NC: No Longer a Southern State?

sax184

I feel that often the people who say that NC is not the south tend to be North Carolinians wanting to disassociate themselves from the "southern" label and other southerns who feel they're state exemplifies "southern" more than NC. Honesty though, I imagine most other Americans from the non Southern areas of the country see North Carolina as part of the south and make little distinction btwn it and say South Carolina, Alabama, or Georgia.

The way I see it, when its not a rare event to see the Confederate flags displayed on homes, cars and etc in year 2006 - you're a southern state. When you're sitting in your HOA meeting and a candidate's son's display of a Confederate flag his car window is causes concern & debate - you're in the south. When hundreds are crowding the State House to sing Dixie and celebrate "Confederate Flag Day" while anothet portion of citizens are making the mental note to stay far away from the State House on that day (and sucking their teeth in disgust) - you're in the South. These are defining southern moments, imo. They're not happening in places that are not non-Southern.

NC is the south. If you live in LA, Seattle, Detroit, NYC, Boston, Omaha, Chicago, Las Vegas, Denver, etc and you send your kid to Duke University or UNC you'd say you're kid goes to college in "The south" and people would know that that didn't mean LA, Seattle, Detroit, NYC, Boston, Omaha, Chicago, Las Vegas, or Denver, etc but would guess you might be taking about North Carolina.

Everything about NC's history and current culture is southern, imo, it's history and culture defines the term as much as South Carolina, Georgia or Alabama. And you feel that even more when you travel or live outside of the south and then come to this state.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

metro..I gave my opinion. I wasn't aware I had to justify my feelings on the matter but since you asked.

I'm from NY but I have family throughout the south - that includes South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Virginia. I've never "lived" in the south until now but throughout my childhood I would visit with relatives in these states and stay with them for the summer months. My mom's roots are southern & rural- it wasn't really until her generation that some members of that side of the family moved "up north". When I say rural I mean chicken coops, raising cattle, slopping pigs, butchering, smoke houses, scrap iron liquor, make your own soap, worked in the fields picking tobacco & cotton kind of upbringing. As an adult, I have traveled within the south as well as to various cities across the US and countries outside of the US. No, my only feelings on NC are not based soley on a comparison to NYC alone.

I think for many the term "the south" brings to mind Confederates State heritage and its influence. It brings to mind a slower paced lifestyle and a rural sensibility. You think tobacco production and tobacco chewing. It brings to mind communities w/ very strong demonstrative attachment to the Christian church, particularly baptist. It brings to mind certain dialects and slang, foods, and ways of life. You think Nascar and the crowds that like this kind of sport. I don't believe NC has moved beyond these general identifying touch points despite its many transplants.

I assume the every area has its stereotypes associated with it. The reality of these stereotypes is often quite different and especially in regards to the "South".

The point of this topic is to discuss that difference in regards to NC. I assume many who don't have as much experience with the place will disagree more so than with people who have lived here longer.

It don't think its a stereotype to say that NC confederate state history that links it to other southern states, that has left a serious imprint on the culture and the people, and that distinguishes it greatly from places that would be considered non-southern. Of course every area has generalities associated with its look & character but given title of the topic, I think discussing whether those generalities still apply is relevant. And I believe that the things I listed are very much a part of NC, factor into its flavor and vibe, and more importantly distinguishes it as one of the southern states.

The Appalachian accent - W of the Blue Ridge from N GA up into PA; unlike anything else in the South

The Piedmont accent - down the middle from VA (?) to GA or AL

The multiple coast accents; especially the Harkers Island, Outer banks and Tidewater accents, all again unlike anything else in the South

To regress to an earlier portion of this prolific thread, Victory Church in Stone Mountain, GA recently joined the United Church of Christ explicitly because of its pro-gay policies and became the UCC's second largest church. Victory Church is a predominantly black congregation and is headed by Dr. Kenneth L. Samuel, who has been very vocal in his support of gay rights. Dr. Samuel is also an NAACP chapter president.

http://www.victoryfortheworld.org/

Note that the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN) is a regional sports cable network. MASN serves a 7 state area, from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to Charlotte, including Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, the District of Columbia, and parts of West Virginia. Of course, Turner South also covers part of North Carolina too, which reflects North Carolina's dual status as Southern and Mid-Atlantic.

True indeed considering North Carolina's historically small Catholic population---I would imagine most Catholics are transplants. I'm Catholic and consider myself Southern (even though I live in Georgia so it doesn't count I know). Edited for relevance.

I revise my earlier statement--North Carolina is firmly Mid-Atlantic with some Southern qualities. How about that?

^ Well, I hate to brag, but we are pretty hard-core Southern down here :) , but I've honestly never noticed that big of difference between the states. My girlfriend's sister and husband live in High Point (and my girlfriend spent most of her life in High Point) and they sound the same as I do really---to me anyway, although that is always a subjective topic because no one thinks they sound like a hick, but I digress.

Interesting story: I was watching the news one night up there and the lead story--no kidding--was of the Daytona 500 or whatever it's called---complete with on-the-scene reporters. My girlfriend's brother laughed and said, "yeah, you know you're in the South when Nascar is the lead story. I bet they don't do that in Augusta." My reply was "no, but they do it for golf. And our t.v. stations can't afford on-the-scene reporters anyway unless it happens in Columbia." Funny story. Hahaha :huh:

That's the reason I try to sound really really Southern when I'm on the phone with people from other parts of the country---throw in some Rhett Butler (my family name is Ashley, hehe) and they're eating out of your hand.

Somewhat related but not really, I had a friend of mine who was interviewing a person from south Georgia who kept talking about a "hose pipe." My friend had absoutely no idea what a hose pipe was---each time she said it, he would just go, "A what??? What? A hose pap?? What is that?"

^ Ooooh, you should really go into south Georgia---I'm talking about maybe an hour or so south of Macon, down near Tifton, Albany (pronounced by the locals Al-Be'nny) down through that area. Savannah is kind of got that Charleston-type accent--Augusta has it too I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived