Would Alamance County be a great location for a 2nd amusement park for NC?

Atlside

If they were to build a 2nd amusement theme park in North Carolina, what part of the state would you like to see that park located in?

By being in Alamance County (near Burlington), this theme park could attract people from the Greensboro/Winston-Salem and Raleigh-Durham. It would also attract people from southern Virginia and central North Carolina.

On top of that people driving along the I-40/I-85 corridor would be able to reach the park easy.

This new park would also help Burlington attract back shopping outlets the way it use to be in the 1980s.

Burlington would have been a great location for a Mills Mall. It could have been called Burlington Mills or Alamance Mills.

Metropolitan Statistical Areas and Metropolitan Combined Statistical Areas

July 1, 2005

Release date June 2006

Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury 2,120,745

Raleigh-Durham-Cary 1,509,560

Greensboro/Winston-Salem--High Point 1,490,886

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News 1,647,346

Richmond-Petersburg 1,175,654

map_whole.gif

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've read my mind. Many times I have discussed this with many forumers that Alamance County is the ideal place as it bridges both the Triangle and Triads metro populations along both of NC's most important interstates (I-40/I-85) and arguably the southeast's most important interstate I-85. Any park they would build I would hope would top Busch Gardens and Carowinds. Why would you spend 100s of millions on a park and not make it better than the competition? Burlington is within 1 hour from every major city in both Metros and 1 hour from the VA state line. Here are .. some past forums where i have shared the same thoughts. I think we might would see an Alamance Mills. Anything like a themepark or mega mall in Alamance County's eastern side could be called the Triangle's or Triad's.

The Greensboro area was considered for a themepark twice. First was back in the late 60s/early 70s when the Busch corporation wanted to build a themepark. Believe it or not Greensboro was considered for a Busch Brewery/themepark before Williamsburg, VA. The company was scouting the land where Grandover sits today. The land deal went sour and Williamsburg, VA was chosen for Busch Gardens. During that time a waterpark was also in the planning stages which would eventually be called Aqua Gardens having a similar name to the themepark. while Busch Gardens never opened in Greensboro the waterpark did. The name Aqua Gardens was changed before the waterpark opened and was called Water Country USA. The park grew and grew and the name changed again to Emerald Pointe. Now its called Wet'n Wild Emerald Pointe.

The second time Greensboro was consider was back around 1998. During that time the Triad was trying to get major league baseball. The plan was to build a major league park on the Guilford/Forsyth County line with a Six Flags Themepark on the Guilford side. when the stadium plan fell through so did the Six Flags Theme park.

Alamance is a great location for a themepark in my opinion. logistically, probabally the best. But if a themepark builder did decide to build a park in the Triad, somewhere close to Wet'n Wild Emerald Pointe in Greensboro would be the location. Themepark builders love to have waterparks in very close proximity to the themeparks. My guess is that if Six Flags came knocking on our door again, they would buy out Wet'n WIld Emerald Pointe and make it a Six Flags waterpark.

If a themepark ever gets built in Alamance County it seems that Mebane would be a good location. I know there are several hundred acres available there with that mega site that was suppose to attract Mercedes. The only problem is that that location is very far from any international airport. Western Alamance would be closer to PTI.

If a themepark ever gets built in Alamance County it seems that Mebane would be a good location. I know there are several hundred acres available there with that mega site that was suppose to attract Mercedes. The only problem is that that location is very far from any international airport. Western Alamance would be closer to PTI.

It could attract people to both Airports. The Mebane/Hawfields area is about 45 miles from RDU and 35 maybe? This way there could be a choice of airlines. Maybe a Mebane train stop during the summer months?

It could attract people to both Airports. The Mebane/Hawfields area is about 45 miles from RDU and 35 maybe? This way there could be a choice of airlines. Maybe a Mebane train stop during the summer months?

One thing is for sure. alot of retail and hotels and restaurants would pop up all around the themepark.

• 2 weeks later...

The Greensboro area was considered for a themepark twice. First was back in the late 60s/early 70s when the Busch corporation wanted to build a themepark. Believe it or not Greensboro was considered for a Busch Brewery/themepark before Williamsburg, VA. The company was scouting the land where Grandover sits today. The land deal went sour and Williamsburg, VA was chosen for Busch Gardens. During that time a waterpark was also in the planning stages which would eventually be called Aqua Gardens having a similar name to the themepark. while Busch Gardens never opened in Greensboro the waterpark did. The name Aqua Gardens was changed before the waterpark opened and was called Water Country USA. The park grew and grew and the name changed again to Emerald Pointe. Now its called Wet'n Wild Emerald Pointe.

