41 members have voted

1. 1. Choose a name for our region or suggest another

• Hampton Roads
    • Tidewater
    • Greater Norfolk
    • Norfolk/VB area
    • Norfolk area
    • Virginia Beach area

May I ask, why Norfolk and Virginia Beach want top billing while ignoring the other cities?

Norfolk & Virginia Beach & The Five Cities featuring Poquoson... that is the worst singing group! David Ruffin and Diana Ross-size egos tearing the group apart...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pipe down....we don't get made when Richmond get's funding for all those highways to heaven. :silly:

We don't get made when y'all get all of the attention in the state. And we have all of the highways because Richmond's population is expected to boom and we're on I95, I64, and I85 is in Petersburg.

By the way I wish what y'all are talking about all of the Hampton Roads cities becoming one city could happen to both Richmond and Hampton Roads. Richmond could merge with Henrico. It's not a city but it should be because it's like a up scale Newport News. With more stuff coming soon.

Hampton Roads as one city should be called Seva or Virginia City, or Hampton City, or Oceana, or Atlantica, or Atlantis. That's all I can think of, which one do you think is the best.

We don't get made when y'all get all of the attention in the state. And we have all of the highways because Richmond's population is expected to boom and we're on I95, I64, and I85 is in Petersburg.

By the way I wish what y'all are talking about all of the Hampton Roads cities becoming one city could happen to both Richmond and Hampton Roads. Richmond could merge with Henrico. It's not a city but it should be because it's like a up scale Newport News. With more stuff coming soon.

Hampton Roads as one city should be called Seva or Virginia City, or Hampton City, or Oceana, or Atlantica, or Atlantis. That's all I can think of, which one do you think is the best.

What the heck?

Ok you two need to stop rewriting the English language.

I don't think we have highways because of an unseen boom.

Um J.. there already IS a Hampton City... it's one of the EIGHT. But the city of Hampton Roads would be nice... with its EIGHT boroughs...

What the heck?

Um J.. there already IS a Hampton City... it's one of the EIGHT. But the city of Hampton Roads would be nice... with its EIGHT boroughs...

Dude I know that, plus Hampton Could be the new capital of the region or the capital could extend from norfolk to Hampton, making it the biggest downtown in the state. I put Hampton City in because I ran out of bad ideas for a name.

What the heck?

Cadeho were do you live, it must not be in Richmond or anywhere near downtown, because I can't believe you haven't seen the housing boom and the population boom and business boom in downtown and areas around it in Richmond. White people (not to put them on the spot) are living in Jackson Ward (traditionally a neighborhood for Black people). Businesses are coming back to Broad St, Grace St, Main St, Cary St, and Franklin st. Shockoe is back on track. So I can't believe you haven't seen the population boom in people coming from New York, New Jersey and California NOT JUST TO RICHMOND but to the HAMPTON ROADS too.

Cadeho were do you live, it must not be in Richmond or anywhere near downtown, because I can't believe you haven't seen the housing boom and the population boom and business boom in downtown and areas around it in Richmond. White people (not to put them on the spot) are living in Jackson Ward (traditionally a neighborhood for Black people). Businesses are coming back to Broad St, Grace St, Main St, Cary St, and Franklin st. Shockoe is back on track. So I can't believe you haven't seen the population boom in people coming from New York, New Jersey and California NOT JUST TO RICHMOND but to the HAMPTON ROADS too.

What does this have to do with the name of our region???????? :huh:

I say Hampton Roads because, while Norfolk and Virginia Beach are the larger, more economically-important (arguably) cities in the region, it doesn't really describe the entirety of the region. Nonetheless, my second-runner-up would be "Greater Norfolk". It's the primary city and the cultural and urban hub of the region. If Virginia Beach's Pembroke development continues and expands, perhaps "Norfolk-Virginia Beach" could become appropriate.

Man, this isn't easy! It's just not right to have so many minor league cities jammed up together and see them battle it out for the title. In some ways I say just call it Norfolk. It has the biggest airport, the biggest downtown (the only downtown that actually feels like a downtown), the better museums, the largest Navy base in the world, the Tides (minor league, but still), it's smack in the center of our Hampton Roads Beltway.

After getting that out, I say NORFOLK. But then I think about the Beach and that sure has some zing to it as well. The coolest thing on the Penisula is Williamsburg, but there ain't no way we're calling this area Williamsburg. I say until Virginia Beach grows an international airport and a minor league baseball team, lets go with NORFOLK. We need to respect the core! haha

this is so stupid! :rofl:

If only Norfolk had some major league baseball or football we can end this weirdo argument.

Been thinking about it some more, and Hampton Roads is beginning to appear as the only choice. It is more narrow than Tidewater and includes North Carolina. It also does not allienate other municipalities like Norfolk, Norfolk-VB, or 7 Cities do.

However, Hampton Roads cannot be used on its own since few know where that is. It must be Hampton Roads, (Coastal) Virginia-North Carolina. Immediately, you know that it is along the Virginia-Carolina border and if coastal is added, then you know it is along the Atlantic.

But it still needs one more thing: a slogan. Since 9/11, I always thought Virginia should put America's Birthplace on its license plates. Now, I think HR should use that as its slogan. Hampton Roads: America's Birthplace. The controversy that would start would be instant national publicity. Put the name and area right on the national map.

