Columbia Transit

JT Boy

Only in the south does this even hold water. I don't know why this assumption has taken root here but it has and the only way to turn it around is better system. A great bus system will work wonders for a region. On top of that if it is integrated with rail or subway one could work, play, and live wherever you need without even owning a car. This stigma of the bus needs to stop. Actually having a successful bus route should one of the conditions of funding a rail line. I for one want most major metros to have mass transit options but it seems in America that thinking hasn't filtered down to the second and third tier cities and metros yet. Even ATL has had ridership problems with MARTA. It is high time for rail transit to come about in the US but not funding a bus system is death to a regional economy.

Good points, but I would point out that even in the DC area, which has a pretty efficient mass transit system, Metrorail is largely and wonderfully integrated, but the ridership of Metrobus is predominantly Black (at least the times I rode it). I pretty much expect the same thing in Charlotte once the light rail line is completed--integrated or either predominantly White ridership (due, in part, to expensive TOD developments) and the bus system reamining predominantly Black and Hispanic.

I don't think I'm thinking small townish. I peronally don't want to pay for it because:

a) I don't use it, and won't because it isn't at all convenient for me

b) I watch Columbia City Council and Richland County Council fumble, and screw things up, and don't want to put money into their hot little hands

c) Columbia has too much sprawl for a truly effective bus system

Should I not pay property taxes, that largely fund public schools, if I have no school-age children? I don't have any children at all, yet my recent vehicle property tax statement shows that over half of the amount I paid goes to public primary/secondary schools and York Tech--and I don't attend either. However, I recognize that the funding of our public schools is necessary for a healthy, functioning city and region. The same goes for public transportation.

And regarding sprawl, it is definitely a chicken/egg situation: yes there's much sprawl, but advanced mass transit options, like light or commuter rail, will help in the region's densifying efforts, and a bus system that's at least semi-efficient is obviously a prerequisite.

I just wish there was more cooperation coming from the city and the county on this matter. In a way, I don't blame Lexington County as the city of Columbia and Richland County, where the bulk of the ridership resides, really don't even have a game plan, much less a joint game plan. I think that if more leadership were coming from those two entities, it would persuade Lexington County officials (especially the municipalities of W. Columbia, Cayce, and Springdale) to step up to the plate.

Edited by krazeeboi

I don't think I'm thinking small townish. I peronally don't want to pay for it because:

a) I don't use it, and won't because it isn't at all convenient for me

b) I watch Columbia City Council and Richland County Council fumble, and screw things up, and don't want to put money into their hot little hands

c) Columbia has too much sprawl for a truly effective bus system

Now the bus system has done some really good moves over the past few years:

a) Dump the trolleys, except special times like f-ball games

b) Bike racks up front

c) Reducing routes with low ridership

d) New buses

e) Raise fare to a more appropriate level.

If the bus system keeps on making improvements, who knows...I could change my mnd.

The ironic thing here is that if Lexington cuts funding, the busses won't go there, and you wouldn't be able to ride the bus if/when the system improves.

The trolleys have already been cut. They were a test that was funded by a a federal grant. I wouldn't expect to see them back anytime soon.

Columbia has the most extensive bus system in the state, and the most riders of any transit system in the state. It must have funding for captial and more importantly, OPERATING COSTS! If the government payed for operating costs, the fares could be used to fund capital costs. Really all the area needs is a .5

While riding threw lexington today I notice the buses don't ride down Hwy 61 going past the T.J. Maxx and the new Home Depot there building out there. That would be a profitable ride and it could loop Down Lake Muarry Blvd or even loop threw the town of Lexington by the court house. We need a more effective bus system with benches and shelters also. Our bus stop are so plain!!!!

Should I not pay property taxes, that largely fund public schools, if I have no school-age children? I don't have any children at all, yet my recent vehicle property tax statement shows that over half of the amount I paid goes to public primary/secondary schools and York Tech--and I don't attend either. However, I recognize that the funding of our public schools is necessary for a healthy, functioning city and region. The same goes for public transportation.

And regarding sprawl, it is definitely a chicken/egg situation: yes there's much sprawl, but advanced mass transit options, like light or commuter rail, will help in the region's densifying efforts, and a bus system that's at least semi-efficient is obviously a prerequisite.

I just wish there was more cooperation coming from the city and the county on this matter. In a way, I don't blame Lexington County as the city of Columbia and Richland County, where the bulk of the ridership resides, really don't even have a game plan, much less a joint game plan. I think that if more leadership were coming from those two entities, it would persuade Lexington County officials (especially the municipalities of W. Columbia, Cayce, and Springdale) to step up to the plate.

Great points, Krazee; I get very little in return for my tax money, but having a well-educated populace is essential for getting SC out of the economic dark ages.

Good points, but I would point out that even in the DC area, which has a pretty efficient mass transit system, Metrorail is largely and wonderfully integrated, but the ridership of Metrobus is predominantly Black (at least the times I rode it).

I'd like to take exception to your comments about the composition of bus riders in DC. As a bus-rider and city resident in DC, I think it completely depends on where you are as to who you will see on the bus. If you are in a predominantly black or Hispanic part of town, that's who you will see on the bus, whereas in a mostly white area, you'll mostly see white folks on the bus. I would assume that minorities make up a larger percentage of Metrobus riders than they do of Metrorail riders.

