Alpine Meijer To Get New Face

It looks like they have relocated many of the parking spaces in the lot by grinding off the old lines and painting new ones. I also see that they have painted crosswalks in front of the new doors and added other pavement markings. I'm assuming this means that the parking lot will not be repaved?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I recall the lot was repaved about 3-4 years ago. Considering some parking lots I have seen it is in real good shape.

It looks like they have relocated many of the parking spaces in the lot by grinding off the old lines and painting new ones. I also see that they have painted crosswalks in front of the new doors and added other pavement markings. I'm assuming this means that the parking lot will not be repaved?

On the south east corner of the property, there used to be a 1950's George Jetson style building that housed a Rent-A-Center and one other tenant. That Building was demolished many years ago to expand the parking lot. Though that section of parking lot is never really used because its a bit of hike to get to the store from there.

Construction Update:

The remarking of the parking lot appears to be done. Mostly consentrated to the front drive, the parking lot now features three petestrian crossings, 1 for each entrance and the thrird for access to the garden center. Also there is a special pull-up lane infront of the former center entrance for some kind of curb side service. As for the exterior work on the building itself. Consider it done. Though I did see a latter up on the roof today. But that is probably for service techs to get access to the HVAC unit over aisle 7 to fix the buzzing niose. So the set of pictures I've included in this post will probably the last set unless I see any more note worthy changes or the Alpine Meijer holds a Grand Reopening. I will be making a video slide show of the renovation from start to finish and post it on Youtube. But I'm holding off on that until I know for sure the Alpine Meijer holds a grand reopening or not.

Inside, the mezzinine restrooms are open and have been for a while now. They now sport the same type of flexstone flooring as found in the vestibules of both entrnaces. Also the drop ceilings they once had have been replaced by drywalled ceiling painted white. Other than these two changes they are still as they were before the renovation.

Back down stairs, the temporary cable strung through the retail entrance is still there. In the rear concourse infront of the hardware dept. a worker in a manlift was doing some minor pipework to the automatic spricker system overhead. Lastly the floors have received a good bath. However one can still tell which sections of floor have been down longer from others as more recently installed sections are whiter than section installed earlier in the renovation. However normal wear and tear will eventually even the floor out over time. I'm sure these and other details will eventually be dealt with over the next few months. So if a Grand Reopening is held at the Alpine Meijer, I'm predicting early to mid September which would offically make the renovation last one full year from start to finish.

Here's a photo of the front facade as of today. I'd upload some more but Imageshack and my other imagehost are acting like jerks today. Anyway It looks to be done and sure makes the store look a million times better than before. In fact anyone who visits this store for the first time will be hard press to tell that it is a 40+ year old building. It's clean lines and simplistic design ought to hold this store over for at least 15 to 20 years before any future maijor renovations need to be done.

542892493_3babb6218a_b.jpg

I gotta know.. do you work for Meijer.. or the construction company? or someone related to the project?.. these are the most detailed and frequent construciton updates I think I've seen on UP...

Actually, PBJ I'm just a very observant person. The family and I have been doing our shopping at this store for over seventeen years. Since the bulk of our grocery shopping is done at the Alpine Meijer, this has placed me in a very unique possition to keenly observe a Meijer renovation from start to finish. Even before the renovation I've always liked this perticular Meijer store. Excited that the Alpine Meijer was finnally going to receive a much overdue remodel and wishing to give UP members a detailed look at how such a large building is renovated, I decided to use this thread to create as detailed of a log of this store's renovation as possible. Hopfully the results have been informative thus far.

.....and yes, as Veloise commented, I am a very loyal Meijer customer.

Construction Update:

Two "Thank You for Shopping" posters are currently being installed over the exits. These dark blue posters feature a collage of vintage Meijer photos set to a background made up of dot matrix text from old store receipt. One of the photos is of the old Greenville grocery store before it was destroyed by fire. Another is the interior shot of Meijer's first Grand Rapids store located on Fuller just north of Michigan St during its grand opening. Ironically that store was the last of the Meijer supermarkets to be closed when Meijer was focusing efforts solely on operating its chain of supercenters. That store is now a Dutler Foods. The third photograph is of an old cash register that dates back to the early fifties. Overseeing the installation of the posters were two workers lead by what I assumed to be a very high level Meijer exec from the Corporate HQ based on his spiffy business suit he was wearing.

Lastly more blue carts have been brought in and are being stored under the front canopy between the former center entrance and the Grocery Entrance.

Finishing Update:

Since the store's renovation is essentially complete with only minor details to deal with, I will refer to any future updates as "Finishing Updates".

