Huntsville Highways and Roads

aupatt10

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a telling article in the Times this morning that quantifies just how poorly this booming metro area is being funded for road construction and improvements.

Madison County, the only large county in the state that is growing (and growing rapidly) gets back only 53% of the gasoline tax that is collected and sent to the state. By contrast, Montgomery County with it's stagnant or shrinking population, gets 110% ... and Tuscaloosa County, relatively small in population, gets 177%.

And the Governor says it's not going to get any better. The state Transportation Department says he's "offended" by the notion that Madison County is being shorted.

Well ... I'm offended that he's "offended" ....

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

There's a telling article in the Times this morning that quantifies just how poorly this booming metro area is being funded for road construction and improvements.

Madison County, the only large county in the state that is growing (and growing rapidly) gets back only 53% of the gasoline tax that is collected and sent to the state. By contrast, Montgomery County with it's stagnant or shrinking population, gets 110% ... and Tuscaloosa County, relatively small in population, gets 177%.

And the Governor says it's not going to get any better. The state Transportation Department says he's "offended" by the notion that Madison County is being shorted.

All of North Alabama is getting shortchanged. I can't remember the last time Morgan County got anything worth mentioning in the way of funding for roadwork besides the Beltline. And do you even realize how long it's taken to get ALDOT to do the Beltline!? Good lord, nearly a decade. It's been over capacity for over a decade. I think ALDOT assumes that North Alabama can pay for itself cause we're "rich", same goes for Birmingham Area, and Mobile. Most of the places that need funding aren't getting it.

I hope this article gets people not just around here, but around the state angry. Road money that should be going to Alabama cities (not just Huntsville) is being shifted to "high priority economic development projects" in rural areas. Projects that should take no more than a year or two get stretched out into a decade (or decades, like the Huntsville Bypass system, started in 1965, scheduled to be completed no earlier than 2030). And the idea of making the Southern Bypass (or any other road) a toll road- that's just the state's way of getting out of a promise they made to build the road years ago. Quit making excuses, Alabama. It's time for a change.

Notable quotes in the article:

"Riley said other fast-growing areas of the state, such as Baldwin, Lee and Shelby counties, are where highway dollars may be needed the most right now."

Wrong answer, Bob! Are any of those counties getting at least 7500 high paying jobs in the next 4 years? I don't think so.

"Riley said when the Interstate 565 spur was built in Madison County, 'you got more than your fair share.'"

Hold on a second- Huntsville needed that interstate spur. The state shafted us when the interstate system was built, and gave the other three large cities adequate interstate networks (for the time). Besides, that was almost 20 years ago, and we only get half our "fair share" today!

I hope this article gets people not just around here, but around the state angry. Road money that should be going to Alabama cities (not just Huntsville) is being shifted to "high priority economic development projects" in rural areas. Projects that should take no more than a year or two get stretched out into a decade (or decades, like the Huntsville Bypass system, started in 1965, scheduled to be completed no earlier than 2030). And the idea of making the Southern Bypass (or any other road) a toll road- that's just the state's way of getting out of a promise they made to build the road years ago. Quit making excuses, Alabama. It's time for a change.

"Riley said other fast-growing areas of the state, such as Baldwin, Lee and Shelby counties, are where highway dollars may be needed the most right now."

Wrong answer, Bob! Are any of those counties getting at least 7500 high paying jobs in the next 4 years? I don't think so.

"Riley said when the Interstate 565 spur was built in Madison County, 'you got more than your fair share.'"

Hold on a second- Huntsville needed that interstate spur. The state shafted us when the interstate system was built, and gave the other three large cities adequate interstate networks (for the time). Besides, that was almost 20 years ago, and we only get half our "fair share" today!

McInnes needs to resign. He obviously doesn't know anything about the traffic problems up here. Maybe our area leaders take get him and Riley on a ride on the Parkway, 565, 53, 72 East and West, and Winchester during rush hour and see how "offended" they are after that about not getting our fair share of our tax dollars.

Considering we are the fastest growing metro area in the the state, we're just not appreciated. Maybe we should just separate and become our own state. Or at least threaten them that we will- maybe then the state will pay attention to us.

FWIW, a lot of the Tuscaloosa County figure (1990 to 2005) was due to Mercedes,

and widening the road from there into metro Birmingham, so although it gets credited

as a Tuscaloosa project, the main benefit is to Birmingham-area commuters, rather than

for people who actually live in Tuscaloosa.