What I think you see in DC is a city and area where transit is a major issue and if people have to ride a bus to get where they are going, they'll do it, with no stigma attached to riding a bus. But DC is a major metropolitian area with a huge urbanized core, and even someplace like Charlotte is decades away from acheiving this kind of urban mass that would really make a bus system vital and active. Columbia is even further away from that kind if density and population.

The best bus system I've ever seen is in London. Amazing number of buses and routes and they were all packed all the time.

I'd like to take exception to your comments about the composition of bus riders in DC. As a bus-rider and city resident in DC, I think it completely depends on where you are as to who you will see on the bus. If you are in a predominantly black or Hispanic part of town, that's who you will see on the bus, whereas in a mostly white area, you'll mostly see white folks on the bus. I would assume that minorities make up a larger percentage of Metrobus riders than they do of Metrorail riders.

Thanks for the correction. I've had limited experience with Metrobus, and I do believe the times I've ridden I was in predominantly Black neighborhoods. I just wish Metrorail ran 24 hours.

That's the only thing I didn't like about riding the Metro in D.C. that it wasn't 24hr. I couldn't believe the size of D.C. and it's rail system not able to be ran 24hrs. Does Atlanta Marta run 24hrs?

Not unless it's around New Years Eve with the Peach Drop and Bowl festivities occuring downtown. It shuts down at 1am and I got stranded in Midtown one time I park-and-rode the train from the Dunwoody station (I clubhopped and went to a 24hr diner to kill time). The odd thing is it opens right back up at 5am, so it's only 4 hours from round-the-clock service?...

That's the only thing I didn't like about riding the Metro in D.C. that it wasn't 24hr. I couldn't believe the size of D.C. and it's rail system not able to be ran 24hrs. Does Atlanta Marta run 24hrs?

Metro does run until 1 am every night and until 2 on the weekends. When they changed the schedule a few years ago, I think Metro was surprised at how much traffic they got in the after-midnight time period. I doubt that Metro could support 24-hour service any time in the near future.

It strikes me that so many of us advocate an excellent transit system as a necessity for our cities... for everyone else. Just out of curiosity, how many of you that live, or have lived, in Columbia have used the CMRTA bus to get around town for any reason? If so, what is your reasoning for it? If not, why not?

I lived in Columbia for several years, and I never took the bus, or the trolley, or the USC shuttle for that matter. I had a spot in the Pendleton St Garage, so my car was relatively convenient, and since I always lived on campus I never really needed the shuttle to get around. I thought about taking the trolley a few times, but never took it. I always saw some shady looking people getting on near my stop, so I generally avoided it.

I've thought about riding the bus before, but it only takes 10 minutes for me to get to work (Rosewood to downtown), and I have an assigned parking space. So riding the bus to work would be more expensive and time consuming in my case.

If my car broke down or if my license got suspended for some reason :dontknow: , then I would definitely ride the bus (I would have to). Also, gas prices of $5+ like 803 said.

Columbia should have a "ditch your car" day (or week) to promote the bus service. Informing the local public about all the routes and schedules through the newspaper, news stations, and their websites. Getting area businesses (especially large employers downtown) to participate by encouraging their employees to use the system, and waiving all bus fares (or at least lowering them) for that day. I wonder if this would work and how many people would embrace it.

I think one of the problems is that the Columbia Metro is not as densly packed as most cities with successful systems. One has to travel long distances to get to his destination, and bus rides would be overly time consuming. :blush: Imagine riding a bus from you home in the Summit all the way down town. <_< Plus you have to pick up your kids after work and stop by a store to purchase food to prepare for dinner. Most people who work downtown, currently, don't live downtown. Time and the current new developments may change this but until then maybe the auto inspections should be re-instated. I seriously hate that i cant ride with my windows and roof open without choking on someones exhaust or fumes from their car burning oil. Can anyone tell me why those were eliminated anyway? :unsure:

I think one of the problems is that the Columbia Metro is not as densly packed as most cities with successful systems. One has to travel long distances to get to his destination, and bus rides would be overly time consuming. :blush: Imagine riding a bus from you home in the Summit all the way down town. <_< Plus you have to pick up your kids after work and stop by a store to purchase food to prepare for dinner. Most people who work downtown, currently, don't live downtown. Time and the current new developments may change this but until then maybe the auto inspections should be re-instated. I seriously hate that i cant ride with my windows and roof open without choking on someones exhaust or fumes from their car burning oil. Can anyone tell me why those were eliminated anyway? :unsure:

Because they were a farce. No stations wanted to do them because they lost money, so they just drove your car in, tooted the horn, and charged you three bucks. I took my sisters car in once, they adjusted the left headlight one turn of the screw, turned it back one turn, and charged 30 bucks for a headlight adjustment. They didn't even turn the lights on. I sat in the drivers seat and watched them do it.

Eventually it got harder and harder to get an inspection done because they would insist in making an apointment, and when they heard you needed an inspection, the next opening was a month away. Not good if you need it done this month.

And the inspection never looked at oil burning, so the old systemm wouldn't have won any points for you there.

It was a happy day in SC when this program went away.

The bus would be a last resort.

I understand and I know alot of people who feel the same way you feel. I've also went to much larger cities and heard residence say the same thing. One thing I must say S.C. cities haven't yet bought into mass transit. Another thing that hurts us just as someone said our cities are less dense than most major cities. Once the infills and growth catch up the bus system will be a success.

People from all walks of life ride the bus when they are able to give up their automobile. In cities like Columbia, where this is very difficult to do, almost anyone of any means owns an automobile. In these situations where it is easy to drive to your destination, the bus will never win out and what mainly rides the bus are people who can't afford a car.