New acquisition by Belk

Belk at Durham's Streets at SouthPoint Mall is just like Parisian

So, what do they think they will be getting in Birmingham in Atlanta?

Belks-South-Pointe-Mall-01.jpg

Belks-South-Pointe-Mall-02.jpg

Take a read of this article:

Askin' for a little respect

Samantha Thompson Smith, Staff Writer

The News & Observer

All we ask, Macy's, is that you don't break our hearts.

We can't take it from another department store chain, you see. We've been through enough already.

It's not that we haven't been welcoming. For almost two decades, we've opened our arms and hearts to new department store chains to the Triangle -- chains that promised us the best, but often didn't actually deliver.

You see, after Hecht's took over Thalhimers in the early 1990s, it opened its new Crabtree Valley Mall store. We were promised an "A" store -- packed with brands that weren't already in the market and were considered high-end, designer, contemporary. In the end, we got Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Liz Claiborne and Nautica. Nice stuff, but most of it wasn't exclusive or different. In fact, it was a lot like what we already had at Belk.

It got more painful than that. Who could forget the slow, painful death of Lord & Taylor at Crabtree? It, too, was promised to be an "A" store when it opened in 1995 packed with many of the same merchandise -- such as Tahari and Oleg Cassini -- as at Lord & Taylor stores in bigger markets.

By the time it closed in late February, it was a messy outlet type of store full of two-seasons-old clothes from other defunct Lord & Taylor stores.

We're still not sure how our relationship is going with Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue. However, there are some signs the stores aren't giving us the best they have to offer.

Take the Nordstorm at Durham's The Streets at Southpoint. And then look at the 16-page Nordstrom ad in the September Vogue magazine. The ad is packed with brands that aren't in the store: Chloe shoes, Zac Posen handbags, Proenza Schouler coats. At least we can get them online at www.nordstrom.com.

Then there's that little issue about the Charlotte Nordstrom at SouthPark mall, which carries contemporary designs by Tracy Reese, Chaiken, D&G and Milly.

And the Saks Fifth Avenue at Triangle Town Center still doesn't have some of the luxury brands, such as Gucci and Prada, we've been hoping for since it opened two years ago.

Of course, there hasn't always been disappointment. When Dillard's bought Ivey's in the early 1990s, Dillard's didn't make promises. The only real worry was that Dillard's wouldn't have sales as good as Ivey's used to. Today, Dillard's continues to improve its brand mix, including the addition of Kors by Michael Kors, Kenzie, BCBG Girls and David Meister, brands that help it stand out a bit from other department stores.

And who could forget the department store chain that raised us: Charlotte-based Belk. If anything, the chain has only gotten better. The Belk at Crabtree is among the only retailers in the state selling women's apparel by contemporary designer Marc Jacobs. It's also stocked with a collection of BCBG Max Azria, Elie Tahari and Theory separates and Betsey Johnson and Vera Wang dresses -- brands that used to only be found at specialty stores.

We'll give you a chance, Macy's. All we ask is that you do the same for us.

Link to fulle article:

http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/482439.html

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belk at Durham's Streets at SouthPoint Mall is just like Parisian

So, what do they think they will be getting in Birmingham in Atlanta?

They think Belk's going to ruin their precious Parisian.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never heard of a Parisian carrying Marc Jacobs, BCBG Max Azria, Elie Tahari, Theory, Betsey Johnson or Vera Wang.

Sounds to me like Belk's going to make the stores better if they get a chance. :whistling:

They think Belk's going to ruin their precious Parisian.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never heard of a Parisian carrying Marc Jacobs, BCBG Max Azria, Elie Tahari, Theory, Betsey Johnson or Vera Wang.

Sounds to me like Belk's going to make the stores better if they get a chance. :whistling:

StevenRocks- as always, you make very good points. Belk does have some very good brands that Parisian doesn't, and has plenty of good high-end brands.

Parisian has Tahari, and has had it for a long time. Same with BCBG. Those are mostly women's brands so I'm not particularly familiar with them (other than BCBG- great shirts and ties!) but look at saksincorporated.com's press releases, which describe Parisian's brands, and some pretty high-end names are included. Seven for All Humanity, True Religion, etc.- good stuff at Parisian!

If only Belk would carry Taylor Byrd, Alex Cannon, Joseph Abboud, etc., which stock Parisian's shelves! Seems as if only Lord & Taylor and Nordstrom also do, although I could be wrong.

LOL Somebody go to the deep south threads and post pics of our area stores to show them what Belk can be. On a side note I kinda wish they'd redo the outside of Hudson Belk at Crabtree, it appears kinda dated but I do love the columns, if only the store could be updated and still incorporate them in a refurbished sort of way.

Are there any A or B Belk stores in the Alabama and Georgia market or are they literally all C stores? If so how are the A and B stores doing?

Nope. All the stores in Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia are lower B and C stores. Most of them sell stuff that you would see in a typical Ross Dress for Less and TJ Maxx. Most are so poor in selection, that I've heard many people say they would rather shop for clothes at Kohl's and Marshalls before they step foot in a Belk.

