The Velocity

NewTowner

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this definitely looks like the cousin of BonB. Too bad.

At least this has a public courtyard and (along w/ICON) will add pedestrian activity to 11 Ave from Pine Street up to Division. One thing I don't remember hearing about for this project--is there any parking garage that goes with it?

Does anyone know if the Pabst City William Williams mentioned in his artilce -

"Interestingly, ka has handled some cutting-edge projects, including the very cool Pabst City in Milwaukee"

- ever saw the light of day? Everything I found on it has the project not even able to make it out of the city councel back in 2005 - If the Velocity had even an ounce of potential that the Pabst City project was suppose to have I can see why you mention it, otherwise the failed project (while pretty in its design) has no signifignace to either the Icon or the Velocity, and linking the Archt. to a failed project doesn't seem to help much.

Does anyone know if the Pabst City William Williams mentioned in his artilce -

"Interestingly, ka has handled some cutting-edge projects, including the very cool Pabst City in Milwaukee"

- ever say (see?) the light of day? Everything I found on it has the project not even able to make it out of the city councel back in 2005 - If the Velocity had even an ounce of potential that the Pabst City project was suppose to have I can see why you mention it, otherwise the failed project (while pretty in its design) has no signifignace to either the Icon or the Velocity, and linking the Archt. to a failed project doesn't seem to help much.

Jeeper12 thanks for the pictures. All I can say is, Vegas crap or Orlando crap for that matter. I think what your pictures point out that just because this is stated as a mid level condo project (I mean regarding height). It is really NO different than the cookie cutter apartments in Brentwood. It is just stacked on top of each other for height. Five to Ten years from now these will look as old as an apartment in Antioch.

Nor does Vegas or Orlando from afar. But I hope it doesn't take that way of cheap development. If and a BIG IF it has a real facade of solid materials and not more fake brick. If it is real, it will age nicely in the Gulch over the years. If not we should protest this Apartment in the Gulch.

I think the design looks pretty good to me. It's difficult to tell what we're looking at here, but I'm sure the construction materials will will not be costly so that price points can be met. Remember, this project is geared towards a lower end cost of living in the downtown area. This is something I've seen mentioned on this forum as needed in downtown Nashville, and something there iust is not enough of. You can't have a project made of costly materials and still make a low price point, and I'm getting a bit tired of hearing everyone ragging on about how cheap things are built, especially by Bristol. How on earth are we going to get lower cost living in the Gulch with the standards some seem to demand on this forum for building construction? I for one, am glad Bristol is making a huge impact on the Gulch and is investing many millions of dollars there. I think the Icon and Velocity projects are both good for the Gulch and good for downtown Nashville.

Hankster, I agree with you partly. But from the pictures of Bristol, I think they could use a little better quality and better focus on details of their properties. Part of the reason that makes condos attractive is that while you give up some size, collectively everyone gains some quality and amenities compared to typical suburban housing.

Anyway, I do think that you make a good point about less expensive housing development in the Gulch. Without it, I am afraid that we will end up with the same issue of a non residential downtown. If downtown and the surrounding areas only cater to the high end, we could end up with a lot of part time dwellers. Again another ghost town community. I think the best way though to build less expensive quality housing is not to focus on organic growth but to look at rehabbing existing buildings.

You can't have a project made of costly materials and still make a low price point, and I'm getting a bit tired of hearing everyone ragging on about how cheap things are built, especially by Bristol. How on earth are we going to get lower cost living in the Gulch with the standards some seem to demand on this forum for building construction? I for one, am glad Bristol is making a huge impact on the Gulch and is investing many millions of dollars there. I think the Icon and Velocity projects are both good for the Gulch and good for downtown Nashville.

I think the design looks pretty good to me. It's difficult to tell what we're looking at here, but I'm sure the construction materials will will not be costly so that price points can be met. Remember, this project is geared towards a lower end cost of living in the downtown area. This is something I've seen mentioned on this forum as needed in downtown Nashville, and something there iust is not enough of. You can't have a project made of costly materials and still make a low price point, and I'm getting a bit tired of hearing everyone ragging on about how cheap things are built, especially by Bristol. How on earth are we going to get lower cost living in the Gulch with the standards some seem to demand on this forum for building construction? I for one, am glad Bristol is making a huge impact on the Gulch and is investing many millions of dollars there. I think the Icon and Velocity projects are both good for the Gulch and good for downtown Nashville.

I must go up to exterior of one of these projects and try this for myself. If true, it's difficult to understand the logic in building such properties. Once the word get out, it will be next to impossible to sell other similar project. Bristol would risk getting a "black eye" and a reputation for shoddy construction that could never be reversed. For that reason, I will be quite surprised if I find the construction to be as shoddy as that.

Archived