Art Galleries

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Are that many people buying art that it's possible to pay rent on Lake Drive and Division and wherever else?"

Yes, indeed. I see local artists' work in some of my clients homes, prominently displayed, and people who are able to purchase original art are more likely to own a second, or vacation home, which also needs decorating.

One of my family members was the original owner and namesake of the Bergsma Gallery in the Grand Plaza. The truth is that a whole lot of marketing outside of foot traffic is what keeps a gallery afloat. It truly takes word of mouth and some consistency in either the type of art or in the artists featured to build a foundation to survive on. If you develop a reputation for a certain genre or artist, art collectors will continue to come back. It becomes more of a destination.

Heck not all local art is even all that expensive.

I'm by no means a candidate for a second home (heck, I can barely afford my house now), but when we need to buy gifts, or decorate a room, we usually go to art galleries. You can find nice stuff at a decent price. It's not all $1,000 paintings.

Heck not all local art is even all that expensive.

I'm by no means a candidate for a second home (heck, I can barely afford my house now), but when we need to buy gifts, or decorate a room, we usually go to art galleries. You can find nice stuff at a decent price. It's not all $1,000 paintings.

You are right on Suydam. A lot of galleries offer affordable retail items that keep the daily sales coming in.

Corporate sales really help, too. And many galleries have collectors from all over the U.S. and the world. Heck, I've bought some really cool art online from a gallery in Philadelphia, a series of Castellons from a guy in Germany... nowadays with the internet, just about anything is possible.

...and from framing.

Archived