Hot Arctic

damus

we can't be responsible for anyone but ourselves. and car emissions still don't cause the same damage that deforestation does, espcially in the rain forests.

Yes, you are correct, but it does help make global warming worse though. I don't see why you guys would even like to live in a place where all you have is pollution that can make you have ashtma and what not, whether it contributes to global warming or not.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you are correct, but it does help make global warming worse though. I don't see why you guys would even like to live in a place where all you have is pollution that can make you have ashtma and what not, whether it contributes to global warming or not.

i've lived in the northeast my whole life and don't have asthma. i now live in one of the densest parts of the country and i don't find it an issue.

i do think we can rely less on cars and suburban soccer mom's don't need SUV's, but completely changing the american way of life is not going to happen... baby steps...

Actually, metro'm is right. We use more oil than any other country in the world so we are contributing to most of the pollution throughout the globe. This is why I drive a toyota prius. It may not be the coolest looking or the fastest car, but on the one saving at the gas pump, bud. Yeah there you guys go again running your mouth about "Oh, this scientific study was done too fast." Are you kidding me. This is the problem with this world. People like Bush just don't get it. How much more evidence do you guys have to see to prove that global warming is real and that both the rainforest destruction and CO2 emissions are causing it. Here is the evidence and my proof: http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/06/22...g.ap/index.html

I've always laughed at those Prius things... they look like roller skates. Either way, I'm sure you're laughing at everyone else because you're saving on gas. But to be honest, the cost of gas doesn't affect everyone the same. For instance, I have no problem writing that $400+ check to Chevron every month while someone else does. Regardless, what kind of car you drive and how much you save at the pump isn't what's in question here. What's in question here, as far as the question I have, is how I can be held responsible for the pollution throughout the world.

We Americans are so bad we're not just killing ourselves but we're killing everyone else as well. That toxic cloud looming over those bicyclists wasn't created by Americans, and while I can't speak for the rest of American, I can only say that I'll not take the blame for it.

Your "source" is the CNN article that praises the study many of we are still laughing at. You're hardly proving anything.

I don't think anyone's said that.

http://forests.org/archive/general/slowglwa.htm

I did a quick search and found this article. According to this, it appears that the rain forests soak up the carbon that we release into the air and actually grow bigger. That's only possible when the rain forests exist, though. As rain forests are burned for pasture or logged for lumber... We lose everything.

But scientists have been puzzled because levels of carbon dioxide should

be rising even faster than they have been. "When you add up all the

sources of pollution, such as fossil-fuel and forest burning, you should

actually get a lot more carbon dioxide in the air," said Yadvinder Malhi,

a British member of the research team. "Something seems to be sucking up

millions of tons of carbon dioxide each year."

"Our results suggest that over the past three decades, the living trees in

each acre of rainforest have gained over 17 tons," said Oliver Philips,

another British team member. "Each acre would have to absorb an

additional 20 tons of carbon dioxide to increase that much."

I've always laughed at those Prius things... they look like roller skates. Either way, I'm sure you're laughing at everyone else because you're saving on gas. But to be honest, the cost of gas doesn't affect everyone the same. For instance, I have no problem writing that $400+ check to Chevron every month while someone else does. Regardless, what kind of car you drive and how much you save at the pump isn't what's in question here. What's in question here, as far as the question I have, is how I can be held responsible for the pollution throughout the world.

We Americans are so bad we're not just killing ourselves but we're killing everyone else as well. That toxic cloud looming over those bicyclists wasn't created by Americans, and while I can't speak for the rest of American, I can only say that I'll not take the blame for it.

Your "source" is the CNN article that praises the study many of we are still laughing at. You're hardly proving anything.

i have no problem paying what i do for gas... i didn't pay a nice fat premium when i bought my car to get a hybrid. in fact, the average driver will not save money by buying a hybrid because of the difference in cost between a hybrid and a non-hybrid that gets 30+ mpg.

i have no problem paying what i do for gas... i didn't pay a nice fat premium when i bought my car to get a hybrid. in fact, the average driver will not save money by buying a hybrid because of the difference in cost between a hybrid and a non-hybrid that gets 30+ mpg.

