Favorite Capital City Skyline Part II

TBurban

Capital Cities  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your favorite capital city skyline?

• Montgomery
    • Little Rock
    • Tallahassee
    • Baton Rouge
    • Frankfort
    • Jackson
    • Raleigh
    • Oklahoma City
    • Columbia
    • Nashville
    • Austin
    • Richmond

I just read over all of the replies and I think I understand why some of you who haven't visited Columbia don't quite get why it's a forerunner for beautiful skylines. Yes, we are spread out horizontally and, yes, our buildings don't look very tall or impressive to the outsider. But the pictures simply do not do the skyline justice. We have some very impressive architecture that some of the pictures taken from a great distance do not capture. Also, Columbia's skyline changes drastically according to view (as do those of most cities). If you drive into town on I-126, the skyline looks IMMENSELY dense and intimidating. While introducing a friend from Baltimore and a friend from Atlanta to Columbia (both on separate ocassions), I made sure to bring them in on this route. Needless to say (at least for those who know what I'm talking about), both boys' jaws DROPPED. They talked endless smack about Columbia being "small" or "podunk" until I showed them my favorite view, and then they had nothing but respect for the city.

Also, a key element that you can't garner from the pictures is our hilly landscape. The tallest building in South Carolina, the Capitol Centre, appears to be quite short in many pictures. My friends from California mock the fact that it's our tallest, but they have not seen it in person. It appears to be so short in several photos because it's in a slight depression. Or perhaps much of the rest of the city is elevated. Either way, the elevation changes rapidly enough within several blocks to obscure the true beauty and magnificence of Columbia. You gotta see it to believe it; I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

And, finally, since most of the Cola pics were posted long enough ago that I can no longer view them and thus, don't know what's been shown, here is a picture from Wikipedia. Again, this is not the best angle and it doesn't do Columbia full justice, but it's still pretty. It is interesting to note that at least one new tower has been built since this picture was taken, although it's certainly not one of the tallest. This picture does not include the Bank of America tower, either, since it's too far away on the horizontal plane for this photo.

Columbiaskylinebanner.jpg

In this picture, the Capitol Centre (tower on the far right) looks shorter than some of the other buildings, just like I said:

Colaskyline.jpg

View from the Gervais Street Bridge:

columbia-gervais-bridge-large.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is obviously a great deal of boosting going on in here. bpoulos is not an ATL booster he is simply stating the truth.

Take it as that.

One tower will not make Nashville bigger than Atlanta or Houston or any other major metro. It will take population growth.

You guys are being too sensitive imo. <_<

I also agree with Memphis 10....Little Rock is a sweet capital city.

Archived