Lake Maumelle

We're talking about some of the best developable land in Arkansas, certainly the best in Pulaski County. It could easily become a highly desirable lakeside community of hilltop mansions, lakefront condos and marinas, and sprawling shopping centers. LR is already well on its way out to meet it.

Is the water this much of an issue? In DFW the reservoirs (Lake Ray Hubbard, Lake Lewisville, Eagle Mountain Lake, Lake Grapevine, etc) are all recreational lakes. LR takes enormous pride in the quality of its water but should it be done at the expense of growth?

Another counterargument is that this is pure sprawl anyway and that LR SHOULDN'T go out that way.

What's your opinion?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're talking about some of the best developable land in Arkansas, certainly the best in Pulaski County. It could easily become a highly desirable lakeside community of hilltop mansions, lakefront condos and marinas, and sprawling shopping centers. LR is already well on its way out to meet it.

Is the water this much of an issue? In DFW the reservoirs (Lake Ray Hubbard, Lake Lewisville, Eagle Mountain Lake, Lake Grapevine, etc) are all recreational lakes. LR takes enormous pride in the quality of its water but should it be done at the expense of growth?

Another counterargument is that this is pure sprawl anyway and that LR SHOULDN'T go out that way.

What's your opinion?

While I don't support development out that far from a "sprawl" and lack of real growth standpoint, the idea that the watershed is completely sacred is total rubish. I assume that most of you know that you can't even swim in the lake. Why is it that both development and - heaven forbid - swimming, is acceptable in many, many other water sources in the country, but not Lake Maumelle. My parents told me way back when that this was set up that way originally for political reasons, but honestly, I don't know what they meant by that.

I hear there's a pretty exclusive country club out there near the lake-- is there residential development with that? (I keep meaning to drive out there)

MAJORLY exclusive. There are only like 100 (or 500?) members. Either way, I'll let you do the math as to how much that'd set you back. It is by far the nicest clubhouse and course in the state, and there is no way you can just drive out to see it. I've talked to a few people who've been out there as guests, and they say the facilities are top notch. By the way, its called "Alotian."

I hear there's a pretty exclusive country club out there near the lake-- is there residential development with that? (I keep meaning to drive out there)

It's in view of it but not on it and not in its watershed.

The membership fee for the Alotian is supposedly $150,000, BTW.

• 4 weeks later...

It is sounding more and more like a settlement is being negotiated between developer Rick Ferguson, who deals almost exclusively in homes greater than $750,000 in price and Central Arkansas Water which serves 400,000 customers. The big issue is that CAW can't pay anywhere near the real value of the land. Complicating this is that the lake's western shores are in rural Perry County and a recent meeting with the community there did not go well for CAW as the Perry Co residents did not want to be told what to do with their land.

Some images of Lake Maumelle from the areas in question...

034.jpg

019.jpg

028.jpg

035.jpg

• 10 months later...

Central Arkansas Water has been working pretty amicably with Rick Ferguson and Deltic Timber, the two largest landowners on the lake's Eastern shores. They came to terms with Deltic and are close to doing so with Ferguson.

Now CAW is at odds with Jay Dehaven, who is planning to develop 965 acres west of Lake Maumelle. He's apparently not agreeable because of his 5 acre per lot per rule and wants CAW to reimburse him for his decreased profits.

Has anyone ever seen a lake spark so many lawsuits?

Before long development will inch into the Perry Co side, which will be very development-friendly.

Central Arkansas Water has been working pretty amicably with Rick Ferguson and Deltic Timber, the two largest landowners on the lake's Eastern shores. They came to terms with Deltic and are close to doing so with Ferguson.

Now CAW is at odds with Jay Dehaven, who is planning to develop 965 acres west of Lake Maumelle. He's apparently not agreeable because of his 5 acre per lot per rule and wants CAW to reimburse him for his decreased profits.

Has anyone ever seen a lake spark so many lawsuits?

Before long development will inch into the Perry Co side, which will be very development-friendly.

That kind of scenery on 5-acre lots will be something special for those wealthy enough to afford it.

That scenery's why Stephens built the Alotian out there.

I always kind of figured that this area would have to be developed. The whole Hwy 10 corridor is gorgeous with its forested hills and mountains but the area around Lake Maumelle, which is just crystal blue, is even moreso.

Like Beaver Lake in NWA, development and the resultant run-off could soon turn those crystal blue waters into brown, murky sludge.

I recall when Beaver lake was very clear, much more like Greers Ferry.

Not so anymore.

The development along the lakeshore definitely had a lot to do with this change.

Like Beaver Lake in NWA, development and the resultant run-off could soon turn those crystal blue waters into brown, murky sludge.

I recall when Beaver lake was very clear, much more like Greers Ferry.

Not so anymore.

The development along the lakeshore definitely had a lot to do with this change.

I'm hoping the extreme limitations being put on development around Lake Maumelle will keep it blue. Condo project, etc like those around Beaver are out of the question. In the watershed there can't be more than one house every five acres and no commercial or multifamily. Plus, CAW owns some of the watershed outright and there will be no development there.

Besides, recreational usage stirs up the lake and makes it brown. Beaver Lake is a nice recreational lake, Maumelle's usage is restricted.

I know what you mean about the changes around Beaver Lake. I used to go there as a kid.

I don't think recreational use really does much to turn a lake brown. Lake Ouachita is still green and the second cleanest lake in the continental US despite the houseboats and motorboats. That stirred up dirt settles within a few minutes, if it's even stirred up at all (the dirt won't get stirred up in deeper parts of the lake).

I know what you mean but the boat usage per square mile of water is probably a hundred times higher on Hamilton than Ouachita. Plus there's more speedboating on Hamilton and little fishing, Quachita has a lot of people fishing in slower boats that don't cause much of a problem. Boating does stir up sediment in shallow areas.

Of course, a lot more of Hamilton is shallower than Quachita which is generally a deep lake.

Archived