Governor Granholm Announces 23 Projects Selected as 2006 Cool Cities Designees

RustTown

To little fanfare, and it's probably better that way, the 2006 Cool Cities designations have been released today. It's a very interesting and comprehensive mix of projects and programs, this year. Probably, more of an interesting mix than years past.

Governor Granholm Announces 23 Projects Selected as 2006 Cool Cities Designees

July 20, 2006

LANSING

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I just notised a couple days ago that Wayland bears the cool cities sign when coming in off the highway. Seeing as how it isn't mentioned above, I'm assuming it was added in 2005 or earlier, yet nothing's happened with the town other than city hall removing the ugly 60s steel facade off of the old Wayland State Bank (now known as United Bank) building, exposing the original brick and stone Bank marquee, and haven't even done anything with the marquee, seeing as how it's now the City Hall.

I guess I'll have to stop in and see if it's doing anything with their designation or not.

I just notised a couple days ago that Wayland bears the cool cities sign when coming in off the highway. Seeing as how it isn't mentioned above, I'm assuming it was added in 2005 or earlier, yet nothing's happened with the town other than city hall removing the ugly 60s steel facade off of the old Wayland State Bank (now known as United Bank) building, exposing the original brick and stone Bank marquee, and haven't even done anything with the marquee, seeing as how it's now the City Hall.

I guess I'll have to stop in and see if it's doing anything with their designation or not.

wayland is a cool city :rofl: it doesn't carry much weight if every single city gets the "certification"

Well Wayland I can see somewhat, seeing as how before the days of the super-speed highway, Wayland was a major stopping point between GR and K-Zoo, even back when the old 131 was mostly dirt and wooden planks. At one point the town even had its own theatre, but repeated fires engulfing the majority of downtown, the removal of the Interurban rail line, and finally modern-day 131 killed the town's importance, and then big-box and 60s concepts completely killed what little was left of its downtown.

In fact just yesterday I saw another old street-frontage building was razed, right next to the drive-thru bank. I swear if that becomes parking, I'll....

• 8 months later...

May 17-19 they will be showing off the renovations of the first floor of the Opera House in Howell. I will be going on the 18th and post some photos.

100_2052.jpg

2.jpg

On the second floor is the Opera House. It opened on December 30, 1881 and closed in 1924. For many year it had just sat there, first floor being used but no one going on the second. Under the seats we found old newspapers and lots of peanuts. I will also post photos of the second floor when I go back.

Archived