Large Beetles Native To Rhode Island

JJK5

Well it's late but i'll post this anyways...

What kind of large beetles are native to Rhode Island? I was literally just woken up to some commotion out in my living room. I turned on all the lights looking for the source of the clatter and eventually spied a largeish (~1"+ in length) brown beetle near the back of my TV. At first I thought it was a small cockroach which would have really upset me, but it had a shell of sorts over it's wings and didn't run from the light. I unfortunately hacked at the thing with a broom handle so it's sort of hard to identify it now. Just curious what kinds of beetles are native to Rhode Island as i've never seen one this large in a home before. The noise it was making flying into walls or whatever literally got me out of bed, so he was no small beast. The topside of the beetle was a medium to light brown in color. Wish I had spared him now, but oh well.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's late but i'll post this anyways...

What kind of large beetles are native to Rhode Island? I was literally just woken up to some commotion out in my living room. I turned on all the lights looking for the source of the clatter and eventually spied a largeish (~1"+ in length) brown beetle near the back of my TV. At first I thought it was a small cockroach which would have really upset me, but it had a shell of sorts over it's wings and didn't run from the light. I unfortunately hacked at the thing with a broom handle so it's sort of hard to identify it now. Just curious what kinds of beetles are native to Rhode Island as i've never seen one this large in a home before. The noise it was making flying into walls or whatever literally got me out of bed, so he was no small beast. The topside of the beetle was a medium to light brown in color. Wish I had spared him now, but oh well.

Sounds like it might have been a cicada that accidentally got inside. Not technically a beetle, but they makes lots of noise (the high-pitch buzzing you hear all the time during the day at this time of year) and go through a molting stage which might explain the shell over the wings.

Well I don't know if Cicadas are invading or not. I googled around and narrowed it down to Grapevine Beetle.

grapevine_beetle_casey.jpg

Wikipedia

It doesn't explicitly say they're native to New England and I've certainly never seen one around before. I did get a large package yesterday that originated in Kentucky, maybe the little guy was a stow-away. :wacko:

It doesn't explicitly say they're native to New England and I've certainly never seen one around before. I did get a large package yesterday that originated in Kentucky, maybe the little guy was a stow-away. :wacko:

Like in the movie "Arachnophobia". Phew, had to go to the dictionary for that one :rofl:

i've seen large brownish beetles here before, usually outside in the grass, but i've also seen them on sidewalks. they were about an inch or so in length, kind of a shiny brown. i don't know what kind of beetle it is though.

june bugs (or june beetles) can get quite large. i have a feeling that's what you heard. they're the ones that fly into things and make a lot of noise when they hit walls and stuff. they're attracted to light. if you have an outdoor light, you usually see them sitting on the side of your house or flying around it. they're fun because when they land, they tend to lock up. you can flick them and toss them and they don't move until after they hit the ground.

http://www.cirrusimage.com/beetles_June.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Archived