anyone heard anything as of lately about the Interstate 14 project it was proposed in 2004 to run from Augusta, GA to Macon to Columbus/Phenix City to Montgomery, to Jackson, MS, to Natchez, MS. But last I heard about a year ago congress wanted to run it from Austin, Tx to Myrtle Beach, SC. I haven't seen any headlines as of lately so has anyone heard anything about it?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone heard anything as of lately about the Interstate 14 project it was proposed in 2004 to run from Augusta, GA to Macon to Columbus/Phenix City to Montgomery, to Jackson, MS, to Natchez, MS. But last I heard about a year ago congress wanted to run it from Austin, Tx to Myrtle Beach, SC. I haven't seen any headlines as of lately so has anyone heard anything about it?

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Augusta's congressmen faced criticism (Augusta Chronical here) in general election for not doing more to promote proposed interstates. Columbus' leadership are sitting on the sidelines - AGAIN - and letting other cities drive the debate about where new proposed interstates go. Our economic development leaders (aka the chamber of commerce) will let the next round pass us by again costing us thousands more potential jobs? August has even stolen the concept of continuing I-81 from Tennessee as an alternative to I-3. Some in our community wanted I-81 down the west side of Georgia to Florida and re-designating I-185.

• 1 month later...

It got buried in the State section of the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer (article here), but the State Transportation honchos have come together to bring a message of doom to the Governor and new legislature. Underfunding transportation could cost Georgia hundreds of thousands of jobs in future years. The IT3 project is a centerpiece in the report the State leadership.

• 2 months later...

The city of College Station TX has joined the Gulf Coast Strategic Highway System Coalition. The organization exists to promote the I-14 development in Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi. We need an organization like this to keep the project alive in Alabama and Georgia, as well as others like I-22. KBTX article:

I_14_CollegeStTX.pdf

4Green%20system%20map.jpg

I_14_CollegeStTX.pdf

Archived