Five Points

mr. chips

Speaking of the new building on top of kennys I wonder if a tower crane will go up. I mean its the same height as adesso so why not. Plus both do have a parking deck built into them.

Firefox, you love your tower cranes, don't you? ;)

When I win the lottery I'm going to buy you one.

Don't get me wrong, I really love that building, but I hope it is not so overdone as to bring about a newer five points, and more corporate involvement. I fear that putting up a building like that will distract all attention from the heart and soul of five points and what the area really is. It has a very unique and diverse array of merchants, including a lot of local area small businesses, that I feel could really be threatened by driving up property values. I just don't want to drive into Five Points sometime and see a sign about "The Gap" opening soon. I really enjoy the college priced activities you can find an abundance of in Five Points, and I hope it stays that way. I just don't want to see a downtown Village at Sandhill.

Don't get me wrong, I really love that building, but I hope it is not so overdone as to bring about a newer five points, and more corporate involvement. I fear that putting up a building like that will distract all attention from the heart and soul of five points and what the area really is. It has a very unique and diverse array of merchants, including a lot of local area small businesses, that I feel could really be threatened by driving up property values. I just don't want to drive into Five Points sometime and see a sign about "The Gap" opening soon. I really enjoy the college priced activities you can find an abundance of in Five Points, and I hope it stays that way. I just don't want to see a downtown Village at Sandhill.

Totally understandable, and I share the same concerns.

^And you know someone would be screaming about the height if that were to occur. I wouldn't want the building to be too tall, given its location. I'm sure they'll work around this some sort of way. It always seems as though large-scale projects in Five Points run into problems like this. I guess that's what you get for building over a swamp.

So one of the tunnels runs from Palmetto Health Baptist downtown to 5 points where it joins another tunnel. No wonder 5 points floods all the time, that's a massive area that drains into little rocky branch creek. :blink:

I hope they can work around this and fast.

• 3 weeks later...

A new structure is going up next to Locals, looks like a new bar or restaurant. It's between Locals and the College Mart facing Harden St.....anyone have an idea what this is? :dontknow:

It's going to be a deli and bar called Lucky's. It has common ownership with College Mart, so it's connected at the back. I assume the connection is for employees only. The good thing is that it's connected to Locals (though not exactly flush) and it fits in well with the rest of the strip. Another positive is that it blocks a good bit of the view of College Mart from Harden St.

Edited by Zihuatanejo

• 2 weeks later...