Huntsville Highways and Roads

aupatt10

I think they would have the board before 65 on 565 West to warn commuters of an accident either on the 65 bridge or on 20, so they can take the other route. Eastbound's kinda screwed- there aren't any other alternate routes into Huntsville besides 72 West which would be a huge detour. So that board would probably have travel times so people can prepare for the worst. BTW, if I ever saw that on a sign, that would make my day.

Traffic cameras will also result in better radio/TV traffic reports. Like the article stated, the current reports are dependent on police scanners and driver call-ins, which aren't that accurate sometimes. And considering a lot of the reports come out of Birmingham, they currently have no way of actually seeing what traffic looks like up here. With the cameras on the internet, those reporters (and commuters as well) won't have to guess how bad the traffic is.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toll Roads, they are really talking about doing this. I haven't mentioned the Huntsville to Atlanta/Memphis expressway in forever. They rarely if ever mention it it in Montgomery, they always mention I-85 extensions but an East-West expressway is sorely needed in North Alabama. You don't believe me try driving east going to somewhere like Gadsen, or Anniston. It takes almost 2 1/2 hours to go like 90 miles. If they are really serious about this toll road thing, you might as well construction the whole expressway to Atlanta/Memphis as a toll road and not just the bypass portion of it.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde...&thispage=1

U.S. Transportation Secretary supports Alabama toll roads

Saturday, January 26, 2008

GINNY MacDONALD

News staff writer

MONTGOMERY - U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary Peters said Friday she has instructed the Federal Highway Administration to work with Gov. Bob Riley to jump-start several potential state toll-road projects.

"We want to get these jobs moving," Peters said.

Riley said the projects include the elevated lanes on U.S. 280 from Double Oak Mountain to Interstate 459; the outer loop in Montgomery; the extension of Interstate 85 from Montgomery to Mississippi; the connector from Dothan to I-10 in the Florida Panhandle; the Huntsville bypass; and the Anniston bypass.

Toll Roads, they are really talking about doing this. I haven't mentioned the Huntsville to Atlanta/Memphis expressway in forever. They rarely if ever mention it it in Montgomery, they always mention I-85 extensions but an East-West expressway is sorely needed in North Alabama. You don't believe me try driving east going to somewhere like Gadsen, or Anniston. It takes almost 2 1/2 hours to go like 90 miles. If they are really serious about this toll road thing, you might as well construction the whole expressway to Atlanta/Memphis as a toll road and not just the bypass portion of it.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde...&thispage=1

U.S. Transportation Secretary supports Alabama toll roads

Saturday, January 26, 2008

GINNY MacDONALD

News staff writer

MONTGOMERY - U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary Peters said Friday she has instructed the Federal Highway Administration to work with Gov. Bob Riley to jump-start several potential state toll-road projects.

"We want to get these jobs moving," Peters said.

Riley said the projects include the elevated lanes on U.S. 280 from Double Oak Mountain to Interstate 459; the outer loop in Montgomery; the extension of Interstate 85 from Montgomery to Mississippi; the connector from Dothan to I-10 in the Florida Panhandle; the Huntsville bypass; and the Anniston bypass.

I would imagine the entire Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta highway would be constructed as a toll road. The Huntsville Southern Bypass gets more of a mention because it is the portion of the Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta that is most needed right now.

Interesting that the Anniston Bypass gets mentioned since portions of it have been built as a five-lane arterial.

Another road that does not get a lot of discussion is the Western Alabama Interstate that was proposed between Mobile and the Shoals. I am sure any future road project that has not been built yet will be considered for tolling so that it can be built quicker. The Decatur Outer Beltway and the Tuscaloosa Eastern Bypass can probably be added to that list as well.

As for the Veteran's Parkway (the western bypass), the city has it includedon the state's transit plan. I haven't heard anything about this in FOREVER, but it's going to happen eventually. The city already decided that the road is going to be a toll road, because the state is already assisting in widening The Beltline, so it seems the state isn't going to be happy to provide much more for a while.

Decatur already has plans to have I-565 extended to the river to the interchange with US 31. After that interchange the city wants to build the bridge over the river to the industrial areas for northern Morgan County. I don't know if they're serious or not, but they definitely want it.

If officials are wanting to build a bridge from the US 31/AL 20 interchange, then I would love to see the route it would take. Since the river goes from southeast to northwest at that point and the Wheeler National Refuge makes up the northern boundary of the Tennessee River, a further westward extension of I-565 from he US 31/AL 20 interchange would require some funky tricks to get across the river to Morgan County. Building inside the Wheeler NWR would be tough from a political and engineering standpoint. I would expect a bridge to actually be built closer to the Brown's Ferry Nuke Plant where there is a clear path across the river. Any thoughts on this?

