In Los Angeles

GaryP

In about two weeks I'm going to be spending some time in Los Angeles. I have two days completely free and I need some suggestions about what I should do. I am totally unfamiliar with the area. I dont want to do anything too touristy like the La Brea Tar pits or anything like that. I'd like to experience the city as a Los Angelino - if that makes any sense. Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been to them, and I've never really considered the La Brea Tar Pits touristy, but I guess they are.

It depends on what you're after though. There was a post on here almost exactly like this a few months ago: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=26399

If you really want to spend a day like an Angelino, go out onto the freeways in the morning and spend two hours just driving around. Then go out to brunch. Go shopping for a while, then eat a late lunch. Later on, go out to dinner, then go out and drive around more on the freeways.

There's usually something interesting going on every weekend in the city: art shows, swap meets, festivals. You just have to read the paper and anticipate them. Sports is a pastime for some as well, specifically Lakers and Dodgers games. And, if something is going on while you're there, the Hollywood Bowl is a great experience.

I find some of the inland suburbs, specifically Pasadena, Burbank, San Garbriel and Clairemont, interesting.

Manhattan Beach is also a very cool town. And, of course, Santa Monica is a must-see.

Hope that helps.

Don't be too afraid of being touristy- there is a reason that places are attractive and popular, embrace it.

Actually the Le Brea Tar Pits are pretty interesting and very close to areas like the Farmer's Market/Grove shopping center, Contemporary Musem of Modern Art -Carousing around Melrose getting into the funky groove. The Getty (Meir) is worth seeing just for the architecture/gardens (Don't even attempt to rush through the whole complex of galleries too in a short few hours though-you will forget everything). Just driving around the hills and looking at the sometimes aggressive and bold residential architecture mixed with the more traditional mansions. People watching around Hollywood Blvd. (no, its not likely you will see any stars but lots of interesting personas.)

Agree that Santa Monica is a must and if Pasadena is very cool. LA is a city of wildly disparate neighborhoods so pick a few and take a little time to explore without trying to see too much at one visit.

Mostly try to get out of a car and experience some of it on foot. LA is not known for being a walking town but that is the only real way to get a feel for an area I think.

Have a great time.

If you're looking for something a little off the beaten tourist path, downtown L.A. is great. I would recommend parking at the Hollywood Blvd and Vine Metro station, and taking the Metro Red Line downtown. The underground stations are really interesting; different artists worked together to design them. First, ride to the 7th Street/ Metro Center. From here, you can walk to the central L.A. public library; it's a beautiful building with a restauraunt and a cafe. The area around the library is also really nice, clean and safe. The historic Biltmore Hotel is also right across the street. Next, hop back on the metro going south (towards Union Station), and get off at Civic Center. Here, you're in the center of the L.A city buildings, a tiny "mall" (as in park), and some of L.A.'s best theatres. Disney Hall, designed by Frank Gehry, is just a couple of blocks, along with the Ahmanson Theatre and Dorothy Chandler pavilion.

Griffith Park is great; the observatory is still closed for renovations, but it offers great views of L.A. and a much-needed escape from the city.

The Getty Musem is a must if you're interested in art and architecture.

Santa Monica is cool, if you're into pricey beach communities.

Pasadena is a ways (depending on where you're staying), but it's really worth it. It's a beautiful city, and a nice walkable downtown area. Go to the Huntington Library and tour the gardens there; they're incredible.

And, if you have time after all that, Silverlake and Los Feliz are great underrated parts of Los Angeles.

Hope you enjoy your time here; L.A.'s an extremely frustrating city, but if you have the patience, there are tons of urban treasures that await you.

Thanks for the responces everyone. I'm staying in Pasadena half the time and the other half I'll be in Hermosa Beach. I plan on taking the gold line into downtown and try the redline into Hollywood and one of the days I'm going to take a little day trip to Orange County to see what all the hype is about. I dont have a camera, but I'm going to try to borrow one; I'll post pics on this thread if possible.

I can't wait :yahoo:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived