Calling Miami1855

Fallingwater

Miami1855,

I ventured to Clarksville today and spent about five hours there with a camera as well as driving around. The phots have been developed and placed on disc but, you know, beyond posting to message boards I am basically computer illiterate. Long story short; I have some photos on disc all dressed up and nowhere to go. Perhaps when basketball season rolls around then I could give you the disc at one of the games and you could post them here if you care to do so?

Anyway, I did manage to take a somewhat comprehensive tour of Clarksville today and covered many areas but Clarksville is just so spread out now! I actually came in from the North. I drove from Murfreesboro on I-24 to the Hopkinsville/Oak Grove exit in Kentucky and drove the length of Ft. Campbell Blvd to Riverside Drive and downtown. It has been probably over 20 years since I have been by Exit 1 on I-24 so the amazing thing was just seeing all the houses, neighborhoods and apartments which have been built around there. Uhm, that exit seems to cater to the military and first time buyers it seems.

I actually visited Fort Defience. I'm surprised I even found it! Uhm, I probably won't be going back though. It's a historical site in the midst of a very old and blighted neighborhood in New Providence. I was surprised to find that one cannot even see either the Red or the Cumberland Rivers from Fort Defience which seems odd since it was a Fort which was supposed to fire upon Union gunboats. No wonder the Confederates gave up without a fight.

I spent most of my time downtown just walking around and taking pictures. I went inside the Royal York and they allowed me to take a few pictures from the roof so I had a nice vantage point from about 9 storys up. Unfortunately, the kid at Kroger who put the photos on disc did not put one of those on disc for some reason.

Some of the photos merely show some architectural detailing such as the caryitids on the Knights of Pythias building on Franklin Street. Franklin Street is a veritable museum of late 19th century craftsmanship although the Roxy Theatre is a nice piece of Art Deco. BTW, the Roxy was the location for the Cheryl Crowes video *All I Wanna Do*. I also really liked the FM Bank under construction from the vantage point of the railroad tressle along the Upland Walking trail. Those are some cool photos!

The only non-downtown photo was of the Sundquist Science building on the APSU campus. The photo I took of the new student Rec. Center under construction did not come out. It would have been a bad photo anyway since all decent vantage points were blocked due to fences and gates which have been erected to keep people away from the Titans while they sleep in the dorms.

I noticed some buildings perched atop a high hill so that took me into Cumberland Heights. I found a new and extremely nice neighborhood there called *Cherokee Bluff* and some of those houses give some spendid views of downtown although it is kind of far away. So, check that out if you want and if you have mega bucks then that would be a nice neighborhood in which to purchase a new home! The houses on the bluff are spectacular.

I did go out to St. B. and encountered the usual traffic snarls. You are right, they are indeed working on an interchange at 101St Airborne Division Pkwy. The only new construction I saw, however, was an almost completed Hotel next to the Country Inn and Suites. I think Wilma Rudolph Blvd. has little room left for anything new. There does seem to be more and more cross traffic from roads perpendicular to Wilma Rudolph Blvd. but I have no idea where the go. Dunlap Rd., however, seems primed for development and it looks as if the infrastructure is in place. I noticed that crews had graded off a fairly large piece of land across from what appears to be some new apartments and houses. Would this be the site for the new Hospital? It was a large area but seemed too small for the Hospital they are talking about building.

I saw a few new homes along Martin Luther King Jr. Pkwy (Exit 11 Interstate Connector) but nothing under construction commercially. There is certainly more traffic along that road than there was several years ago and there also seemed to be quite a bit of traffic in Cunningham coming off that road which leads to Cumberland City. I did not venture that route but seems like there are probably neighborhoods there which were not there last time I was there.

So, it was a good trip and I came away with some nice photos. The Queen City is alive and well although Ft. Campbell Blvd. is still the tackiest 9 mile stretch in the world. Ha. Maybe someday someone will be able to see them.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't wait to see your pictures. I'm an APSU alumnus, of the Fly Williams era, and Clarksville has always been special to me.

I recently started a thread on Clarksville and included some pictures. Something to enjoy in the meantime.

As a tip, get an account on Photobucket or something similiar, and upload your pictures there from your computer. Then when you type comments in this forum, you can click on insert image (the tree), add the url from photobucket and voila, there you have it. I usually save the URL's I'm going to use on MSWord so I can insert them in the comments.