It would go north of Day Park, which is on the northern banks of the river, then it would hop over or under the railroad tracks and then cross the river. I think that this little patch of land is such a small part of the refuge, leaders wouldn't have many problems routing it this way. The bridge would cross the river just west of Day Park and the railroad tracks, but not at a 90 degree angle to the river. It would be at a slant and would land on the southern banks near the State Docks.

The whole objective with this extension and where it's routes is to bypass the city yet at the same time connect the major routes north and south of the river. Eventually the city leaders want there to be an entire controlled access highway around the city. That would consist of I-65 on the east side of town, the extension of I-565 on the north, and the Veteran's Parkway on the southern and western side.

As for an routing the highway to a bridge near Browns Ferry, I don't think that's a very good idea. It would provide virtually no traffic relief for Decatur, and would leave an incomplete beltway around the city, which the leaders do not want. Plus, routing it near the plant, you have to worry about what would happen to traffic patterns if something were to go wrong at the plant. Re-routing traffic if something were to happen would me placing the traffic through the already congested roads in Decatur and force an increase in traffic in Athens. But, that is a highly unlikely situation.

I think the main reason putting it near BF wouldn't work is how obselete (sp?) the highway would be. If the whole point is to improve transportation, then it wouldn't be doing a very good job with it. Placing with at the plant would put it too far north to capture and much traffic, which is mostly going to northern areas of Morgan County and northeastern portions of Lawrence County.

Your route makes a lot of sense. At this moment, ALDOT isn't promising anything. City leaders are looking at all of those options. The one that has been most popular with leaders is as you mentioned routing the extension north of AL 20 and ALT 72. They're looking to bypass that corridor completely, which would probably be best.

But, as far as ALDOT is concerned, the extension is gonna cross soon after the US 31 interchance.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

We seriously need some reform to our state transportation department. Stupid things like when a governor leaves office all contract bids have to be redone are absurd. I seriously doubt this bill gets pass especially since it would give more representation to North Alabama.

Bill would overhaul DOT

Friday, February 01, 2008

By KEITH CLINES

Times Staff Writer [email protected]

Five-member panelwould include twofrom North Alabama

State Rep. Mac McCutcheon will sponsor legislation in the upcoming session to revamp the state Department of Transportation in hopes of getting more money for area road projects.

"This is an important bill and an important issue," McCutcheon, a Capshaw Republican, said Thursday afternoon from Montgomery.

There was a bill similar to that back in 2003, but it died due to a number of reasons including Riley dragging his feet. The bill would have created an advisory panel with statewide proportional representation. So hopefully, this bill will pass because I agree it is ridiculous that ALDOT is ran by a changing gubernatorial administrations rather than an independent panel.

From http://www.eastofhuntsville.com/

Question came up about why all the work at Moores mill right now only to have it torn up for overpasses? Troy Bell, Asst Utility Manager & Environmental Coordinator at AlDOT in Guntersville, said

"Currently, there is not a public meeting scheduled for this project. We hope and anticipate another public meeting in the next six to twelve months."

I doesn't look like they are sticking to their late 2009 early 2010 schedule which is a shame, these overpasses are sorely needed and will stunt growth in the Northeastern direction of Huntsville until they are completed.

From http://www.eastofhuntsville.com/

Question came up about why all the work at Moores mill right now only to have it torn up for overpasses? Troy Bell, Asst Utility Manager & Environmental Coordinator at AlDOT in Guntersville, said

"Currently, there is not a public meeting scheduled for this project. We hope and anticipate another public meeting in the next six to twelve months."

I doesn't look like they are sticking to their late 2009 early 2010 schedule which is a shame, these overpasses are sorely needed and will stunt growth in the Northeastern direction of Huntsville until they are completed.

• 4 weeks later...

Only one road project in Madison County on the ALDOT Project Letting list for March: the repaving of AL 255 (Research Park Blvd) from University Drive to AL 53.

But there's one big project in store for Limestone: The proposed interchange of I-65 and Brownsferry Road in Tanner. So if all goes well, work could begin this summer and be completed about 18 months from the start date.

Hopefully this will help but I don't see much change happening, they think they are doing a good job.

ALDOT has gone from wheeling and dealing to just not doing anything. Schedules don't exist.

