CVS?

JFER1980

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to a meeting is a great idea. Although it is much more effective to go when the project is under consideration, but better late than never. We need more people in Columbia to be supportive of good urbanism and strong design regulation. The current design guidelines are better than nothing, but they aren't as strong as they should be. The architectural review board can only enforce the rules that have been adopted by Council. They are doing the best they can with what laws are currently in place. The only people who are vocal to the politicians (the folks who are adopting ordinances) are the developers, many of whom want less and less regulation of downtown property. When this is all the City leaders hear, they have little choice but to respond to it.

Great points citymouse. Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

what bugs me most is that the raised detail is above what i assume will be the entrance, facing the parking lot...it makes sense, but would look a lot better on the proper corner side. oh well. i like how the frame looks better than the old office/parking lot on that site.

• 1 month later...

i walked by it today. brick facade. real brick facade...very "Vista look" brick facade. that part looks nice...hopefully the rest of the materials will be up to par. i'd rather have seen a more impressive building, or an entrance on the corner, but it's not bad at all, and a hell of a lot better than the other CVS downtown (Bull and Hampton?)

• 1 month later...

Coming from USC down college towards Assembly, the CVS is actually a nice change. It looks leaps and bounds better than the gas station on the left. My only real problem, other than it seems to be a waste of very prime property, is that the brick work is a different color than that of the School of Public Health and the College of Music. You would think they would at least try to make it fit in with its surroundings.

I do prefer Walgreens, but the design of that CVS surprised me and I think it is rather attractive. It could have been better however, had they put the entrance at the corner and at the same grade as the side walk (retaining wall, ugh). I like the brick work, I'd it not be so matchy.

Archived