The second time Greensboro was consider was back around 1998. During that time the Triad was trying to get major league baseball. The plan was to build a major league park on the Guilford/Forsyth County line with a Six Flags Themepark on the Guilford side. when the stadium plan fell through so did the Six Flags Theme park.

Alamance is a great location for a themepark in my opinion. logistically, probabally the best. But if a themepark builder did decide to build a park in the Triad, somewhere close to Wet'n Wild Emerald Pointe in Greensboro would be the location. Themepark builders love to have waterparks in very close proximity to the themeparks. My guess is that if Six Flags came knocking on our door again, they would buy out Wet'n WIld Emerald Pointe and make it a Six Flags waterpark.

Interesting info. A theme Park either next to or directly across the street from Emerald Point would be a good location also because of proximity to the interstate and the lack of nearby residences on that side of 85. Might be able to help spur some eastward growth since GSO kind of suddenly dies there.

But I would vote directly in the center of the triangle formed from GSO, WS and HP, along I-40 right after the Business 40 split to WS, just before K-ville. Something to anchor the growth of the 3 cities hopefully closer to each other to better infill the area and bring us closer. The "dead" area between GSO and WS would decrease dramatically. Besides, The Triangle has quite a few unique features and attractions already, and while a park placed in Burlington could bridge the Triad and Triangle, I think the Triad is more in need of bridging within itself.

This could cause a geographic firestorm:) but I think Asheville.

Biltmore House is already there, Blue Ridge Parkway nearby, and of course downtown Asheville is drawing in lots of folks.

It would be quite a long drive for folks in the Triad and eastern part of the state. I'm sure they wouldn't be so happy about it being in Asheville.

I think the main issue with this thread is whether or not Alamance County would be a great location for a themepark and the answer is yes. Without a doubt there is no better location other than western orange county (mebane). Wilmington would be another option if it wasn't for the fact there is a ginormous theme park being built in Myrtle Beach which is already North and South Carolina's Playground. Alamance County is in the midst of two large metros and southern VA. You would be looking at close to 4 Million people within 70 miles of the park. It would also be a ~new~ alternative to the already established parks drawing from their bases. I will say this... If the park wasn't built within in the next 5 years their probably won't be a place to put it. Sure the Triad would love a park to share within it's "middle" the Triangle would also love that too. But logistically the park just works better in Alamance County. While they were building the park they could be an "Alamance Mills" with an Ikea for the Triangle and Triad too.

^True, but they do cause travel in the region and getting the name out, indirectly causing growth, not to mention the revenue generated, direct and indirect, from travellers to the park. There are other intangible benefits, probably a couple of drawbacks as well, but I would still be in favor.

• 10 months later...

Orange County officials have been trying to get the Buckhorn flee/ farmers market demolished for years. As of last week they have come closer to shutting the popular market down stating that it has illegally expanded and is a fire hazard. This flee market that was created in 1985 remains for the fact that it has been grandfathered in. Cabellas has shown interest in purchasing the land it sits on and constructing one of its large stores along with hotels and other amenities. The mayor of Mebane has also shown interest in having the large store come to the fringes of the city. If this store were to come this might draw interest from one of the major theme park company as being the site for the potential park. Though not in Alamance County this site along the border offers one of the few vast tracks of land left among I-85/40 and would be the ideal area for a large park. Here is a map of the area I've drawn up.

The main draw would on the 3-4 million people in the Triad/Triangle/Southern VA that live within a short distance. Not everyone is interested in driving 3-4 hours (not including carowinds) atleast to get to the nearest themepark. Those other parks you mentioned would be the ones who felt the greater impact, especially if the new park were built right.

Location-wise, it does make a good deal of sense, whether it be eastern Alamance or western Orange. The Triad and Triangle combined have way more people than Charlotte. An amusement park halfway between the two would certainly be a shorter drive for people from both regions that they'd go to it before they'd drive to Carowinds or Kings Dominion. (Assuming this park was as big or bigger.) Plus folks from some down east towns may go as well (Rocky Mount, Wilson, Goldsboro, etc) and the Sandhills too (Fayetteville, Sanford, Pinehurst, etc).

One thing that would have to be considered however is environmental impact such a large development would be. Most of that region is in the Jordan watershed...so the state is likely to require some strict stormwater runoff protection measures and possibly stream buffer protection.

Plus traffic on the already busy corridor will be a concern to consider. Just something to keep in mind.

Actually, themepark construction has slowed down dramatically across the country. Even Six Flags is more into aquiring themeparks rather than building new ones from scratch. The truth there may never be a themepark in the Triad/Triangle, at least in the traditional sense.

Archived