Jackson Off-Topic Discussion

tombarnes

Please note that in accordance with the topic guidelines at UP, I have changed this thread into a general off-topic thread for Jackson. Anything political should be posted here.

I will post regarding the current drama regarding Police Chief Shirlene Anderson when the outcome of said fiasco becomes clearer. At this point, it's another Melton Mess. More later.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumors Abound

Word is out that Police Chief Shirlene Anderson has been fired. I hesitate to post this because there was word to this effect last week, but this may possibly have more credibility. I worry that Mr. Melton may insert one or more of his minions in her place. This cannot be a good thing for the city of Jackson. For an idea of what may be happening, take a look at the thread in the Jackson Free Press.

On Friday, Mayor Melton named Hinds County Sheriff, Malcom McMillian, as Cheif of police for JPD. He will not resign from his post as Hnds County Sheriff. With all the bad publicity the police dpartment has been recieving, this might be a step in the right direction.

The Clarion Ledger

I think McMillan is a good choice for the job. It does rasie questions about the future, however. Perhaps the spectre of Melton and McMillan dueling it out is not as bad for Jackson as I think it could be. Maybe, just maybe, old Frank will develop a sense of humility. I still see fireworks on the horizon.

• 1 month later...

Holy cow I read this thread and I'm amazed at Mayor Melton's ability to have stayed in power for two years with all the strife, division, and court proceedings he has incurred in such a short condensed period of time.

Is there anyone gearing up to take him on come the next mayoral election? He would seem ripe for a landslide ouster unless he maintains some political base within the city that is willing to put up with his antics no matter what their consequences for the city.

It would appear that no one has yet to announce their candidacy for the position. I assume that he still enjoys support within elements of the established power structure in Jackson. Having assumed this, however, I would still agree that Mr. Melton could easily be defeated by the right candidate. Amazing as it seems, Mr. Melton still has his vociferous supporters within Jackson. I might venture that their number is dwindling as his antics grow stranger and stranger with each passing day. I'll find a thread for you which is particularly illustrative of the tactics he's using. It's truly alarming. This is but a small instance of what he's capable of doing....

The Jackson Free Press

Wow. That article reaks of political intimidation on the part of the mayor and his associates. If the councilwoman's claims, or similar claims, could be substantiated it definitely sounds like the state or feds might come in and take a look around at how his administration is operating. It will be interesting to see if he can manage to stay in office long enough to face re-election at the rate he is going.

Archived