Anyway. The temporary cable dangling through the retail entrance's vestibule has been removed. This as allowed the retail entrance's tapestry to be fully unfurled. However the holes from the temporary cable need to be patched up. Also the "Thank You for Shopping" poster over the retail exits is still only half done due to one of the temp cable holes.

The store as of today:

facade061407nd1.jpg

Was there today:

The HVAC unit in Aisle 7 is still making the buzzing hornet noise which was annoying. And the Thank you for shopping sign still isn't finished yet above the retail entrance.

If your real sweaty hot, once place to go is the restrooms in the grocery entrance. It was ice cold in there.

I made a stop here the other day...the interior is nice, but weird for me to see since it's such a complete change from the old layout. I'd been going to this Meijer since I was a baby, so I was well used to it. We only stopped going there once we moved near Standale and that Meijer was completed. I probably won't be spending much time at the Alpine location, but it has been done well. My only problem was staffing. It wasn't that busy at all when I was there-- we'd only a few people in front of us at the service desk and it took a good half hour or more for our turn...but what I remember of the Alpine Meijer, a good wait is typical.

I know what you mean. The transformation from old to new is absolutely mind boggling. Its hard to believe that the Alpine store was along side the 28th St./K'zoo store as the target of every "This Meijer is Cramped and Outdated" complaint on UP less than a year ago. Now the place is absolutely stellar.

I made a stop here the other day...the interior is nice, but weird for me to see since it's such a complete change from the old layout. I'd been going to this Meijer since I was a baby, so I was well used to it. We only stopped going there once we moved near Standale and that Meijer was completed. I probably won't be spending much time at the Alpine location, but it has been done well. My only problem was staffing. It wasn't that busy at all when I was there-- we'd only a few people in front of us at the service desk and it took a good half hour or more for our turn...but what I remember of the Alpine Meijer, a good wait is typical.

Finish Updates: (For yesterday)

I spoke with one of the cashiers yesterday asking if the Alpine store was going to hold a the grand reopening. She told me that there will be a grand reopening and it will be held sometime in the beginning of August.

As for progress, the "Thank You For Shopping Poster" over the retail exits is still incomplete. However the holes from the temporary cable that once hung in the retail entrance's vestibule are patched up. So after they cure and are painted over the other half of the poster should be hung. Also the barrier blocking off the former center entrance space has been taken down. Two of the store's three penny horses have been moved into that space.

Wrapping things up is the vacant in-store tenant alcove next to the Chase Bank. A wall with two door openings has been constructed dividing the space in two. After a trip to the Jenison Meijer, I'm becoming more certain that this space will be home to the vision center once it makes its return to the Alpine store. So sorry caffeine addicts, no Starbucks here. But don't despair you'll soon have one just down the road.

Finishing Update:

Outside, the entire line of tall bollards protecting the front of the store have been sheathed in decorative plastic sleeves giving them a more finished and aesthetically pleasing appearance. Meanwhile the Meijer gas station has received new signs and blue accents to tie it in with the store itself. Also the tops of the gas pumps have new graphics as well. Other than these cosmetic changes, the gas stations remains as it was before the renovation.

Inside the patchwork in retail entrances vestibule has been painted. Also the "Thank You for Shopping" poster over the retail exits is now complete. Heading north along the front promenade, one will notice that the two penny horses located in the center entrance are now accompanied by a bench and the two electronic job application kiosks once located next to the Customer Service desk.

Heading to the grocery section will reveal that the buzzing noise emitted by the HVAC unit over aisle 7 has been tone down but still present. In the frozen food aisles, trim bezels are being installed along the bottom of the coolers. One will also notice that the toe kicks of some grocery aisles are missing or have not been installed yet.

Returning to the front of the store, the walls of the cafe area above the blue band have been repainted from orange to a light lime green. This was a wise revision as the cafe area now looks more welcoming than before.

Lastly, the vinyl base board moldings in the Grocery Entrance's vestibule and in the restrooms have been removed from the walls for some unknown reason. Perhaps installation was faulty and thus needs to be redone.

A photo of the Alpine Meijer gas station and its pumps sporting there new cosmetic treatments.

gasstationak2.jpg

Finishing Updates:

Outside the four small vents below the store sign have been painted to better blend them into facade.

Beginning today's interior update are the appearance of new graphics suspended just above the meat and seafood counters. They look like menu boards. However, these graphics are text and illustrations bragging up the freshness of the meat and seafood products. The Bakery, Deli, and Delicious to Go will likely receive similar graphics at some later date.

