Does anyone think that Comcast will ever have competition in Savannah

Savboy08

I know this is a wierd topic, but i wonder if Comcast will ever have competition in Savannah. I don't think that Comcast in Savannah is not doing that good of a job. We are behind many other Comcast when it comes to upgrades and etc. For example, most Comcast markets offer all channels in digital to digital cable subscribers. Many markets completed this last year, and the remainder earlier this year, and I don't think Savannah's Comcast officials even plan to begin it this year. They also said something about releasing their phone service this summer, but I doubt it. I don't quite understand it, all other Georgia markets receive these services. Heck Augusta's prices are far lower than ours. Atlanta's prices are a little higher(like a dollar higher in their highest "package"), but Atlanta receives far more channels and services. Savannah's prices are excessive for their value. What is going on? I mean, the only thing that can probably solve that problem is competition.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That does seem weird about Savannah only having Comcast. You guys don't have Knology? I don't know, I hate Comcast. Well not really, thanks to a mistake a rep made on the phone with me, I now have digital cable for $30 a month and internet for $40. Not really that bad. I like Comcast because of that On-Demand package. Not sure if Knology does it.

That does seem weird about Savannah only having Comcast. You guys don't have Knology? I don't know, I hate Comcast. Well not really, thanks to a mistake a rep made on the phone with me, I now have digital cable for $30 a month and internet for $40. Not really that bad. I like Comcast because of that On-Demand package. Not sure if Knology does it.

Comcast is more expensive than knology in Augusta, but Comcast has very good infrastructure up there vs. the infrastructure in Savannah. For example, y'all already have the new products like digital voice, and all digital simulcast. they deployed all digital simulcast there before they finished it in Atlanta. Of the other two Georgia Comcast markets, Savannah's is the most neglected when it comes to new products. Yet they raise rates every year. Their excuse is, "well we added a few channels"(lame channels at that). The other markets got a rate increase, but that's after the deployment of new products and quite a few channel additions. We have the highest rate for expanded basic in Georgia too. When it comes to digital service, at least Comcast's top package, Atlanta only beats us by 50 cent, and they get a superior line-up to go with it. The rest of Savannah's packages Vs those of Atlanta are more expensive. And Augusta, well y'all are dirt-cheap compared to us. And you get more too. For example, Comcast just gave y'all another sports package. Y'all have all of the Fox Sports Channels(so does Atlanta) and Savannah has yet to see a package similar to it.

Comcast does not treat this market fairly.

• 5 months later...

Apparently it's true that Savannah is getting a bum wrap on cable service (especially broadband). My relatives from Savannah came up on Christmas, and to their surprise, 20,000kbps download and 2000+kbps upload (well until Comcast put in the cap). With 8,000kbps download on wireless alone.

But it all comes at a price. $90 a month for both basic cable and broadband. Comcast is like the cellphone companies and will charge what it can get away with, and keep adding extra charges (eventually we'll be needing to rent digital convertors for ALL of the channels). It's all possible, because Savannah and Augusta doesn't hold Comcast's feet to the fire on it's services and rates like other communities do.

If Knology, or another carrier, can compete with Comcast, it can surely bring down these outrageous prices. Heck, I can rent *good* Internap bandwidth and web space cheaper than what Comcast charges, with zero outtages. :(

First company that offers 1Mbps upload speeds with redundancy at a reasonable rate that allows servers on their network will get my business. For it's not the d/l speed that's needed now, it's the upload and the ability to run personal servers (some of our desktop computers can beat standard datacentered servers now).

They can't, unless they want to fight our commissioners and angry residents. :popcorn: Because in Richmond county folks aren't living on $50,000/yr income to afford all digital ready TVs, let alone plain LCDs. To pay to rent yet another piece of hardware will be the straw that broke the camel's back, they'll migrate to the dish (which comes with the convertor). Believe the same would be true in Savannah. Format changes are a p-a-i-n.

Think Augusta has cable phone service already (the ads depict it), but being totally cell now not jumping on it (as like Vonage, the rates are just going to increase because the PSC seems to be asleep at the wheel). $160/mon for cable and cell. This is deregulation????

If I want to talk via broadband, I'll set up a VPN to a remote computer, put on my headset, open AIM or whatever and talk (full duplex even). Why pay an extra $30/mon for that? Same can be said of services like Goto Meeting, when free alternatives exist?

...And since this site limits quotes (god I depise Inivision forum ware) I'll add my replies below only...

*It's not known to be Comcrap for nothing. ;)

Nickle and diming, meanwhile the service becomes worse by the year. Having 20,000kbps d/l speeds mean nothing if the network is down, or some frontend starts to crapout and they refuse to repair it for a year (after many truck rolls knowing damn well what the problem was from the start, too). Massive packet losses, complete connection loss for hours a day, and they refused to fix it. $#*($@_A*%@+

--

*They get away with it because in Augusta and Savannah no one complains to their commissioners/licensing boards. They are licensed to provide a service in cities, as it's a utility, and they fall under the same regulations as power, water and phone services.

But another factor in Savannah rates is the overall expense in living there. Property taxes and all are more expensive than Augusta, and would be closer to Atlanta is range (especially downtown Savannah -- million dollar townhouses....YIKES!).

Comcrap, that's funny!!! Well, how does Knology compare? I was going to go with them, but Comcast offered the better package. Through it all, I'm still satisfied with Comcast---for the most part. The On Demand feature is great. Some nights we just order off of there instead of heading to Hollywood or Blockbuster.

They must try to get the most out of the more wealthy residents, otherwise having their current prices wouldn't be wise in a city with a poverty level of 25%.(I don't think our higher living expenses do justice in lowering that rate. There are not a lot of high-paying jobs here, but it can cost quite a bit to live here, doesn't make sense. )

Archived