I got 3,500 dollars on tax credit back and i'm getting 54 mpg currently. So in other terms my car was only 21,000 dollars. How much do those lexus's and bmw's cost? That's what I thought.

I got 3,500 dollars on tax credit back and i'm getting 54 mpg currently. So in other terms my car was only 21,000 dollars. How much do those lexus's and bmw's cost? That's what I thought.

i'll never buy a lexus or a bmw... they're a waste of money and not particularly great cars.

I hear great things about Hyundai nowadays...

How hilarious you would say that, damus, when I immediately thought to point out that I drive a Sonata. :lol:

No Lexus, no Beamer, no Mercedes, but rather a luxurious $18,000 Sonata with sweet wood trim on the dash, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter knob, v6, all the bells and whistles... cruise, cd player, power everything, 16" alloy rims, sunroof, etc. Sweet ride.

What's in question here, as far as the question I have, is how I can be held responsible for the pollution throughout the world....

I think a better question to ask is "What can I do to reduce my contribution to the world's pollution problem including emissions of greenhouse gasses?"

The nice thing about conservation is that it usually saves you money in the long run and helps everyone else.

As a citizen of the world, you shouldn't be asking how you can be held responsible for the pollution in the world. You should be asking yourself how can I reduce pollution in the world. buying a hybrid car is a good start. Curbing electricity use is another. Boycott Chinese made goods. Boycott tropical hardwoods. There are plenty of ways.

We are all stake holders in this. Its your type of "out of sight, out of mind" attitude that sets us all back.

How hilarious you would say that, damus, when I immediately thought to point out that I drive a Sonata. :lol:

No Lexus, no Beamer, no Mercedes, but rather a luxurious $18,000 Sonata with sweet wood trim on the dash, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter knob, v6, all the bells and whistles... cruise, cd player, power everything, 16" alloy rims, sunroof, etc. Sweet ride.

my car was used... $12,000. i don't see the point in buying a new car and losing $3000 by driving it off the lot.

As a citizen of the world, you shouldn't be asking how you can be held responsible for the pollution in the world. You should be asking yourself how can I reduce pollution in the world. buying a hybrid car is a good start. Curbing electricity use is another. Boycott Chinese made goods. Boycott tropical hardwoods. There are plenty of ways.

We are all stake holders in this. Its your type of "out of sight, out of mind" attitude that sets us all back.

driving a hybrid costs more money than driving a regular small car. the money you save in gas generally doesn't reach the difference in cost for quite some time unless you do a whole lot of driving.

until green technology is affordable, i will be unable to support it. i think that's what a lot of people who jump on the environmentalism bandwagon fail to miss... most people can't afford the costs of using cleaner technology (like hybrid cars for example). even energy star products are more expensive than the non-energy star counterparts.

Curbing electricity use? Sorry, but I don't plan on living like the Amish. I'm pretty fond of my television, my air conditioning, my lights, and this here new-fangled computing contraption.

And how do you propose we boycott Chinese-made goods? I don't plan on checking the packaging on every single item just to make sure it wasn't made in China. I don't care what country or what sweatshop it was made in as long as it's cheap.

That is the Smart built by Mercedes-Benz. It is not logo'd as a Mercedes however. Your timing is good as Diamler announced just today they are going to import it into the USA. It is a very safe very small car that would serve people well as a second car in a city. The diesel model approaches something like 75mpg but Americans will have to settle for a gas version for now that gets about 50 mpg. (still very impressive)

I'd be deathly afraid of a hitting a bug and totalling my car if I drove one of those little skates.

i agree... get in an accident with one of those and you're almost as good as dead.

i also don't trust anything made by chrysler anymore... which is mercedes (which have gone significantly downhill since chrysler took over).

i agree... get in an accident with one of those and you're almost as good as dead.

i also don't trust anything made by chrysler anymore... which is mercedes (which have gone significantly downhill since chrysler took over).

You have ruled out Lexus, BMW, Chrysler and Mercedes. What is a good car in your opinion?

Archived