Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC)

yfreemark

Wow.. 2,800 seats is quite large. Is this going to be the largest theatre in the Triangle...or maybe even the State of NC?

With it being that size might it "steal" a few shows that might otherwise go to Progress Engergy Performing Arts Center in Raleigh?

If I remember correctly the Raleigh Memorial Auditiorium has about the same number of seats.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember correctly the Raleigh Memorial Auditiorium has about the same number of seats.

I don't think it matters which has more seats, it seems to me like the choice of auditorium is largely based on the area around it, as long as the seat numbers are pretty close, the surrounding area is the most important factor.

This is definitely great news for Durham and the Triangle.

I wonder, will durham become the artsy city out of the three?

• 1 month later...

Even with the newly democratic U.S. House, corruption continues to rule all in local government. Seems the Durham City Council violated state law against contract zoning in the process of approving the theater.

Story from The N&O

Story from The Herald-Sun

I'm surprised they were so willing to make such a shady deal with Duke. It absolutely reeks of "quid pro quo." Should the Durham City Council be sued?

Why couldn't they have sought $2 million from other sources (ie another corporate donor/s) to avoid this potential conflict of interest? Well one thing is that the rezoning isn't completed and final gift hasn't been received. They need to rethink this one.

I have no idea how this "pay for approval" passes any legal test. Couldn't they use some of that Capitol Broadcasting naming rights money for this? Or was that already factored in?

What if Durham *doesn't* give Duke everything it wants? How does it make up the $1.5 million gap?

And why wasn't this "plan B" the actual "plan A" to begin with?

Part of Erwin Road near Duke Hospital is already turning into a Duke only enclave. If this kind of development is allowed throughout Central Campus, 9th/Broad Street will suffer.

Wow. Mayor Bell can babble all he wants about legally defensible....there is a contract with Skanska, there is some sort of memorandum attached to the Duke gift that should detail what it can be used for etc., and there is a review process for the Duke-Anderson project. All perfectly "legally defensible" on their own legs. The contingent item in the "gift" is the obvious problem......the city better do a great job of documenting all exchanges during the review process....as a merchant nearby i would be excerising my right to freedom of information and be following the review weekly....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the link DanRNC

Looks like this will fit in nicely.. Nice project for Durham's downtown...

If Durham had a few condo projects similar to those U/C and proposed in Raleigh, their downtown would be set to explode. The Suntrust conversion will help this cause though..... should be at least 75-100 units in that building

Durham does have a long way to go in terms of getting a "safe" feeling downtown. But restricting development is no way to do this. I don't see people staying away from ballgames when they are going on. IMO the art center will do modestly well and will improve as the bull city turns its corners downtown. I hope they can curtail all the crime there eventually, because the city has a great charm downtown.

Durham does have a long way to go in terms of getting a "safe" feeling downtown. But restricting development is no way to do this. I don't see people staying away from ballgames when they are going on. IMO the art center will do modestly well and will improve as the bull city turns its corners downtown. I hope they can curtail all the crime there eventually, because the city has a great charm downtown.

Durham has a crime problem in some of the downtrodden neighborhoods to the east/southeastof downtown, yes. But downtown itself? It's really more an issue of perception than reality. Check out the Durham CrimeMapper online, and compare the crime levels around downtown to those two miles east. I work downtown and live 1 1/2 miles north of it and feel plenty safe walking/biking to work or going out to the Y, Rue Cler, Brightleaf, etc. during the day or night. Not to nitpick with you, because I think you're saying the same thing (reputation vs. reality).

And to pick up the point about downtown's charm: I came back from a day trip to Winston-Salem today and loved the charm of their Trade Street district. Would be great to see downtown Durham develop those kind of storefronts (which already do exist, to an extent, in Brightleaf/9th Street.)