I do agree that Huntsville deserves a bigger return from the state, especially considering its growth compared

to most of the state.

McInnes needs to resign. He obviously doesn't know anything about the traffic problems up here. Maybe our area leaders take get him and Riley on a ride on the Parkway, 565, 53, 72 East and West, and Winchester during rush hour and see how "offended" they are after that about not getting our fair share of our tax dollars.

Considering we are the fastest growing metro area in the the state, we're just not appreciated. Maybe we should just separate and become our own state. Or at least threaten them that we will- maybe then the state will pay attention to us.

Pieces of stories that show the complete failure this organization has become, this is just a simple interchange

never mind complex projects like highway 280, Southern Bypass or Mobile Bay bridge.

The planned, promised, proposed new interchange at I-65 and Tanner Rd in Limestone county.

This is no reflection on the hard working employees of ALDOT or contractors, they are held hostage as well, this is all due to the

poor management and lack of leadership by the director.

JULY 2007 Decatur Daily

TANNER

Look, when the interstate system was being planned, it was by the federal government, I'm pretty sure. But, no one had any clue that Huntsville was going to be such a HUGE town. Back then, Decatur looked like it was going to be the power house, if any city in North Alabama was. So, they routed it near us, there was no "shafting".

I'm not at all trying to downplay any of this, because, Huntsville does need the money more than most other areas. I'm just trying to be a voice of reason.

I think the big two in North Alabama need more money. Huntsville is CURRENTLY getting shafted with money. You can't just simply build a brand new interstate spur into a high growth area, then expect transit work to be finished. If it was growing fast back then, it could possibly be growing just as fast or faster now. Riley's arguement was invalid there when he said Huntsville and area got more than their fair share. Currently, Huntsville's fair share would include carrying out at least half of the major projects in Madison County and Limestone County. I would consider that a fair share.

About the other counties needing it more. Lee does not, I can tell you that. Baldwin yes, and Shelby yes. Shelby Counties traffic is horrible, just as Huntsville's can get. Baldwin needs evacuation improvements, big time.

Huntsville, you don't need to "scare" the state into submission. Regional partnership is the answer. The state can't survive nearly as well if they don't have North Alabama. That's not being arrogent, that's the truth. HSV kinda needs to realize that there are other towns in the area that also need money. As sad as it is to mention this, the Decatur Area gets ignored because Huntsville is soooo close. Not only do they take development and growth away, we don't get as much money. We are rarely represented at the Federa level. The city is literally divided into a right and left wing side, and two representatives share the town. Cramer likes Huntsville more, and Aderholt doesn't even pay attention.

Can't we just work together!!!????

Sorry just read this.

"That's not how we build roads today," said Joe McInnes, state transportation director. "I'm offended by the fact that somebody thinks they have been discriminated against."

WOW, that's embarrasing. He really needs to take a look at the state's transit system, then say that again.

http://www.al.com/opinion/huntsvilletimes/....xml&coll=1

Missing road money

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Huntsville Times

Local leaders say we've been shortchanged, and they may be right

Huntsville and the Huntsville area need a number of road projects if they are to accommodate the expected (and already begun) influx of federal employees under the Pentagon's base-alignment program.

That would be aggravating enough. But what is beginning to cause friction here is the belief of city officials and others that the state's spending on local roads is both insufficient and unfair.

When do you think construction will start on this? This is great news for Northeast Huntsville. Things can get down around here if we aren't depending on the state unfortunately.

Moores Mill extension

The Huntsville City Council Thursday night approved a contract to build a short extension of Moores Mill Road and a service road that will connect Old Gurley Road and High Mountain Road. Reed Contracting Services Inc. was awarded a contract for more than $4.55 million to build the roads and related drainage and underground utilities. The work will include extending Moores Mill about 700 feet on the south side of U.S. 72. The end of the extension will tie into a new service road of about a mile that will run along the south side of U.S. 72 from Old Gurley Road to High Mountain Road on top of Chapman Mountain. The service road will be three and five lanes. The company will have 11/2 years to complete the project. The company will not be allowed to close any lanes on U.S. 72 for construction between 6:30 and 8:30 a.m. and between 4 and 6 p.m. The road work is among the public improvements included in a tax-increment financing district approved last fall. Harris Hill Development LLC, which plans residential and commercial development on the south side of U.S. 72, paid for the design of the road project and will pay any construction costs that exceed the city's $5 million commitment.

From the Birmingham News

"Cramer said a top priority must be given to building the southern bypass across Redstone Arsenal from Interstate 565 to U.S. 431 in Huntsville to help relieve traffic on those two roads.