Heading to the future home of the vision center, one will notice the installation of a gray commercial grade carpet in progress. Be aware that the adhesive being used has a strong noxious oder within 40 feet of the new vision center.

Lastly, the two electronic job application kiosks have been moved from the former center entrance space back to their previous locations next to the customer service service desk. This has cleared the former center entrance space to make way for new vending machines being offloaded from a box truck parked in front of the retail entrance.

The Store as of today. Notice the box truck parked in front of the retail entrance as new vending machines are being offloaded.

storefront6252007lh6.jpg

Shot with DSC-P200.

On the south east corner of the property, there used to be a 1950's George Jetson style building that housed a Rent-A-Center and one other tenant. That Building was demolished many years ago to expand the parking lot. Though that section of parking lot is never really used because its a bit of hike to get to the store from there.

You know, as to what I recall, it used to be an old meijer gas station. Then it was demolished when the new gas station opened up. I don't recall what year it was when they did that.

I missed this one 2 weeks ago :rolleyes: That building housed Meijers "Sagebrush" and "Casual Corner" on the upper level facing the store and the gas station was on the lower level facing Alpine. I want to say the gas station sold automotive "stuff" as well but I'd have to ask a fellow employee that worked there part time a lonnggg time ago. Not sure about that parking lot today but at one time. that's where the employees were supposed to park. (Neighbor lady has worked there 30 years this month)

Now that I think about it, I do remember the old gas station as well. I also remember how cramped it was inside its convenience store despite featuring 2 story high ceiling. It was less than half the size of the current station. The lighting was horrible too. Industrial style xenon lights give the interior a weird yellowish tent that was really hard on the eyes. I'm glad it was replaced by the current station about a decade ago. However every time we use the current station all the pumps are occupied and we have to wait at least 10 to 15 minutes before a pump is freed up. Maybe Meijer should buy out the 5/3 drive through's next door and build a bigger gas station or at least replace the existing one with a new station featuring the more spacious and high capacity t-shaped layout.

I missed this one 2 weeks ago :rolleyes: That building housed Meijers "Sagebrush" and "Casual Corner" on the upper level facing the store and the gas station was on the lower level facing Alpine. I want to say the gas station sold automotive "stuff" as well but I'd have to ask a fellow employee that worked there part time a lonnggg time ago. Not sure about that parking lot today but at one time. that's where the employees were supposed to park. (Neighbor lady has worked there 30 years this month)

Went there today:

The in store tenant up front by the grocery entrance will most likely be the vision center returning now. If you look in the space, you can see rooms back there. Also at the space of the former center entrance, the penny horses are still there, but no vending machines are there. In the grocery entrance itself, the baseboards itself have been fixed.

Heading to the grocery section: If you look at the Aisle 1 sign closer to the meat wall, you will notice that part of it is missing. Also, the Aisle 17 sign is still not there. And some of the old red and white words are still up there yet. The kicks of the shelves have never returned since they redid the floor. Maybe very few shelves will have them.

Wow, the lack of ventilation in the (green) grocery entrance really hits you in the face while leaving. Maybe the greeter should stand closer to a door so it stays open more, cools off the space.

I figured out the trick: park in the middle of the lot (out front of the former middle entrance). Go in one, pick up sundries, exit through grocery.

They should power-wash the parking lot; it looks terrible next to the pretty new facade and interior.

Wow, the lack of ventilation in the (green) grocery entrance really hits you in the face while leaving. Maybe the greeter should stand closer to a door so it stays open more, cools off the space.

I figured out the trick: park in the middle of the lot (out front of the former middle entrance). Go in one, pick up sundries, exit through grocery.

They should power-wash the parking lot; it looks terrible next to the pretty new facade and interior.

Finishing Update:

Beginning today's update is the appearance of new graphics and menu boards in the bakery, deli. and Delicious to Go. Once complete, they will feature various menus of each of the services' offerings. These new graphics and menu boards are attached to a suspended frieze board that extends over the cafe's condiments and fountain drinks area at one end and over the bread section at the other end. The result is much needed visual interest to draw the eye away from the stark white walls defining the work areas behind the display cabinets.

Meanwhile, the new Vision Center is quickly shaping up as new furniture, fixtures, and various display cabinets have been moved into place and installed. Even some elements of its graphics program can be seen hanging on the walls above display cases lining all three walls.

As for the vending machines I mentioned in my previous update, I did not see them either. So one of two things could offer explanation. First the vending machines I saw were old units being removed or secondly new vending machines were being delivered and were meant for the employee break room upstairs in the mezzanine.

The Store as of today:

store06292007tn6.jpg

Shot with DSC-P200 at 2007-06-29

Archived