Parisian has Tahari, and has had it for a long time. Same with BCBG. Those are mostly women's brands so I'm not particularly familiar with them (other than BCBG- great shirts and ties!) but look at saksincorporated.com's press releases, which describe Parisian's brands, and some pretty high-end names are included. Seven for All Humanity, True Religion, etc.- good stuff at Parisian!

If only Belk would carry Taylor Byrd, Alex Cannon, Joseph Abboud, etc., which stock Parisian's shelves! Seems as if only Lord & Taylor and Nordstrom also do, although I could be wrong.

Yeah, the Parisian at The Summit, Riverchase Galleria, and Phipps Plaza stores does sell nearly all those lines.

Don't know how it's rated, but the closest to an A (or B?) store in Alabama would be Riverchase Galleria. They carry Marc Jacobs, Dooney & Bourke, they have a Lauren area/section.

In Bridal (Guild) they have a great Arthur Court selection (including pricier items not carried other places), Kate Spade, Waterford, etc. I've heard rumors Belk is already looking to bring in some more designer names to home, too.

that has been their plan for some time. i think they began to experiment in the flagship stores, with the likes of kate spade, bcbg, boss, and other top designers. with the growing popularity of these items, they have begun to expand them into their mainstream stores like at Four Seasons, Hanes, Southpoint, NorthLake, and the new stores coming from the Parisian purchase. they want to make all Belk stores resemble the ones in Southpark, though keeping Souhtpark the one above all other stores, and the one at Southpoint, which will probably be the main design. they are growing up and fixing the perception of the company.

Belk has carried Joseph Abboud clothing, furnishings and sportswear at SouthPark, Carolina Place, Hanes Mall, Friendly Center and Crabtree Valley. It wasn't a very strong seller, so all of those stores eliminated the sportswear except SouthPark, though I'm certain you can find the clothing and furnishings in at least one or two of those stores, especially SouthPark and Crabtree Valley.

I've only seen Alex Cannon at May Company stores, so exclusivity contracts may have prevented Belk from getting it.

On a side note I kinda wish they'd redo the outside of Hudson Belk at Crabtree, it appears kinda dated but I do love the columns, if only the store could be updated and still incorporate them in a refurbished sort of way.
Hudson Belk at Crabtree used to be quite elegant on the outside in the original 1972 configuration, but when they took down the chandeliers and modenized the landscaping, it killed the store's looks. It's in dire need of a makeover inside and out, but Belk is notorious for spending the bare minimum on renovations on that store.

Nope. All the stores in Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia are lower B and C stores. Most of them sell stuff that you would see in a typical Ross Dress for Less and TJ Maxx. Most are so poor in selection, that I've heard many people say they would rather shop for clothes at Kohl's and Marshalls before they step foot in a Belk.
Ross, and Marshalls for that matter, carry just about all the popular status brands that people buy, though they carry them in a closeout format. Obviously a small town Belk store would not carry the breadth of selection that a mall strore would carry, based on more conservative tastes and less conducive demographics.

Interesting points- say brand W is available at stores X and Y, and then store Z buys store X. Does store Z generally thus get or have to keep buying brand W, or does store Y get to block store Z from buying the brand? Are these types of contracts like the dreaded lease that Bayer and Belk are fighting about, with consent clauses? Alex Cannon is available at some of my favorite stores and it'd be great if Belk carried it.

Thanks for the tip about Tailor Byrd- one of my favorite brands and I never realized Belk carried it.

Interesting points- say brand W is available at stores X and Y, and then store Z buys store X. Does store Z generally thus get or have to keep buying brand W, or does store Y get to block store Z from buying the brand? Are these types of contracts like the dreaded lease that Bayer and Belk are fighting about, with consent clauses? Alex Cannon is available at some of my favorite stores and it'd be great if Belk carried it.

Thanks for the tip about Tailor Byrd- one of my favorite brands and I never realized Belk carried it.

In a word, yes, they keep the labels. The only reason that store Z woudn't carry the brands is if the brands themselves pull out, like many of Marshall Field & Co's couture labels did when Macy's took control of the State Street store in Chicago, but that is a highly unusual situation. Vendors rarely pull consent clauses if the store transitions to a similar format.

With this transition, it's unlikely Taylor Byrd et al would pull out of Belk. In fact, you'll probably start seeing it in more Belk stores.

• 2 weeks later...

What regional department store nameplates are still around in the southeast anyway? All I can think of right now are Belk/Hudson Belk and Boscov's but there has to be more....Also how much longer do you think Belk will allow the Hudson name to appear on it's Triangle area stores, especially considering the fact that all the other hyphenated names were recently removed?

The national stores popping into my mind are:

Macy's

Dillards

JCPenney

Sears

Nordstrom

Saks 5th Avenue

Neiman Marcus

I want to type in Hechts so bad as a regional store which must mean I'm not used to them not being around anymore lol.

