West Columbia, Cayce & Downtown Lexington

krazeeboi

What is up with these pharmacies taking prime real estate for their suburban stores? This corner, 5 pts, and the CVS on Assembly. I would like or would've liked to see more of an urban design to these stores.

Pharmacies pay more than everyone else, so they typically get the corner they want.

• 1 month later...

The design of the new CVS development at Knox Abbott and State Street is going to put more suburban-style pavement and chrome in our face. I guess the city center won't be there.

Ha! Yes... I happy to hear that the new mayor is thinking in the right direction. But they're going to need to develop a legitimate urban plan, done by someone who knows good land use planning, if it's really going to come to pass.

Edited by emerging.me

So what's the deal with the hotel and Monterrey's? I can't see Monterrey's voluntarily selling unless they were offered a boatload of cash. they are doing really well. And I believe that motel isn't doing too badly, as I always see cars there when I pass in the morning. Are there some deep pockets waiting in the wings?

I wonder where the State got their prediction about the "razing of Monterrey and the Riverside"--that sounds like hearsay to me. I have heard that the Guignards want to develop the adjacent lot (between it and the river where all the kudzu is running rampant), but I didn't think they meant the humongous lot the motel is on.

I would hate for the motel to be demolished, especially to lose all that beautiful wooded lot! You know developers demolish and build with the finesse of an atom bomb, with the result being the complete denuding of that lovely forest canopy. All that needs doing to the Riverside is renovation. Not only is the lot beautiful, but the buildings are handsome, and look to be structurally sound. It would be a huge, huge waste to see it razed. (Monterrey's is in a building that used to be part of the motel, and so is of the same vintage.)

I hope Cayce's new mayor sees this, and will guide the Guignards to a wise re-use of the existing facility, as well as careful development of the brick kiln lot and the other side of Knox Abbott next to Riverside.

I wonder where the State got their prediction about the "razing of Monterrey and the Riverside"--that sounds like hearsay to me. I have heard that the Guignards want to develop the adjacent lot (between it and the river where all the kudzu is running rampant), but I didn't think they meant the humongous lot the motel is on.

I would hate for the motel to be demolished, especially to lose all that beautiful wooded lot! You know developers demolish and build with the finesse of an atom bomb, with the result being the complete denuding of that lovely forest canopy. All that needs doing to the Riverside is renovation. Not only is the lot beautiful, but the buildings are handsome, and look to be structurally sound. It would be a huge, huge waste to see it razed. (Monterrey's is in a building that used to be part of the motel, and so is of the same vintage.)

I hope Cayce's new mayor sees this, and will guide the Guignards to a wise re-use of the existing facility, as well as careful development of the brick kiln lot and the other side of Knox Abbott next to Riverside.

Agreed. 100%! And it's all vintage mid-century architecture. Sure... let's just bring in the wrecking ball and put up some more faux neo-classical looking crap. Must have columns!!!

Edited by emerging.me

I was just talking to my friend about that. That are looks nice wooded and I think the most that needs to be done is a little renovation. Why should they tear down something that is making money/doesn't look half bad? :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

There was supposed to be a condo tower going on that lot, but those plans fell through around 2000-2001, IIRC.

I'm going to start a Save the Riverside/Monterrey's campaihn. I think the architesture of that motel is too cool.

I think that former condo tower was proposed for the lot across the street from Monterreys.

Nope. I got a brochure when they were trying to presell. It wasbetween the Riverside and the river.

I'll get your back.

You go in high, i'll go in low. They won't know what hit them.

Seriously, the Tremont should be restored to its former glory. Too bad they couldn't save the front desk building of the HoJo's. At least they saved Cinderella's Pumpkin Coach.

Nope. I got a brochure when they were trying to presell. It wasbetween the Riverside and the river.

You go in high, i'll go in low. They won't know what hit them.

Seriously, the Tremont should be restored to its former glory. Too bad they couldn't save the front desk building of the HoJo's. At least they saved Cinderella's Pumpkin Coach.

Cayce is in danger of seriously diluting the character of their built environment. Not sure of the build dates on any structures, but some postwar architecture is now half a century old and can be deemed "historic." With the old HoJo gone, I'd say Cayce's last best commercial examples of mid-century modern and Googie-influenced architecture are the Silver City Comics building (what was that before?), the Monterrey's and Riverside Inn.

Edited by emerging.me

The Silver City store is one of the few remaining origonal Hardee's. The other one I know of is now The Eggroll Station across from the Kmart on Devine/Garner's Ferry.

I'm a freak for mid-century "road" architecture...

The Egg Roll Station tore down the old Hardee's and built a new place. Silver City is it in the Columbia area, unfortunately.

Man, I hate to hear that, although I expected it.

At least the Silver City got committed to celluloid because they used it as a location when filming 'Nailed,' but I've heard that that movie might not see the light of day.

I wonder how many old style Hardee's are left.

So, looks like we're left with the old Fremont, Silver City, and Monterrey's for that kind of cool look in Cayce.

em, what would you call the architecture of the Master's Inn and the old Black Bull? I called the BB mid century steakhouse, but I'm sure that isn't the real name.

Man, I hate to hear that, although I expected it.

At least the Silver City got committed to celluloid because they used it as a location when filming 'Nailed,' but I've heard that that movie might not see the light of day.

I wonder how many old style Hardee's are left.

So, looks like we're left with the old Fremont, Silver City, and Monterrey's for that kind of cool look in Cayce.

em, what would you call the architecture of the Master's Inn and the old Black Bull? I called the BB mid century steakhouse, but I'm sure that isn't the real name.

Captain, whenever you are next in Charleston, ride out to see a cool old Hardee's that survives on Savannah Hwy. It has been Blanche Darby Florist for decades, painted purple and pink. It is across the street from another Googie icon in Charleston, the Coburg Cow.

^I'll keep those two in mind!

I did see that a new thrift store opened up next to Mr Bingo. There was a thrift store there before, so I'm unclear as to whether it is really new or not.

The new bank on Axtell and Knox Abbott is coming along well, and they look llike they are about to put down the CVS foundation.

Captain, whenever you are next in Charleston, ride out to see a cool old Hardee's that survives on Savannah Hwy. It has been Blanche Darby Florist for decades, painted purple and pink. It is across the street from another Googie icon in Charleston, the Coburg Cow.

Blanche Darby Florist? How syrupy can you get?!

• 2 weeks later...

They've started development on the brickyard area in Cayce next to the river. The bank building at Knox Abbott and Alexander has the same color of brick on it as the standard Vista brick. CVS is going to be short enough so that when you're driving into Columbia on Knox Abbott, once you pass Wendy's, Columbia's skyline and the Cayce bank building are really going creating a much denser urban atmosphere through there. It's looking great!