H'burg in between Jackson & the Coast

mattdev

Although I've perused this board for some months now, this is my first official post - I wanted some feedback on a concern I've had about Hattiesburg for some time now - As everyone in this area knows, H'burg is experiencing explosive growth, especially on the west side of town - My concern is not leadership, law enforcement or infrastructure - Its how Jackson's development and the Coast's rebuilding will hamper or detract from the Hub City - One is less than 90 miles away and Gulfport's city limits are about an hour's drive - Will this have any affect on how big or developed H'burg can become? - Thoughts please

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, I think it will help Hattiesburg grow. Hattiesburg should be able to benefit considerably from being squarely in the middle of the GO (Gulf Opportunity) Zone, so it ought to be able to take advantage of the considerable tax benefits to spur development. I'd love to see Hattiesburg build a large convention hotel at their convention center. This would be a catalyst for further growth.

By the way, a big welcome to you! It's great to see more interest in the Mississippi forum here. Please post any time you'd care to. I hope to see more from you. Tom Barnes

Although I've perused this board for some months now, this is my first official post - I wanted some feedback on a concern I've had about Hattiesburg for some time now - As everyone in this area knows, H'burg is experiencing explosive growth, especially on the west side of town - My concern is not leadership, law enforcement or infrastructure - Its how Jackson's development and the Coast's rebuilding will hamper or detract from the Hub City - One is less than 90 miles away and Gulfport's city limits are about an hour's drive - Will this have any affect on how big or developed H'burg can become? - Thoughts please

Interesting comments, I certainly hope H'burg can capitalize on its opportunity for growth - Here's a few things I predict and/or hope to see down the road - Please feel free to critique:

- Further and further development on Hwy 98 West, which is essentially Hattiesburg's version of Lakeland Drive; This growth west could tip the scales on Oak Grove incorporation - Not sure this is a good thing, as I have a vested interest in the further revitilization of Downtown H'burg - However, if incorporation sparked development of a New Urbanist / TND town center, I'm all for that

- Further revitilization of Downtown H'burg - I've worked downtown for the last 2 years, and this place is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was then, much less 10 yrs ago - Hopefully, developers will purchase the Ross Building downtown, which is ripe for retro-fit, and convert it into apts, condos, and/or offices - Also, continued rehab on the Faulkner Bldg could take Downtown development to the next level - Last, the proposed rehabilitation of the old H'burg High School into USM's art department would be a huge shot of Red Bull in the North Main area (Taurean J, this is the area you refer to) - Here's a link for more info on that, which I hope the Administrator will allow me to post

http://www.albertassociates.com/hhhs.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Hattiesburg will benefit if the two proposed interstates are built (one going from Wilmington, NC to somwhere west of Austin Texas, via Laurel and Collins; the other is the proposed Jackson to Gulfport interstate). It will basically form a giant triangle in South Mississippi with Hattiesburg, Laurel and Collins being the three points. HWY98 West may reach it's limit though because one of the proposed interstates will connect the Hattiesburg-Laurel Metro area with Natchez, They are planning on building a loop around Hattiesburg and Petal that will incorporate Gandy Pkwy, so that may prove to be the barrier of how far west the growth will go. I'm thinking the north side of the city along Hwy 49 and I-59 between Laurel and Hwy 49 will be the next big areas for growth and development/redevelopment. There are plenty of areas for Hattiesburg to grow in, South along US 11, North along the previously mentioned routes and West along HWY 98. Laurel and Hattiesburg are sure to benefit from the new interstates, and Collins will have to come along forcefully or willingly for the ride.

Yes, I think Jackson and Gulfport will have an effect on Hattiesburg's growth, but a positive one. Anytime cities are flourishing, cities around them benefit too. It can only help Hattiesburg if Gulfport is thriving, and vice versa. When they're both booming, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. As a region, south Mississippi becomes much more competitive with 2 anchors.

Think about it - you always see a Burger King and a McDonald's close together. Why? Not because they compete for business, but because it's much harder for them to exist alone. People may not drive down a street looking for something to eat if there's only a BK, but when there's a selection, everyone benefits. You especially see this with hotels, particularly Marriott who puts 2 of their own hotels side-by-side.

In a way, I see it the same with H'burg and G'port. Much better together than alone. Just my thoughts.

Btw...welcome to the forum. :thumbsup: I'll recommend Louisiana and Memphis for some good reading. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Hattiesburg is in a wonderful geographical position. We really are the "hub" of a large population base. I want to see more focus on a little known proposal to build an interstate that would provide better transportation to the east of Hattiesburg toward Montgomery, AL. It would be nice to see this road link up to the Evelyn Gandy Parkway. I think it would open up northern/eastern Hattiesburg and Petal to tremendous new business opportunity and growth. The Hattiesburg metro area needs to collaborate as a team to attract new corporate business and bring in new jobs/residents.

• 4 months later...

I have heard some people talking about the possible proposing of an interstate from Mobile to Hattiesburg. Then it would go from Hattiesburg to Jackson or connect with proposed I-14 to Natchez. Their main reasons are to give towns like Lucedale that are trying to recruit industrial and manufacturing plants access to the interstate system. They also say that it would create better transportation in south east Mississippi and help improve bussiness with Mobile's port (which is expanding from a capacity of 75,000 container per year to over 700,000 just after 2010). I know that highway 98 runs this route, but would an interstate really help Mobile (AL), George, Green, Perry, Forrest, and other counties in Mississippi?

Interesting comments, I certainly hope H'burg can capitalize on its opportunity for growth - Here's a few things I predict and/or hope to see down the road - Please feel free to critique:

- Further and further development on Hwy 98 West, which is essentially Hattiesburg's version of Lakeland Drive; This growth west could tip the scales on Oak Grove incorporation - Not sure this is a good thing, as I have a vested interest in the further revitilization of Downtown H'burg - However, if incorporation sparked development of a New Urbanist / TND town center, I'm all for that

- Further revitilization of Downtown H'burg - I've worked downtown for the last 2 years, and this place is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was then, much less 10 yrs ago - Hopefully, developers will purchase the Ross Building downtown, which is ripe for retro-fit, and convert it into apts, condos, and/or offices - Also, continued rehab on the Faulkner Bldg could take Downtown development to the next level - Last, the proposed rehabilitation of the old H'burg High School into USM's art department would be a huge shot of Red Bull in the North Main area (Taurean J, this is the area you refer to) - Here's a link for more info on that, which I hope the Administrator will allow me to post

http://www.albertassociates.com/hhhs.htm

The developer of Legacy Town Square updates the site very often. It is a very interesting project.

Also, for any of you that are interested, if you follow the link in my signature it takes you to the main Hattiesburg thread. I try and update it as much as possible. Thanks.

Archived