Events in Shreveport-Bossier

dimebag1980

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about we add yet another just-announced event? :)

A nationally touring blues festival will be making a stop at CenturyTel Center on February 25. The tour will include such names as Theodis Ealey, Bobby Rush, Mel Waiters, Marvin Sease, Latimore, Shirley Brown, Bobby Blue Bland and Sir Charles Jones, according to the following article.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/70124025

• 2 weeks later...

The Shreveport-Bossier AF2 team, the Battle Wings, has made a significant roster change this year. They've signed former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Quincy Carter. He's hoping arena football will be his spring board back to the NFL. Personall, I liked Quincy. He had a lot of work to do, but I liked the fact that he was willing to run the ball if necessary. Unfortunately, though, he relied on his running skills more than his throwing skills.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../702020318/1001

• 3 months later...

Wow, this is shaping up to be an eventful weekend!

Mudbug Madness will be this coming weekend, which I'd forgotten about. I thought it was still a week or two off... didn't realize this is the last weekend of the month. As it turns out, according to The Shreveport Times, a crew from Emeril Live will be at the event this year to film footage for an upcoming episode of Emeril Live.

Also, being Memorial Day weekend, the Boardwalk will be decked out with 7' tall inflatable Uncle Sam likenesses, the light towers along the Boardwalk riverfront will be colored red, white and blue, and many other activities.

Another event happening this weekend... something I'd like to see if I had a chance (doubt I will, though) on Saturday there will be a reenactment of the ambush on Bonnie and Clyde. They will also reenact some of the robberies and other shootouts from the couple's crime spree. This will all be happening in Gibsland... about 40 miles east of Shreveport... where Bonnie and Clyde's crime spree came to a very deadly end.

These are the most notable items I've noticed this coming weekend.

Sure wish I didn't already have plans for this weekend...

There is a nice new "digital" billboard on I-12 in Baton Rouge and one of the images is promoting the "Mudbug Madness" ! Sounds like lots of fun!

Wow, I forgot that's where Bonnie & Clyde's rampage ended! Interesting stuff! Thanks Brian!

My brother said he was very impressed with SBC riverfront when he recently passed thru there. :thumbsup:

There is a nice new "digital" billboard on I-12 in Baton Rouge and one of the images is promoting the "Mudbug Madness" ! Sounds like lots of fun!

Wow, I forgot that's where Bonnie & Clyde's rampage ended! Interesting stuff! Thanks Brian!

My brother said he was very impressed with SBC riverfront when he recently passed thru there. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

As of 2008 a new sports team will be starting up in Shreveport-Bossier. The Shreveport-Bossier Stallions of the ABA (American Basketball Association) will be the team, but I didn't see where they'll be playing.

It will be nice to have minor league basketball back in this region, and this time they have a normal name like Stallions, as opposed to the Crawdads, which I believe was the name of a basketball team we had a few years ago.

http://www.nwlanews.com/index.php?option=c...06&Itemid=1

This Sci-Port Space Center pic was taken in Baton Rouge on I-12 near Sherwood Forest Blvd. going west-bound. :thumbsup:

more025oa8.jpg

^^And just a few miles up the road; saw a cool "Mud Bug Madness" logo advertised on the new Lamar Digital Billboard off of (left-side) I- 12 westbound near Jefferson.

I agree Bryde the Boardwalk needs to be advertised more down this way. I really wish it had been completed last time I was in SBC.

I am glad to see SBC gaining momentum with the new developments!!! The Convention Center Hotel is now open, the Boardwalk continues to expand; Can't wait to see some Villagio construction pics too. :shades: And I am hoping Bossier City to land the premier development Cyber Command Center !!!

After Bossier lands the Cyber Command Center ,..more "Villagio" types of development can start at Cane's Landing and Cross Bayou too!!!

Byrde, I agree... even though Richy points out some billboards obviously there aren't many, otherwise it would probably stand out in your mind.

Boardwalk definitely needs to be advertised more, but with the upcoming Lafayette development by the same company I'd be willing to bet they don't advertise the Boardwalk down that way. They really should, though, in my opinion.

Mudbug Madness should get some good exposure when it airs on Emeril Live, though I don't know when that will be.

Richy, as far as the basketball team, professional minor league teams never seem to make it here. The Mudbugs hockey team have been the best success story in local sports history since The Captains, but I do wish the Stallions success.

Richy thanks for pointing out that billboard. I've never seen it, but I'm rarely on that side of town.

SBC I can understand the Boardwalk not advertising because they plan to build a location near Lafayette. BUT until it is build, sell it to the folks down south until you open your location in Acadiana.

Richy thanks for pointing out that billboard. I've never seen it, but I'm rarely on that side of town.

SBC I can understand the Boardwalk not advertising because they plan to build a location near Lafayette. BUT until it is build, sell it to the folks down south until you open your location in Acadiana.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The Highland Jazz & Blues Festival, located in Shreveport's historic Highland neighborhood, is such a nice event in our cultural landscape... and yet again I missed it!!! Looks like a LOT of fun.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/71117022

For those with pre-teen daughters at home, Miley Cyrus hits the CTC on Nov. 15th...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/708100342

Archived