Every option must be considered between the state and federal governments to get the road built, Cramer said. The bypass would cost millions to build and building it as a toll road with public and private sector money is a possibility, he said.

The road also could be built in segments, Cramer said.

Cramer said the state needs to make this road a priority. The BRAC jobs being moved to Redstone is bigger than any single industrial announcement in the state, he said.

(ouch :stop: easy you might ruffle some feathers.)

The Alabama Department of Transportation does have millions of dollars in preliminary engineering and some construction targeted for the bypass in the state's five-year plan.

When does the area need the bypass? "Yesterday," Cramer said."

There are groups in Georgia opposed to I-3 that is to run through the Smokey Mountains. As an alternative, many are beginning to promote an option for an eastern extension of I-30 from Little Rock. The extension would travel along extreme north Mississippi, Alabama (through Huntsville), enter Georgia in at Rome, then start heading east/southeast across north Georgia, to avoid the mountain region, traversing Augusta, GA then heading to Hilton Head, SC.

I-30.jpg

Link to I-DOTS blog. What could make this fly is the fact that it would provide an east-west freeway in North GA that the GA DOT really wants, but that gets shot down as a 'Northern Arc' for Atlanta. (I-30 would actually be a little further north). Also it would put metro areas like Huntsville and Rome on the map. It looks like it even picks up Tupelo?

There are groups in Georgia opposed to I-3 that is to run through the Smokey Mountains. As an alternative, many are beginning to promote an option for an eastern extension of I-30 from Little Rock. The extension would travel along extreme north Mississippi, Alabama (through Huntsville), enter Georgia in at Rome, then start heading east/southeast across north Georgia, to avoid the mountain region, traversing Augusta, GA then heading to Hilton Head, SC.

I-30.jpg

Link to I-DOTS blog. What could make this fly is the fact that it would provide an east-west freeway in North GA that the GA DOT really wants, but that gets shot down as a 'Northern Arc' for Atlanta. (I-30 would actually be a little further north). Also it would put metro areas like Huntsville and Rome on the map. It looks like it even picks up Tupelo?

If you travel I-565 eastbound this is what you can't make out on the downtown signs

1152888268.jpg

they are acting as directionals for people coming to the big highway conference this coming week at the Von Braun Center.

(nothing westbound yet)

They are temporary and you can't make out what it is, interesting that this conference is in HSV, the city ALDOT shortchanges the most

in regard to money spent on projects.

I-30.jpg

From the Huntsville times reader writes...

Narrow look

Columns and letters have recently appeared in The Times critical of Gov. Bob Riley for the below-average return in road money to Huntsville and Madison County.

These writers are only taking a narrow look at state money provided.

Recently, Riley provided $50 million to start the Hudson Alpha Institute. And Riley's administration has always been generous in supporting Huntsville as a space exploration center.

The state through ADECA gave $100,000 toward the Saturn V Restoration effort. Visitors now can see a genuine Saturn V as they enter Huntsville on Interstate 565.

Additionally, the state gives the U.S. Space & Rocket Center about $325,000 annually.

The local BRAC commission has received about $100,000 from the state to help attract defense and missile commands personnel to the Huntsville area.

The state, under the Riley administration, contributed to the development of the General Officer houses on Redstone.

These homes have drawn high accolades from major commanders and help in influencing the location of major commands to Redstone.

And, concerning roadwork, the recent Governors Drive project that went from the Parkway through our medical district to Madison Street cost $5.8 million and will be $11 million when the planned work is completed at California Street. Ninety percent of that project is state-funded.

The governor's staff follows the development of supported projects to see that such state contributions are getting results and progressing Alabama.

When the Katrina disaster struck, every other Gulf state and federal agencies involved were in chaos, except Alabama.

Aloysius I. Reisz,

Toney, 35773

--I wasn't aware that Governors project was 90% state funded? I thought the city was paying for anyway its a US route so its supposed to be 100% state funded not at all city funded. And these little tidbits of money 100,000, and 200,000 dont have anything to do with the amount we are being shortchanged with road money. We'll never get anything if the inadequency of the state is always defended

sorry to say that writer really has a very narrow concept of what he/she is talking about.

The money mentioned comes from different sources and the 100-200K is a lot to us but in highway road construction ain't squat. It's about projects promised planned and not completed or delayed and the needs

created because of these other projects.

Good grief why they printed that letter I don't know.

Archived