Five Points

mr. chips

^I seriously doubt you'll have to worry about that at all.

I doubt it, too. Although I have heard that the city is interested in luring big box retailers downtown. It's a discussion for another topic, but the rumor I heard is that S. Assembly is being eyed for this.

Edited by emerging.me

A new development coming to 5 Points apparently...but they won't say exactly what. Sounds like retail though.

http://www.thestate.com/news/story/149289.html

So, their local agent is on the DDRC? He wouldn't actually be involved in discussions about their developments would he? Such an obvious conflict of interest... I assume they'd have rules about that.

Also... I don't know these guys, but the whole thing about not talking unless the paper does a write-up on all their other projects makes these guys sound like a bunch of scammers. I bet they didn't count on that being included in the piece. :)

Edited by emerging.me

^^ Exactly, and to me it just sounds as if we're going to end up being stuck with another Food Lion strip.

What's your beef with Food Lion?!?

Just kidding. ;)

For those of you that haven't been to a Bloom grocery store -- Food Lion's new cooled out brand -- it's pretty sweet!

I am not a shareholder. And let me see how far off topic I can get. Sorry. To bring it back... They are currently converting older Food Lions in some markets to Bloom stores... I've been hoping the one in Five Points gets switched over.

Edited by emerging.me

I hope the zoning in conjunction with the Five Points master plan is approved rather quickly then. Even then, I seriously doubt that the design commission would let a suburban strip development come to that parcel. But, then again, there is the Food Lion strip...

I think that by declining the 5 points south building the committe showed to the public that they plan on being very strict with what they allow to be built. Maybe they are actually thankful for the $38 or so million spent on the beautification and we can trust them to only allow the finest developments in.

That Food Lion strip was a Sears, long ago. It's (the building) been there for decades (at least four).

I'm giving away my age, but I can actually remember shopping at the Sears in Five Points when I was a kid. In retrospect they should have kept that store in Five Points and just opened a second store at Columbia Mall.

An article in this week's Free Times talks about the "Future Five" plan moving along smoothly. The city presented the first draft of design guidelines this month and hosted meetings with residents of surrounding neighborhoods. The plan includes:

- A row of shops with apts or condos above on Harden, between College and Gervais St.

- Bringing new residential development along Walnut St coinciding with the cities declaration of the neighborhood (Waverly) as a historic designation.

The design guidelines are set to preserve the character of Five Points and include:

- Minimizing aesthetic differences in existing and new buildings

- Promoting pedestrian interaction

- Emphasizing safety and security

- Incorporating trees and other landscaping

- Minimizing curb cuts and driveways and the visual impact of parking and trash containers.

The article also mentions a planning of a local farmers market around the fountain on Greene. Construction on the new fountain along Saluda should start in 2 to 3 weeks and take 3 to 4 months to be completed.

An article in this week's Free Times talks about the "Future Five" plan moving along smoothly. The city presented the first draft of design guidelines this month and hosted meetings with residents of surrounding neighborhoods. The plan includes:

- A row of shops with apts or condos above on Harden, between College and Gervais St.

- Bringing new residential development along Walnut St coinciding with the cities declaration of the neighborhood (Waverly) as a historic designation.

The design guidelines are set to preserve the character of Five Points and include:

- Minimizing aesthetic differences in existing and new buildings

- Promoting pedestrian interaction

- Emphasizing safety and security

- Incorporating trees and other landscaping

- Minimizing curb cuts and driveways and the visual impact of parking and trash containers.

The article also mentions a planning of a local farmers market around the fountain on Greene. Construction on the new fountain along Saluda should start in 2 to 3 weeks and take 3 to 4 months to be completed.

I think the design restrictions sound generally good and will probably limit new development from being suburban in nature, but I hope they don't result in "blandification." Part of the charm of Five Points is that it's funky and weird and it should be kept that way.

Five Points will probably always be the preferred party destination for students just because of its proximity to campus, but as The Vista becomes more and more of an entertainment/nightlife district, I think it's possible that Five Points will lose some of the college party scene vibe and become more of an artsy, bohemian area. These elements are already there, but just not predominate.

Edited by emerging.me

I'd hate to see Five Points give off an "engineered" vibe myself. I do hope the plan would allow store owners to be creative with their storefronts and facades. As a matter of fact, it should probably encourage that to a certain extent.

Exactly!

Someone should start a "Keep Five Points Weird" campaign. :)

(Sidenote: This kind of campaign, for those that don't know, this has actually been done successfully in Austin.)

Edited by emerging.me

Exactly!

Someone should start a "Keep Five Points Weird" campaign. :)

(Sidenote: This kind of campaign, for those that don't know, this has actually been done successfully in Austin.)

I like the idea, but I'd like to be more original than "Keep Five Points Weird" and rip off Austin. I can't think of a catchy phrase right now, but I'll work on it.

I like the idea, but I'd like to be more original than "Keep Five Points Weird" and rip off Austin. I can't think of a catchy phrase right now, but I'll work on it.

I was in Austin for New Years, and I bought a shot glass that says "Keep Austin Weird". And I thought it was hysterical that so many cars there have bumper stickers that say "Keep San Antonio Lame". LOL (I know...off topic a bit)