Durham has a crime problem in some of the downtrodden neighborhoods to the east/southeastof downtown, yes. But downtown itself? It's really more an issue of perception than reality. Check out the Durham CrimeMapper online, and compare the crime levels around downtown to those two miles east. I work downtown and live 1 1/2 miles north of it and feel plenty safe walking/biking to work or going out to the Y, Rue Cler, Brightleaf, etc. during the day or night. Not to nitpick with you, because I think you're saying the same thing (reputation vs. reality).

Downtown Durham has recently been known as one of the safest areas in the city. I've been living and working here for a year and a half now and I too feel perfectly comfortable in these surroundings.

I think those who fear Durham most are the ones who are in Durham least.

That is my biggest problem with Durham. It just doesn't seem that they are trying to hard to shed the negative image. The police seem to still do a lackluster job in terms of controlling crime. Everytime there is a shooting, its all over the news around here just confirming the current image of Durham.

I'm not sure a PR campain would work, people might view that as trying to cover up the problem and make a joke out of it. The problem needs to be solved on a political level, and until that day, the image will always exist. Every little shooting, robbery, will help to cofirm this thanks to our local media.

Every little shooting, robbery, will help to cofirm this thanks to our local media.

That's right.

I think a lot of uninformed people think Durham's a lot smaller than it really is population-wise, which could add to the fuss. My girlfriend, with whom I've lived in Durham for almost two years, didn't believe me when I told her Durham was one of the nation's 100 largest cities. So if the average schmuck in Cary or Garner (or my girlfriend) thinks Durham's only got 50,000 or so citizens, the amount of crime reported would be alarming. But in reality, it's not so bad compared to other cities its size.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Latest photo from the Durham Herald-Sun newspaper

7dpac05339814.jpg

As the Durham performing-arts center rises on South Mangum Street, the city is selling rights to name the theater, the stage and the building itself.

Theater names up for grabs

By Ray Gronberg

The Herald-Sun

Aug 13, 2007

DURHAM -- Durham officials still are trying to lock up three naming-rights deals that will help finance the new performing-arts center rising on South Mangum Street downtown.

The city already has two deals in hand, but still is marketing the rights to name the 2,800-seat theater, the stage performers in the theater will use, and the building that houses it.

Capitol bought the rights to the plaza outside the theater building for $300,000 a year. Blue Cross followed by committing $100,000 a year for the rights to the theater's atrium.

The city intends to use the firms' money to cover a portion of the annual payments it'll have to make on the $44 million theater.

See entire article:

http://www.heraldsun.com/durham/4-872793.cfm?

Latest photo from the Durham Herald-Sun newspaper

7dpac05339814.jpg

As the Durham performing-arts center rises on South Mangum Street, the city is selling rights to name the theater, the stage and the building itself.

Theater names up for grabs

By Ray Gronberg

The Herald-Sun

Aug 13, 2007

DURHAM -- Durham officials still are trying to lock up three naming-rights deals that will help finance the new performing-arts center rising on South Mangum Street downtown.

The city already has two deals in hand, but still is marketing the rights to name the 2,800-seat theater, the stage performers in the theater will use, and the building that houses it.

Capitol bought the rights to the plaza outside the theater building for $300,000 a year. Blue Cross followed by committing $100,000 a year for the rights to the theater's atrium.

The city intends to use the firms' money to cover a portion of the annual payments it'll have to make on the $44 million theater.

See entire article:

http://www.heraldsun.com/durham/4-872793.cfm?

This will be a nice addition to the area, despite the controversy surrounding how it got funded.

As an aside in regard to the crime discussed above, I'd have to say that crime completely surrounds downtown. As a resident in a neighborhood very near downtown, I see unsavory activity on a near daily basis, and I live in a "good" block. Yes, I hear the occassional gun shots, but the property crime is probably the biggest concern. But I should also add that somebody tried to break into my house while I was sleeping no less than three weeks ago. I used to brush the problems off as those of any city, but it is getting close for me to the point where I'm ready to move out. There are plusses and minuses to living here, but don't let anybody tell you that the problems are limited to one area or are blown out of proportion. If you actually in the city and not out in southern Durham, you've probably experienced a little of what I speak.

Archived