As for historical backing: Roanoke Island, First Landing Cross, Jamestown, Jefferson went to W&M where he developed his political ideologies, and the Battle of Yorktown. Expanded to Virginia would be easier since you have Jefferson, writer of the Declaraion and president who purchase Louisiana territories; Madison, writer of the Constitution; and Washington, Commander-in-Chief of Continental Army and first president.

The term Northern Virginia works for me. It describes a region/Metro and where it is located at once. You cannot avoid knowing where Nova is. Where's Northern Virginia? It's, duh, the north side of VA. I'm wondering if Hampton Roads actually spoke to where it is on the map, would we be having this talk? Hampton Roads has the misfortune of being confusing. Is it a road? Are there a lot of roads there called Hampton? Though "Southeastern Virginia" sounds odd to me, it's more direct. California has Southern and Northern California. I sort of wish we had it that easy.

Another bad thing about Hampton Roads is Hampton. No offence, but if the name was Portsmouth Roads I think you'd get the idea. It's like someone picked the least recognizable of the cities and put the word Roads after it. It really is a curse of a name.

Alexandria, Fairfax, Arlington, Herndon....I'm happy calling the whole thing Northern Virginia. Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News.....I'm not happy calling the whole thing Hampton Roads. If somehow everyone in the country could know once and for all that it has nothing to do with Hampton or Roads and everything to do with a metro that contains Norfolk and Virginia Beach and it's surrounds, I suppose it would do just fine.

Really, what if San Diego tried calling it's metro La Joya Roads? Doesn't that just sound bad?

I'm not sure what to call our area, but I do recognize that we need a name. We have at least two cities here, Norfolk and Virginia Beach, that if it were not for the other, we'd all just call it Norfolk or Virginia Beach. (Any merger talks in the works?) I think this is more the question, what do you call the combined Norfolk and Virginia Beach?

1) You could call it one or the other.

2) You could call it something else.

3) You could call it by it's location on a map (Southeastern Virginia).

4) You could call it both (Norfolk-Virginia Beach).

My vote.....Southeastern Virginia. It's too generic to offend anyone, and it speaks to where we are. I think that's all it needs to be. Let Norfolk be Norfolk. Let Virginia Beach be Virginia Beach. Let Newport News be Newport News.

My vote.....Southeastern Virginia. It's too generic to offend anyone, and it speaks to where we are. I think that's all it needs to be. Let Norfolk be Norfolk. Let Virginia Beach be Virginia Beach. Let Newport News be Newport News.

My only knock on it is what about northeastern NC? They're part of the metro area, too.

My only knock on it is what about northeastern NC? They're part of the metro area, too.

I did think of that a little. Again you could look to Northern Virginia. Up there you have Washington DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia. I think here we should have Southeastern Virginia and NC can do what ever it wants. If it's Northeastern NC, that's cool. Does that mean they are not a part of our metro? No. Northern VA, Maryland and WDC are definately one big metro. Philadelphia, Wilmington, and South Jersey are one big metro, and so on. I think there is room for Southeastern Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina to be one metro. I didn't say call it "Southeastern Virginia/Not-At-All-Northeastern North Carolina." :rofl:

Our collective name, here in Virginia, just has to be self evident. That's all. Southeastern Virginia gives you just that. Where is it? Duh, it's in the Southeastern portion of the Commonwealth of Virginia. It's so easy you don't have to give it a further thought, which is another thing this collective name should do.

The term Northern Virginia works for me. It describes a region/Metro and where it is located at once. You cannot avoid knowing where Nova is. Where's Northern Virginia? It's, duh, the north side of VA. I'm wondering if Hampton Roads actually spoke to where it is on the map, would we be having this talk? Hampton Roads has the misfortune of being confusing. Is it a road? Are there a lot of roads there called Hampton? Though "Southeastern Virginia" sounds odd to me, it's more direct. California has Southern and Northern California. I sort of wish we had it that easy.

Another bad thing about Hampton Roads is Hampton. No offence, but if the name was Portsmouth Roads I think you'd get the idea. It's like someone picked the least recognizable of the cities and put the word Roads after it. It really is a curse of a name.

Alexandria, Fairfax, Arlington, Herndon....I'm happy calling the whole thing Northern Virginia. Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News.....I'm not happy calling the whole thing Hampton Roads. If somehow everyone in the country could know once and for all that it has nothing to do with Hampton or Roads and everything to do with a metro that contains Norfolk and Virginia Beach and it's surrounds, I suppose it would do just fine.

Really, what if San Diego tried calling it's metro La Joya Roads? Doesn't that just sound bad?

I'm not sure what to call our area, but I do recognize that we need a name. We have at least two cities here, Norfolk and Virginia Beach, that if it were not for the other, we'd all just call it Norfolk or Virginia Beach. (Any merger talks in the works?) I think this is more the question, what do you call the combined Norfolk and Virginia Beach?

1) You could call it one or the other.

2) You could call it something else.

3) You could call it by it's location on a map (Southeastern Virginia).

4) You could call it both (Norfolk-Virginia Beach).

Well the whole area sits on Hampton Roads, the body of water (although I'd much rather say the James). It's basically in the middle of the region.

Archived