The West End

ctman987

Just a few observations I thought I would share

Every night of the week Farmington Avenue from Whitney Street to Sisson Avenue and then Sisson from Farmington down to I-84 is filled with activity.

The restaurants are packed with people and many of these restaurants feature outdoor seating such as Tisane, Braza, Half Door and Vegas Blvd (on Sisson) and Wood N' Tap. There is also the popular Ichiban on Farmington Ave, a new Spanish restaurant on Farmington Ave and numerous pizza places (Whitney St Grinder, Sgt Pepperoni, City Pizza & Sisson Ave Pizza)

It is nice to see people walking around and eating outside on those few blocks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I been driving down Farmington Ave a lot for work, and I also agree that the street definitelly looks very lively these days. Once you get into West Hartford Farmington Ave gets a little boring, but is great again once you get into WH center.

That's good to hear as I'm moving into the neighborhood in August. A suburban boy dipping his toes into the Hartford housing pool...who'd a thunk it? ;)

Just a few observations I thought I would share

Every night of the week Farmington Avenue from Whitney Street to Sisson Avenue and then Sisson from Farmington down to I-84 is filled with activity.

The restaurants are packed with people and many of these restaurants feature outdoor seating such as Tisane, Braza, Half Door and Vegas Blvd (on Sisson) and Wood N' Tap. There is also the popular Ichiban on Farmington Ave, a new Spanish restaurant on Farmington Ave and numerous pizza places (Whitney St Grinder, Sgt Pepperoni, City Pizza & Sisson Ave Pizza)

It is nice to see people walking around and eating outside on those few blocks.

The west end certainly is quite lively around Farmington Ave. However, I think there is still some work to be done in the area. Some of the businesses and apartments in the area are a bit rundown. I would like it if in the future perhaps some brick sidewalks with elegant lamposts. Some trees and some more pedestrian crossings would be nice too. The area has some real potential and I think that the Clemens Place apartments are architectual gems from the exterior at least.

http://www.farmingtonavenue.org/

http://www.farmingtonavenue.org/html/planSummary.htm

The west end certainly is quite lively around Farmington Ave. However, I think there is still some work to be done in the area. Some of the businesses and apartments in the area are a bit rundown. I would like it if in the future perhaps some brick sidewalks with elegant lamposts. Some trees and some more pedestrian crossings would be nice too. The area has some real potential and I think that the Clemens Place apartments are architectual gems from the exterior at least.

Asylum Hill badly needs to be cleaned up. There are beautiful brick victorian houses that have been badly neglected from Woodland down to Collins. And the corner of Farmington and Laurel always has shady characters hanging out. If just a little bit of money was put into this neighborhood to help the housing stock, you would see an influx of the middle class. The houses are far too beautiful. It is a shame what has happened in this neighborhood.

Farmington and Laurel has always been shady. I used to hang out at the Comet back in the late 80's/early 90's, and there was all sorts of nasty stuff going on around there. I think the main problem in that specific part of Asylum Hill is that there is some sort of home or something around there that is for people that are too unstable/retarded/incapable or what-have-you to really live on their own, but they have a semblance of autonomy in that home. For years there's been really crazy people in that area, and some guys I work with talked about working in some buildings that house those people in an assisted living type enviroment.

Some nice thoughts to hear about the west end....

My grandparents owned many apartments buildings in the city (in the north end, on Ann Street and then finally on Farmington Avenue). They owned a building called the Belevedere on Farmington Avenue between Subway (at Sisson & Farmington) and Clemens Place. By the time my grandparents bought the Farmington Avenue building my mom and my aunt & uncle were in high school and college so they were able to go and hang out in Hartford. They loved the city but soon things went a little downhill but my grandparents kept the Belvedere but moved to Wethersfield and my mom, aunt & uncle soon got married and also lived in the suburbs. Two arson related fires forced my grandparents to finally sell the building.

Anyway when I brought my mom down to Farmington Ave at night she says that it almost looks a little bit the way it was when she lived there....meaning it was busy with people walking around.

When I brought my uncle (he knows Hartford has problems but still frequents the downtown Bars and restaurants) to the Half Door and the Wood N' Tap he couldnt beleive these places were there, how packed they were and that he didnt know about them.

So hope these comments bring everyones hopes up a bit!!

Archived