March 04, 2008

Governor Riley Calls for Passage of Bill Creating Independent Transportation Commission

MONTGOMERY - Governor Bob Riley is urging the Senate to pass legislation that creates an independent commission to oversee the Alabama Department of Transportation.

Hopefully this will help but I don't see much change happening, they think they are doing a good job.

ALDOT has gone from wheeling and dealing to just not doing anything. Schedules don't exist.

March 04, 2008

Governor Riley Calls for Passage of Bill Creating Independent Transportation Commission

MONTGOMERY - Governor Bob Riley is urging the Senate to pass legislation that creates an independent commission to oversee the Alabama Department of Transportation.

• 3 weeks later...

Study will decide if bypass will be toll road

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

By JOHN PECK

'Investors want to operate that road,' director says

Huntsville area motorists probably will know within a couple of months whether the planned Southern Bypass across Redstone Arsenal will be a toll road or not.

Joe McInnes, director of the Alabama Department of Transportation, said Tuesday transportation planners are awaiting completion of a traffic feasibility study for a toll road.

ALDOT speaks with WAFF 48 News about Blake Bottom Road

Updated: April 15, 2008 08:00 PM

By Jeanie Powell

WAFF 48 News Reporter

A Valley road many use every day will be altered. Blake Bottom Road will be changed for safety reasons.

It's a convenient road for many people, especially at Research Park.

But with plans of an interchange aimed to reduce crashes, it's going to be a big adjustment for many drivers.

For years, more accidents prompted talks about an interchange and an overpass.

A letter from mid-2006 from the transportation director to Senator Tom Butler says the D.O.T. is preparing to construct an interchange.

An overpass would need to be funded by Huntsville because D.O.T. backed a construction project that would serve the Toyota plant.

Another letter requests a status report between elected officials since the responsibility lies with the city and county.

Tony Harris, a spokesman for the Alabama Department of Transportation, says, "Some local officials have said, 'Why can't we have an overpass?' but under some agreements we've had in the past, everything in that area now is local and we have done some other work in that area and in exchange for us doing that other work in that area, the local government's agreed to take care of any future needs around Blake Bottom Road."

Plans are to remove the current cross access of Blake Bottom at Research to create a t-intersection and to reduce accidents.

Service roads would be installed.

Harris says, "It would be a safety issue and it was also be a convenience issue."

While it doesn't affect some, like Sharon Haygood, who actually lives at the intersection of Blake Bottom and Research, "If I actually have to go to work that way, then it probably would."

Harris says, "Everything in Huntsville is growing. Our mission at the department is to provide safety, the most efficient transportation network we can. But our funds are limited. We have to prioritize. We work with local government the best we can. We have good working relations with the local governments in the Huntsville area and we're going to continue to rely on those to meet Huntsville's needs."

Madison County Commissioner Dale Strong was out of the office Tuesday and cannot be reached for an update on funding until Wednesday.

This project is still several years away from construction

• 2 weeks later...

Winchester Road widening project should get under way soon

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Huntsville Times

The widening of Winchester Road from the Huntsville city limits past Moores Mill Road to Dominion Circle is expected to start soon.

Augustus H. Green Jr. of New Market recently asked by e-mail about the status of the project.

APAC-Southeast Inc. of Birmingham submitted the apparent low bid when the Alabama Department of Transportation opened bids on the project in December.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/kcl....xml&coll=1

Aldot

Monrovians want their overpass

Thursday, May 01, 2008

By STEVE DOYLE

Resident says state pledged to build at Blake Bottom

MONROVIA - Jack Bozeman is determined to hold the state Department of Transportation to its promise.

Bozeman says he was in the crowd when a DOT official told Monrovia residents in 1992 that a proposed extension of Rideout Road (now Research Park Boulevard) would include an overpass at Blake Bottom Road.

Only one project in the area will be bid on this month: Repaving US 72 East from the Flint River to Woodville. Granted, it's needed, but I think there are more pressing issues than a $5 million paving project.

Meanwhile, the town of Cherokee in Colbert County (population 1200) is getting an interchange! Obviously a very "urgent" project- they must be getting 60,000 people in the next 5 years too...

Only one project in the area will be bid on this month: Repaving US 72 East from the Flint River to Woodville. Granted, it's needed, but I think there are more pressing issues than a $5 million paving project.

Meanwhile, the town of Cherokee in Colbert County (population 1200) is getting an interchange! Obviously a very "urgent" project- they must be getting 60,000 people in the next 5 years too...

Archived