Low income housing

wellen

Leasing has started at Rocky Creek Apartments on Woodruff Rd right next to the Paddock Club apartments. There have to be several hundred units there and it is all low income housing. Does anyone have any more info on this? Any thoughts on what may result from this? Do you think low income households will migrate from the city center out to the 'burbs?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leasing has started at Rocky Creek Apartments on Woodruff Rd right next to the Paddock Club apartments. There have to be several hundred units there and it is all low income housing. Does anyone have any more info on this? Any thoughts on what may result from this? Do you think low income households will migrate from the city center out to the 'burbs?

Unfortunately this is all the info you will need, The apartments will be destroyed in less than 3 years, property values will drop in the nearby area, and last but not least crime will shoot through the roof. Now please dont jump on me and say im some kind of people basher, but I deal with low income housing all the time and I have yet to see anything good come out of it. I realize that some people need the assistance and I am all for it, but neices, nephew, cousins move in and then the crime starts.

When I lived in Orlando, there were subsidized apartment complexes popping up all over the place (usually near where I needed to live). These buildings were huge and the units were extremely nice, even compared to most luxury apartment complexes. The trouble was, even when a poor struggling grad students, my roommate and I still made too much money to qualify to live there. We seriously entertained the idea of getting part-time jobs at McDonald's just to put something on an application that qualified us to live in such nice digs, but we were too honest to do so.

I'm not sure what kind of folks these places would attract here, but in Orlando, they were primarily focused on college students and the lower income service industry working class, of which there is PLENTY.

Yea, I believe so, but on the other side of the road...between Bagwell/Butler Roads and Port City Java if I am not mistaken.

CLICK HERE.

You are correct, sir.

The property value question is interesting. Right next door to these apartments are the Paddock Club apartments, which are pretty expensive for what they offer. Will the rent there need to start coming down to attract new tenants (thus, lowering its value)?

Also, Rocky Creek Apts is adjacent to several lots in Claremont. This is a new gated community where the lots are starting at $80K. I wonder how sales are going?

Unfortunately this is all the info you will need, The apartments will be destroyed in less than 3 years, property values will drop in the nearby area, and last but not least crime will shoot through the roof. Now please dont jump on me and say im some kind of people basher, but I deal with low income housing all the time and I have yet to see anything good come out of it. I realize that some people need the assistance and I am all for it, but neices, nephew, cousins move in and then the crime starts.

Actually, the location of Rocky Creek Apartments is probably a good location for low-income housing. It seems to me as though everyone wants to put low-income housing in some corner where no one can see it. That is self-defeating. There is a direct relationship between visibility and crime rates, that relationship is stronger than the one between low income and crime rates. These apartments are visible, so crime will not dominate.

I think the biggest criticism of suburbia is the lack of economic diversity. Even though our suburbs are comparatively small, suburban stores largely employ people who can't afford to actually live near their place of work. Developments like Rocky Creek bring economic diversity that the suburbs desperately need.

I'd even go so far as to say that the folks who end up living at Rocky Creek and working at the nearby retail establishments will be far less of an economic burden than your typical suburban citizen. (Less gas consumption, less infrastructure maintenace, less police protection).

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the location of Rocky Creek Apartments is probably a good location for low-income housing. It seems to me as though everyone wants to put low-income housing in some corner where no one can see it. That is self-defeating. There is a direct relationship between visibility and crime rates, that relationship is stronger than the one between low income and crime rates. These apartments are visible, so crime will not dominate.

I think the biggest criticism of suburbia is the lack of economic diversity. Even though our suburbs are comparatively small, suburban stores largely employ people who can't afford to actually live near their place of work. Developments like Rocky Creek bring economic diversity that the suburbs desperately need.

I'd even go so far as to say that the folks who end up living at Rocky Creek and working at the nearby retail establishments will be far less of an economic burden than your typical suburban citizen. (Less gas consumption, less infrastructure maintenace, less police protection).

Good points!

I just realized last night, which apartments are being refered to here. Was with a friend driving down Woodruff and the conversation came up about them. I must say, for subsidized housing, they did a very nice job. Good landscaping and the apartments look as nice or nicer than any other development.

The property value question is interesting. Right next door to these apartments are the Paddock Club apartments, which are pretty expensive for what they offer. Will the rent there need to start coming down to attract new tenants (thus, lowering its value)?

If they do it right, offering some concessions would actually increase it's value. Getting a property full at lower rents brings in a lot more money than 80% occupied at higher rents. Plus, if the other property is truly subsidized, it won't compete with the Paddock Club based on the fact that people have to qualify for low income housing.

Archived