Five Points

mr. chips

^I was going to say the same thing about the streetscape. I think that project has definitely paid off for Five Points.

I completely disagree. I think that Five Points looks virtually the same as it did before all those $$ were spent. It was a missed opportunity to do something interesting and unique. Saluda should have become a pedestrian zone, with more space for outdoor cafes, and a focal point for the area. The sidewalks on Devine should have been much wider. And all the sidewalks should have been paved with bricks. More plantings, sculptures, etc. The only part of the project that has improved the area is the median along Harden St. And the fountain near Blossom St. (though that should have extended all along Saluda as the centerpiece of the area!!) I think the aerial view shows how uninviting the area is, with large tracts of unused land, and little that is green. I find it very disappointing.

^With any streetscaping, the greenery will suffer a bit, until the saplings reach maturity. There is consistency in the plantings, and it will show once the saplings get a bit older.

Some things you're asking for, I think, would have been a bit too expensive and would have definitely result in some cost overruns, like all the sidewalks being paved with bricks and the Saluda Street fountain having extended the full length of the street (that would have been quite unfeasible). Five Points has already done a lot right, most notably with the mix of retail and restaurants, inviting shopfronts, etc. To me, that alone makes it inviting.

And I don't think the streetscape had anything to do with unused parcels of land. That's coming (a la Five Points South). If anything, streetscapings help such areas attract more development, resulting in less vacant tracts of land.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

But isn't it cool to have two very distinct urban retail, restaurant and entertainment districts in downtown Columbia, with a third on its way? Something tells me that with the cost of gas, the trolleys will come out of hiding before too long for a Vista-to-Main-to Five Points-to Vista shuttle service. We just need some more time to build up the critical mass in each area, but it's coming. Even better would be hydrogen fuel cell-powered shuttle buses.