(WVA) [Huntington] Keith-Albee to have its partions removed

seicer

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is good news. The Keith-Albee is a classic old theatre that really deserves a more prominent place in Huntington's revitalization efforts. It has been struggling for years. I remember seeing my first movie there back when I was a kid, before the Huntington Mall Cineplex opened.

This is good news. The Keith-Albee is a classic old theatre that really deserves a more prominent place in Huntington's revitalization efforts. It has been struggling for years. I remember seeing my first movie there back when I was a kid, before the Huntington Mall Cineplex opened.

I wouldn't mind seeing the facade cleaned and renovated as well. The windows aren't in the best of shape (in the attic/roof portions) and the signs could use a cleaning or replacement (with replicas or exact models).

I assume that the Prichard Building is the old Hotel Prichard? I hope they do a good job. It's a very nice building.

Yes. When I was last in there, a few floors were empty - ones that haven't been used in about 5-10 years. The lobby was dated and screamed 1970's back at you. It was hideous and rundown.

From what I could see, two upper and two lower floors had most of their windows removed and it looked as if they were doing renovations.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the Keith-Albee for the first time a little less than a year ago. Sadly Charlotte has no movie palaces like that so I had never been to one. When we went we bought tickets for our show we realized they were not in the main theatre so we asked if we could walk in there and look around before the movie in there started. The attended said sure so we walked in and I was BLOWN AWAY. I don't think I've ever been in a more impressive theatre. So then we went to our movie and when we walked in we realized we must be in a renovated coat closet or something. The thing was the tiniest movie theatre I had been in. It must have seated twenty and it smelled like a dirty locker room. It was such a shock to go from the most impressive theatre I had ever seen to the worst with only a walk across the hall! After a good laugh we decided to watch the movie playing in the main theatre instead. Of course it was Cheaper by the Dozen 2 which I had no interest in watching but it didn't matter, I was spending too much time looking at the theatre's opuleance to be bothered with the actual movie :D .

Archived