What do you think about our cities population?

What do you think?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is going to happen to Baltimore city's and Washington DC's Population over the next ten years.

• Both cities are going to increase.
    • Both cities are going to decrease.
    • Baltimore will increase and Washington will decrease.
    • Washington will increase and Baltimore will decrease.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone voted that Washington will decrease. In thinking about this isn't the actual city of Washington supposedly decreasing in popuation? I voted both Bmore and Wash would increase but I meant the metro area and not necessarily the city proper.

I think that the city proper will increase in both cities. There is only but so much room for sprawl. We'll be halfway to Huntington before the sprawl ends. There is still much land ripe for redevelopment within the city limits. In time, people are also going to get tired of their long commutes and the city may see added growth from those who migrate back to the city. Some may call this wishful thinking, but Washington and Baltimore both have lots of room for growth within their present boundaries.

Recent estimates show Washington to be gaining residents. I believe the population now stands at ~586K. I'm not sure about Baltimore, but I don't think I could see Washington's population getting above around 700-750K, with such expensive housing prices.

The census bureau revised its estimated on DC's population. Instead of losing 5,000 residents since 2000 the city gained 31,000 residents since than. Again this an estimate and I would be really surprised if the population increased by this much. I know quite a few people who wanted to stay in DC, but because of high housing cost and substandard schools they were forced to look for housing in Maryland or Virginia. My sense is that the city is still shrinking, but at a much slower rate than in recent decades. From anecdotal evidence I still believe that DC is gaining in single, DINKs, empty nesters, and gays but losing families resulting in a net lost in population.

I think both will increase. I think DC is increasing and will continue to increase possibly hitting the 650k mark before stagnating. There are large swaths of land in both cities that can be developed, West B'more and East of the River in the DC won't be developed for a long time but when they do they'll add a lot to the population.

I think both will increase. I think DC is increasing and will continue to increase possibly hitting the 650k mark before stagnating. There are large swaths of land in both cities that can be developed, West B'more and East of the River in the DC won't be developed for a long time but when they do they'll add a lot to the population.

I really hope DC is increasing in population, but again anecdotely I doubt that it is increasing as much as the revised census numbers have shown. Look at Arlington and Alexandria, both have declined in population since 2000. I think DC has lost population, but at a much slower rate than decades past. I know of too many examples of people who dearly wanted to stay in the District, but once they started families they were forced to look in the Maryland and Virginia Suburbs for housing. The housing boom and subsequent rise in housing cost have had the unintended effect for forcing families out in favor of households of one or two people. I am an example of this trend, I moved into the District from NOVA in 2000 and I live by myself. I replaced a couple with no kids who were planning a family and had to find bigger digs at an affordable price. They moved to Clinton, MD.

• 1 month later...

I see DC gaining about 20,000 to 30,000 resident back in the next 2 decades, but beyond that no really. I have a lot of friend from the region and they singles that native to area and they absolutely shunned DC. However, they also shunned PG County as well because they say it is a ghetto suburban county kinda like DeKalb County, Georgia.

On Baltimore, I just don't see any real chance of growth at all unless they do a major and I mean major urban renewal of a huge chunk of the city.

Archived