NCB

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally! ;)

Soak it all in, Dan! If you have an questions about any locations in the city, or any other cool places to go, please ask!

My reccomendations:(for a short day trip, at least)

Walk around the CBD (French Quarter, Downtown, the Warehouse District)

Walk along the Mississippi River

Ride the Canal or Riverfront streetcar (the famous Saint Charles Ave. line is still out of commission)

See the Superdome in person, just to get an idea of what the largest solid enclosed stadium in the world looks like up close

Spend some time in Jackson Square and throughout the rest of the Quarter

Cafe Du Monde of course, you can't come to New Orleans without getting beignets

Check out the Garden District Uptown, just to get a view of one of America's most famous and desired neighborhoods

and of course...

Get plenty of good New Orleans food!

Finally! ;)

Soak it all in, Dan! If you have an questions about any locations in the city, or any other cool places to go, please ask!

My reccomendations:(for a short day trip, at least)

Walk around the CBD (French Quarter, Downtown, the Warehouse District)

Walk along the Mississippi River

Ride the Canal or Riverfront streetcar (the famous Saint Charles Ave. line is still out of commission)

See the Superdome in person, just to get an idea of what the largest solid enclosed stadium in the world looks like up close

Spend some time in Jackson Square and throughout the rest of the Quarter

Cafe Du Monde of course, you can't come to New Orleans without getting beignets

Check out the Garden District Uptown, just to get a view of one of America's most famous and desired neighborhoods

and of course...

Get plenty of good New Orleans food!

I don't konw if I'll get to see all that. I think my mom's just going to a fabric store in Metairie, as that's were she went the last time we went to "New Orleans". But I will defiently try to get her to take at least a short tour. If not I'll print out your list of suggestions and tuck it away for when I can finally visit New Orleans by myself, which might not be a relatively long time away(1 or 2 years).

Are New Orleans and Baton Rouge the only cities with Garden Districts or at least with notable ones? I was just wandering because I looked it up on Wikipedia and all it had was New Orleans and Baton Rouge and I guess that doesn't neccessarily mean those are the only ones, but I figured they would at least have the bigs ones and a general defintion for all the rest.

Edited by dan326

I don't konw if I'll get to see all that. I think my mom's just going to a fabric store in Metairie, as that's were she went the last time we went to "New Orleans". But I will defiently try to get her to take at least a short tour. If not I'll print out your list of suggestions and tuck it away for when I can finally visit New Orleans by myself, which might not be a relatively long time away(1 or 2 years).

Are New Orleans and Baton Rouge the only cities with Garden Districts or at least with notable ones? I was just wandering because I looked it up on Wikipedia and all it had was New Orleans and Baton Rouge and I guess that doesn't neccessarily mean those are the only ones, but I figured they would at least have the bigs ones and a general defintion for all the rest.

Monroe has a nice Garden District area down near its riverfront. Worth checking out if you're ever in that area. I didn't even know Baton Rouge had one, but of course everyone knows about the one in New Orleans!

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Monroe has a nice Garden District area down near its riverfront. Worth checking out if you're ever in that area. I didn't even know Baton Rouge had one, but of course everyone knows about the one in New Orleans!

Yep, there's even a little tile sign that says "Garden District" with a magnolia on it.

Fall is on its way! 71 is the high today and man, it feels great! How about you guys? Getting cooler down there?

Yeah TUrban we got a little sneak Fall preview ! Lows this morning were 58 and the high was about 85, but the humidity was only 35%! But Summer returns by Friday, and so does the rain too.

^Have fun Dan on your visit to New Orleans. Nate gave you a nice to-do-list!

Edited by richyb83

Well guys, I'll be gone most of tomorrow and Saturday as I'll be up in Baton Rouge for the LSU homecoming game vs Tulane. I've decided to be "neutral" in this game. I grew up around Tulane, and I'm there now, but I could never root against LSU, no matter who they're playing. :D

Anyway, I'm hoping to bring my camera at least on campus for gameday, so hopefully I'll have some pictures to share with you guys when I get back! :thumbsup:

^Me too. I'll be looking forward to the pics too. Have fun in BR Nate. ^Hope the weather cooperates for us; I'll be at the game too.

And I apologize to yall that I live in BR and have not taken any pics around LSU's campus. I posted a constuction pic a few months back of a 6-story condo just off campus. I have a pic of Tiger Sadium and the Assembly Center from a distance; but I never posted bec. I did not like my shot. And I never thought about actually taking pics in Tiger Stadium. My cell phone doesn't take pics.

My wife and I may be heading over to Ft. Worth this weekend. I'd like to make it up to Frisco as well, but don't know if we'll have time since we're not spending the night over there.

I'm looking forward to it. I love visiting DFW. Anyway, I'm planning on taking tons of photos... I hope that works out in my favor.

Yea Brian, I hope you guys have a great time! And I look forward to those pictures as well. I love the area around Fort Worth; the landscape, culture, people, everything. I have extended family in Chico and Bridgeport, Texas, which are both about an hour away from Fort Worth, however it's been a long, long time since I've been up there.

I've got tons of Ft. Worth pictures already, many of which I still need to post sometime. This weekend it's looking like it'll be less of an 'urban' photo tour but more of a nature tour. Looks like I'll be hitting the zoo and doing some other things non-urban. And if I know me, I'll fill up my memory card at the zoo and have no photos left for anywhere else. If you look at my Flickr account, it seems I've stopped urban photography altogether. That's not the case, though I have slowed down a lot. Once I get my new gun I'll probably feel a bit better about taking the urban photos I want to take.

Its funny that you talk about Texas because I was about to post sometihng about them. As you might remember I went to Dallas a while back and on the way I picked up some postcards. So I figured it might be interesting to post some of them and tell my Dallas cronicles.

Well first I started out in good old Baton Rouge. That aritcle about Raliegh complains about the B.R. Airport entrance, but we have much cleaner, nicer bathrooms than some other airports.

scan0008dt5.jpg

On we went to Memphis.The airport was very crowed and very big. Kind of hard to navigate also.

scan0005rv7.jpg

Then finally to Dallas. We had to wait about 40 minutes because the shuttle driver didn't want to leave until the shuttle was full, but undestandilbly so, as that was a long ride. I knew we were in Dallas though when I saw that big builidng outlined in green neon lighting.

scan0007ld2.jpg

But the best part was the hotel. It was awesome, especially riding up and down the 18-story atrium on the elevator, which I probably did about 20 times. :P I got this one from inside the hotel's convience store. At 50 cents, it was the cheapest thing you could buy in there.

scan0004by0.jpg

Then off to Houston. I had to sneak away to get this one. I was a bit indesicive about which postcard to get,but got back just in time. I had told my grandmother I was going to the bathroom and aparantly I was gone to long as she had flone into a panic about to send someone in the bathroom looking for me. When I was in the airport I also saw Houston's 3 and 4 skylines. I think we flew over one,but the plane was tiltled so I couldn't see well.

scan0009sp4.jpg

Then finally back home to Louisiana. On the way I saw Tiger Stadium, but I couldn't see downtown because I was on the right side of the plane. It seemed like we were about to crash as the plane was only about 30/40 feet over the rode and 10-15 feet over the gate.

scan0010va5.jpg

Edited by dan326