What kind of time frame might it take for most of Uptown's surface parking lots to be developed?

Charlotteman

We all know developments are in the works for many of Uptown's surface parking lots. But there will still be a lot left. Surface lots are the worst use for Uptown land, I'm sure we would agree. How long might it take until there are only a few left? Decades?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will take much longer. A lot of those lots are owned by rich investors who are waiting for someone who wants to build a 50-story building. And since those are infrequent events, we'll have surface lots landbanked for a long time to come.

50% of them should be eliminated by 2015. Second Ward is getting ready to take off with the NASCAR HofF and the Third wards lots will be totally developed with a Park, Baseball, and condos. This wll leave Levine's property. I think his will be the last to be FULLY developed, but he is already starting with the Twelve Hotel by Novare. It will take a lot less time than people think. Even in a bad economy we should manage to fill 277 in by 2020.

Most of the in-fill with be with more low and mid-rise projects like Quarterside, Renwick, and the Trinity Partners development of the Polk bldg. It will be the develoment in the "wedges" that wll create the great walkability of Uptown IMO. I like that personally, and would rather it be thay way than just being all skyskrapers.

A2

One surface parking lot I've always been curious about is the one between ATT&T and the blue-domed transportation center. It appears to be an entire block (?) and I've always wondered who owns it, or if anyone has ever discussed it's development.

I believe half of that lot is owned by Norfolk-Southern, and the other half by North Carolina Railroad? This lot may have been where the old Southern station in Charlotte used to be, though I'm not sure. From the pictures I've seen, the old station looked very similar to the stations in Durham (also demolshed) and Salisbury (still standing).

It looks like CCP did a study on parking numbers, to address the concern with the loss of parking capacity.

There are 10000 surface parking spaces now, and pipeline projects should reduce that number to 3600 by 2009. That means 64% of surface lots will be gone within 3 years. I think that lends credence to my prediction that 85% will be gone by 2013. It is very encouraging.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../22/focus5.html

Archived