[H]ow much longer do you think Belk will allow the Hudson name to appear on it's Triangle area stores, especially considering the fact that all the other hyphenated names were recently removed?
That's a good question. Considering that the Hudsons own a small but important piece of Belk Inc., it's going to be a part of the Triangle stores' names as long as they have influence. Same with the Matthews family, which still has its names on some Belks because they own a decent amount of Belk.

define "first class"....

I have frequented both Belk's and Parisians and consider both comprable in terms of the target demographic as well as price. I think the lawsuit is silly and will be shot down easily in court. I used to live around Mountain Brook (specifically Cahaba Heights) and for people to even try and say that the Summit is "too high up the chain" for Belk's is laughable.

Sumit is nice, but it certainly is not "all that". We are not talking about 5th Ave in NYC. The Summit is a stucco cladded strip center stuck up on a hill in Birmingham with a few decent retailers surrounded by some upper class peeps.

If I were Belk's I would countersue for discrimination of being labled anything less than "first class" lol :P

A2

define "first class"....

I have frequented both Belk's and Parisians and consider both comprable in terms of the target demographic as well as price. I think the lawsuit is silly and will be shot down easily in court. I used to live around Mountain Brook (specifically Cahaba Heights) and for people to even try and say that the Summit is "too high up the chain" for Belk's is laughable.

Sumit is nice, but it certainly is not "all that". We are not talking about 5th Ave in NYC. The Summit is a stucco cladded strip center stuck up on a hill in Birmingham with a few decent retailers surrounded by some upper class peeps.

If I were Belk's I would countersue for discrimination of being labled anything less than "first class" lol :P

A2

They're gettin a lot of new high end retailers. They've been holding off on leasing space so that they can get the good stores. Lately, they've been really, oddly, picky. They won't let anyone lease who isn't "good enough." I think the problem with Summit, more lies in pride. They're rather have their Birmingham based store than an out of towner.

They're gettin a lot of new high end retailers. They've been holding off on leasing space so that they can get the good stores. Lately, they've been really, oddly, picky. They won't let anyone lease who isn't "good enough." I think the problem with Summit, more lies in pride. They're rather have their Birmingham based store than an out of towner.

While I can appreciate that, I still think it is nuts to consider a suit simply based on the fact that the owner (Bayer) sees Belk's as second rate. I am not knocking The Summit as much as I am the owner. This guy thinks that his little piece of retail on a hill is something to sue over. I just find it hard to justify the guys arguments.

To be real honest, I would take offense if I were a reputable retailer such as Belk's and I was being labled as second rate by some so called Retail King in Birmingham.

While I used to live VERY close to the Summit in B'ham many years ago, I now live 1/2 mile away from the front door of one of the most incredible four story Belk's in the SE. I have shoped there and find it every bit as impressve as Parisians. It is one of the many stores that circles the Southpark Mall in Charlotte. I figure if SP can entertain retailers like Nordstroms and Neiman Marcus, and still consider Belk's a flagship store than the owner of the Summit really needs to consider what he throws around in the public arena.

A2

While I can appreciate that, I still think it is nuts to consider a suit simply based on the fact that the owner (Bayer) sees Belk's as second rate. I am not knocking The Summit as much as I am the owner. This guy thinks that his little piece of retail on a hill is something to sue over. I just find it hard to justify the guys arguments.

To be real honest, I would take offense if I were a reputable retailer such as Belk's and I was being labled as second rate by some so called Retail King in Birmingham.

While I used to live VERY close to the Summit in B'ham many years ago, I now live 1/2 miles away from the front door of one of the most incrdible 4 story Belk's in the SE. I have shoped there and find it every bit as impressve as Parisians.

A2

From what I've heard, that Belk is supposed to be really really nice. IMO, I can't tell a difference in a regular Parisian and Belk. Parisian opened up their first store in Decatur. But, they've moved from their old location. I think the reason why people think Parisian is more "upscale" is because of the way they stores look. I've been in a few Belk stores and they just don't LOOK as nice. Though, they do virtually sell the same exact things. I think it's stupid that Summit is suing, it's quite senseless. Of course, we can't forget that this suing is in the wake of an announced expansion of The Summit.

From what I've heard, that Belk is supposed to be really really nice. IMO, I can't tell a difference in a regular Parisian and Belk. Parisian opened up their first store in Decatur. But, they've moved from their old location. I think the reason why people think Parisian is more "upscale" is because of the way they stores look. I've been in a few Belk stores and they just don't LOOK as nice. Though, they do virtually sell the same exact things. I think it's stupid that Summit is suing, it's quite senseless. Of course, we can't forget that this suing is in the wake of an announced expansion of The Summit.

I think that the expansion is the whole reason behind the suit, but it just erks me that the owner has suggested the suit based on the premises of Belk's not living up to "First Class".

It's Nuts I tell ya :wacko: ....

BTW, sorry bout Bama :(

I am a graduate of the University and HUGE fan, but these last couple of weeks have been torture.

A2

Archived