Corporate GR: June 2106

tamias6

Kind of going off the topic "Grand Rapids, June 2106" located elsewhere in the GR Coffee House, I decided to give us forumers an opportunity to look into the crystal ball and predict how corporate GR will look and feel 20, 40, 60, even hundred years or more into the futue. Will Meijer, Inc. remain a family owned company, go public, or get trampled by Wal-mart? Will Alticore take over the world? Will the office funiture giants Steelcase and Hermin Miller merge or fade away? Will our fair city become homebase to some Fortune 500 companies? Will new entrepenures topple the DeVoses, VanAndels, and the Meijers to become the next big shots of GR with their names on every building. It's anyone's guessing game. So have at it and post your pedictions of corporate GR of the future.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of going off the topic "Grand Rapids, June 2106" located elsewhere in the GR Coffee House, I decided to give us forumers an opportunity to look into the crystal ball and predict how Corperate GR will look and feel 20, 40, 60, even hundred years or more into the futue. Will Meijer, Inc. remain a family owned company, go public, or get trampled by Wal-mart? Will Alticore take over the world? Will the office funiture giants Steelcase and Hermin Miller merge or fade away? Will our fair city become homebase to some Fortune 500 companies? Will new entrepenures topple the DeVoses, VanAndels, and the Meijers to become the next big shots of GR with their names on every building. It's anyone's guessing game and so have at it and post your pedictions of corperate GR of the future.

Do you mean corporate?

Kind of going off the topic "Grand Rapids, June 2106" located elsewhere in the GR Coffee House, I decided to give us forumers an opportunity to look into the crystal ball and predict how corporate GR will look and feel 20, 40, 60, even hundred years or more into the futue. Will Meijer, Inc. remain a family owned company, go public, or get trampled by Wal-mart? Will Alticore take over the world? Will the office funiture giants Steelcase and Hermin Miller merge or fade away? Will our fair city become homebase to some Fortune 500 companies? Will new entrepenures topple the DeVoses, VanAndels, and the Meijers to become the next big shots of GR with their names on every building. It's anyone's guessing game. So have at it and post your pedictions of corporate GR of the future.

Holy cow! The typos and grammatical errors in the title and in this opening statement are off the charts. <_<

Not trying to be anal, but come on, Hermin Miller? Wal-mart (with a hyphen)? Alticore? Corperate (I thought maybe it was cooperate)?

FWIW: Walmart will not exist as we know it in 2106. There's a good chance we won't leave our homes to buy necessities, and Walmart will not have the right business model for at-home retailing.

In 2106, my grandchildren will own and operate a multitude of diverse companies, ranging from the leading property development and construction company specializing in historic renovations and reproductions, to owning and operating the Amway Grand, (Name changed to the

wal-mart will get splintered into tiny little pieces at some point when it becomes a monopoly.

on the topic, i really hope one of the region's local banks; macatawa, mercantile, etc grow to be a strong regional bank like 5/3 or even better as a national bank.

and more of a pipe dream for me would be to form a medical conglomerate involving perrigo & stryker...

i guess my bank dream is more of a 15-20 yr goal rather then 100 year goal

One hundred years from now...

Corporate/cubicle life will have evolved into small neighborhood work stations (like the community police stations of old.) Workers will have long since risen up in defiance of cubicle servitude, and fuel will be so precious that it can't be wasted on traveling to a distant workplace. Walkability will be the norm born of necessity, rather than Urban Planning specifically.

Sprawlmart will have ceased to exist, thanks to the Great llegal Immigrant Worker Uprising of 2018, wherein the masses rise up in righteous indignation against low wages and destroy the half-finished Texas Border Fence.

One hundred years from now...

Corporate/cubicle life will have evolved into small neighborhood work stations (like the community police stations of old.) Workers will have long since risen up in defiance of cubicle servitude, and fuel will be so precious that it can't be wasted on traveling to a distant workplace. Walkability will be the norm born of necessity, rather than Urban Planning specifically.

This is an interesting concept, Zen. So everyone works close to home, but these work stations would have everything you'd need to get different jobs done. It'd be like telecommuting, but with other people who are all doing it for a different company. It would definintely help build a sense of community - you'd know your neighbors because you'd be working with them at the community work station.

Hmmm...having been a freelancer working from a home office, I would have welcomed a place like this now and then to lessen the need to talk to myself!

In the year 2106, the world will no longer be flat. We will find globalization made the world too small, that it crushed itself, imploded, and the world is back to a slower pace of life. This means that Meijer may be around, but it will be that local store on the corner once more. Wal-Mart will be mentioned in history textbooks, like Standard Oil is today. Alticore will finally collapse under it's pyramid. And Grand Rapids will indeed, thanks to the thinking of its previous benefactors, be considered a marvel of medicine, and for having one of the cleanest rivers in the country (not to mention the best fish ladder).

I find it safe to say that not as many people will remember the DeVos's, VanAndel's, or the Meijer's, since we see a low amount of current citizens who recall the Blodgett boys, the Waters, Welsh, or any of our previous benefactors/prominant citizens.

Archived