Downtown Ethnic Festivals

dbrok

Maybe there's another thread about this somewhere, but now WOOD reported that Polish Festival is also getting the axe this year due to lack of funds. So now German and Polish Festival won't be happening. I think this is ridiculous. There was talk of charging $5 admission to get into Polish Fest but for some reason the idea didn't catch on an its cancelled anyway. What's the big deal with charging a fee to get in? I would definitely pay to go. Milwaukee hosts a different ethnic festival nearly every week at its SummerFest grounds and charges up to $8 or $10 admission. $5 is still a bargain. I just don't see why the City announces cancellations before finding sponsors or attempting to charge and admission fee and see how the community responds. Anyway, my two cents.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe there's another thread about this somewhere, but now WOOD reported that Polish Festival is also getting the axe this year due to lack of funds. So now German and Polish Festival won't be happening. I think this is ridiculous. There was talk of charging $5 admission to get into Polish Fest but for some reason the idea didn't catch on an its cancelled anyway. What's the big deal with charging a fee to get in? I would definitely pay to go. Milwaukee hosts a different ethnic festival nearly every week at its SummerFest grounds and charges up to $8 or $10 admission. $5 is still a bargain. I just don't see why the City announces cancellations before finding sponsors or attempting to charge and admission fee and see how the community responds. Anyway, my two cents.

My understanding is that the City doesn't put on these festivals, the different ethnic societies/organizations do, and that they were the ones who annonced the cancellation.

I believe the city provided a lot of services and equipment for these festivals in the past, but that is drying up due to revenue sharing cuts at the State level.

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind paying a small admission fee.

My guess, the city is just trying to guilt more corporate sponsers to pony up. we'll see. Will there come a point when the city will stop cutting services? Has the erosion of the tax base stabalized yet?

My understanding is that the City doesn't put on these festivals, the different ethnic societies/organizations do, and that they were the ones who annonced the cancellation.

I believe the city provided a lot of services and equipment for these festivals in the past, but that is drying up due to revenue sharing cuts at the State level.

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind paying a small admission fee.

The Polish festival honcho suggested combining efforts with the German and (I can't recall the other one) festivals. Good idea! Split the costs of rented items and police overtime. The average person can't tell one beer tent/accordion ensemble from another.

Of course, a little "adverse" publicity never hurts when it comes to attracting sponsors (look what it did for the fireworks). Who's got deep pockets and is of that ethnicity or heritage?

My guess, the city is just trying to guilt more corporate sponsers to pony up. we'll see. Will there come a point when the city will stop cutting services? Has the erosion of the tax base stabalized yet?

Repeat, this is not a City event (like 4th of July fireworks).

• 3 weeks later...

So much for the City's argument as well as other "save the Calder Plaza" fanatics that the Plaza is needed for festivals . . .the German fest also was cancelled . . . .good thing we are hanging on to those incredibly beautiful brown buildings on the Plaza . . .sheesh . . .

Repeat, this is not a City event (like 4th of July fireworks).

Somehow it seems like the city is involved with these festivals, though. I talked to the organizers of one of the two major festivals that was cancelled at Festival of the Arts and she seemed pretty irritated with the City and with the way things turned out. I was really under the impression that the City subsidizes some of the funding.

Archived