TN Route 475

flith

TDOT has announced that it will build the Orange Route for TN Route 475 through Hardin Valley. It will be a 28 mile bypass of Knoxville for I-75. They bypass will have two interchanges.

From what I understand TDOT perfers to build new "interstates" as state routes to avoid more stringent ferderal requirements for Environmental Impact Statments. Illionis has been doing the same thing around Chicago.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TDOT has announced that it will build the Orange Route for TN Route 475 through Hardin Valley. It will be a 28 mile bypass of Knoxville for I-75. They bypass will have two interchanges.

From what I understand TDOT perfers to build new "interstates" as state routes to avoid more stringent ferderal requirements for Environmental Impact Statments. Illionis has been doing the same thing around Chicago.

This road will do wonders to releiving traffic congestion on the west side of Knoxville and will reduce the mileage for I-75 travellers through the Knoxville area. I bet the truckers really want this road built. I hope they fast track this project. Here's the route:

TNRoute475.jpg

That addition to the system is going to be great to help divert traffic out of the crowded 75/40 corridor. The interstate is already 10 to 12 lanes wide in most areas between Farragut and West Hills and crowded now. With traffic growth the way it has been it will only be a matter of time before even more lanes will be needed.

On a side note, last weekend I took a weekend trip to a mission my church helps to support in WV. While on my way we got caught in a little traffic jam in Knoxville on I-40 in the old Downtown area which is scheduled to be demolished and rebuilt soon. While sitting in traffic me and my traveling buddy was able to get some pretty neat shots from the elevated interstate of the downtown sky line. I

• 3 months later...

That addition to the system is going to be great to help divert traffic out of the crowded 75/40 corridor. The interstate is already 10 to 12 lanes wide in most areas between Farragut and West Hills and crowded now. With traffic growth the way it has been it will only be a matter of time before even more lanes will be needed.

On a side note, last weekend I took a weekend trip to a mission my church helps to support in WV. While on my way we got caught in a little traffic jam in Knoxville on I-40 in the old Downtown area which is scheduled to be demolished and rebuilt soon. While sitting in traffic me and my traveling buddy was able to get some pretty neat shots from the elevated interstate of the downtown sky line. I

I was just in Knoxville last weekend and didn't notice any 12 lane sections. There are a few 10 lane areas though. Does TDOT go 12 wide? (or does it change an existing lane to HOV?) It's been a long time since I was in Memphis or Nashville, all I can remember are 10 lane areas. Chattanooga just got its first 10 lane stretch of freeway between the Shallowford Rd and Bonny Oaks exits. I've heard when the I-24 and I-75 interchange is rebuilt a lane may be added from there to E. Brainerd Rd. bringing that to 10 lanes, and a lane added into N. Georgia but I heard that 10 years ago.

Memphis has one 12-lane section on I-40 between I-240 and Sycamore View, east of the loop. There are multiple 10-lane sections, especially on the south leg of I-240 and I-55. I don't know much about Nashville widths. I was surprised to read "10-12 lanes in Knoxville"...

Well I just Google Earthed the hwy coming into Knoxville.

Starting at the I-40/75 split and heading east into Knoxville this is the layout.

At Watt Rd, 6 lanes.

At the weigh station, 6 lanes.

At Lovell Rd, 6 lanes.

At Pellissippi Parkway things get pretty busy. Lanes quickly come and go and I think that is the area where I noticed a short term 6th lane in one direction, but it is not sustained.

Just past the Pellissippi interchange when merging lanes settle down you find a consistent 10 lanes.

At Cedar Bluff Rd 2 lanes are gone as off ramps and quickly come back as merging lanes keeping the total at 10 lanes except for a small section.

The next exit heading east is Bridgewater Rd and Walker Springs Rd and from that point the interstate is at 8 lanes until you hit the existing construction areas around West Town Mall and Peppermill Dr.

So over all the Interstate is a fairly consistant 10 lanes from Pellissippi Parkway to the Walker Springs Exit.

I was thinking there were some very small sections of 12 lane interstate between some of the close exits between west town and farragut

There is a section of the recently widened I-65 stretch going north out of Nashville that has an amazing 14 lanes! It's at 12 lanes for several miles. There is also a stretch of I-40 between Briley Parkway and the airport that is at 12 lanes.

There is a section of the recently widened I-65 stretch going north out of Nashville that has an amazing 14 lanes! It's at 12 lanes for several miles. There is also a stretch of I-40 between Briley Parkway and the airport that is at 12 lanes.

That's getting up there with I-75 N. out of Atlanta. I haven't been through Nashville since before 2001.

Archived