Good luck!

Can't wait to see your pictures. I'm an APSU alumnus, of the Fly Williams era, and Clarksville has always been special to me.

I recently started a thread on Clarksville and included some pictures. Something to enjoy in the meantime.

As a tip, get an account on Photobucket or something similiar, and upload your pictures there from your computer. Then when you type comments in this forum, you can click on insert image (the tree), add the url from photobucket and voila, there you have it. I usually save the URL's I'm going to use on MSWord so I can insert them in the comments.

Good luck!

I was only a kid at the time but how could I not remember vividly THE FLY WILLIAMS! The first time I ever saw him was against Western Kentucky in the Little Red Barn. That old gym was small but how it could RAWK! Incidentally, the Peay did prevail that game. Also, Howard Jackson was my Little League basketball coach after recovering from his unfortunate fall. He ran us to death!

I tried to get a few pictures on the Peay campus but only one of them turned out; The Sundquist Science complex. I love that building for some reason. It has a lot of..... well...... MASS. The student rec center is still under construction and looks very nice but it is difficult to get a good photo while the Titans are in town.

Clarksville's downtown seems to be perculating with some activity. A new bank is going up; some housing and other construction; and a store on Franklin St. was being renovated as I walked today. I think it has tremendous potential for development. You mentioned the difficulties in construction in Clarksville since there are so many sinkholes, caves, etc. I suppose that is one reason Clarksville will probably never have a true highrise. Of course, I do believe there is an ordinance which prohibits building heights being taller than the Courthouse anyway which I believe is around 150 feet. Insofar as Courthouses go; I think Clarksville definitely has one of the most handsome ones to be found anywhere.

I would like to see downtown become more lively as I would like to have more reason to go there than to take a few photos. Those buildings have something which one does not find out in the land of sprawl; Class and character.

It was reported that no one was injured downtown when the tornado came through. The owner of the Royal York told me otherwise today when I spoke with him. He said one of the tenants in his building had his jugular vein cut by flying glass but that he recovered.

Thanks, fallingwater. I work at APSU, so I am always at athletic games....especially basketball.

Here on campus, the Sundquist Building is known as "the Monopoly Hotels"

SUNDQUIST2.JPG

And you are so right in that Ft. Campbell Blvd is awful. We consider it a city unto itself, rarely crossing the river.

Also, MLK Blvd (what most still call "the Connector") is the area that has been heavily ordinanced. We are just waiting for the boom.

Thanks, fallingwater. I work at APSU, so I am always at athletic games....especially basketball.

Here on campus, the Sundquist Building is known as "the Monopoly Hotels"

SUNDQUIST2.JPG

And you are so right in that Ft. Campbell Blvd is awful. We consider it a city unto itself, rarely crossing the river.

Also, MLK Blvd (what most still call "the Connector") is the area that has been heavily ordinanced. We are just waiting for the boom.

Miami and PHofKS,

I sent you both a PM.

Thanks,

Fallingwater

Congratulations. That new bank building looks impressive, btw.

Thank you, PHofKS.

I do like the bank building as well and I believe you had a photo of it in an earlier stage of construction. I like the various vantage points along the new Upland Trail.

Thus far, that is the only photo which I have uploaded as traffic (at the host site) seems to be a bit of a problem. When I do eventually get my photos uploaded then I will post them here. I do have a few other photos of the new bank (non-sepiatized) as well.

I'm thinking of perhaps going back to Clarksville sometime this week as I am sure I can garner a few more photos. There were some things I wanted to photograph but did not get around to it.

Please take care,

Fallingwater

Great pics, fallingwater.

Would it be possible to rename this thread? I'm afraid others might miss these great pics of Clarksville you have taken b/c of the thread title.

I started a new thread in the Nashville forum titled *Clarksville Photos* and includes a whole batch of pics. I am glad that you like the one which I have posted in this thread and I have included it in the pics I presented in the Nashville forum.

I have been trying to think of what could be some potentially good vantage points for some good photos. I think one might be on that road that turns into University Avenue but is on the other side of Madison Street. I also wonder what the view from Riverview cemetary might be. Next time I come to Clarksville then I am going to check out these possible vantage points as well as revisit at least one place where Architects from around the world came to study back in the late '60's; Montgomery Central High School. Those domes coming out of the water still look groovy, man!

Archived