Lagniappe

NCB

Interesting flavors. That actually sounds really good.

:D

From what I can tell the reason why it's so expensive is because it's a self imposed limited release and they probably aged it in barrels for about a year or so.

I tell you, the beers that I like are acquired taste. I'm convinced it's something you're born with or you're not. Of course you have to try them to see, but once you do and you find that you do enjoy them you'll never go back to beers like Budweiser again, unless someone pays for it.

I'm obssessed with beer like Bubba is with shrimp (according to my mom).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That IS ridiculous. And at $30 million per unit, it wouldn't be worth it to me. It looks like it's being held up by two toothpicks... no thanks!!

10,336 sq ft for $30 million in Manhatten? Sounds about right. Considering people pay about $100,000 for every 100 sq ft and that's not including the neighborhood or the luxury items inside.

10,336 sq ft for $30 million in Manhatten? Sounds about right. Considering people pay about $100,000 for every 100 sq ft and that's not including the neighborhood or the luxury items inside.

My beef was with the building itself. The price DOES sound good for what it is, but (1) I think it's a hideous design and (2) it looks like the units are sandwiched between toothpicks.

That IS ridiculous. And at $30 million per unit, it wouldn't be worth it to me. It looks like it's being held up by two toothpicks... no thanks!!

Ive heard of that building! Harbor View or Harbor Pointe, something like that. It is crazy to pay that much, but hey, its New York :rolleyes:

Without commenting on the actual residencies or prices themselves, I will say that I'm very happy that building isn't being built in New Orleans. Seriously, it's just 12 box's stacked diagonally on top of each other between two giant sticks. :sick: Luckily since it's in NYC and there are so many other giant buildings around, you may not notice it as much from certain angles. But if that thing was being built in a city like New Orleans, Nashville, Charlotte, whatever, it would just ruin everything, IMO.

Great New Orleans video :thumbsup:

Folks, in many way's, this is New Orleans the way it should be seen:

http://65.56.1.67/stream/notmc/jazzinheaven.wmv

That video was used as a tourism video that was split up into different parts and broadcast around the country in 2004 and 2005, and it's one of the few that I actually liked, even if there are some cheesy moments. ;)

^ That was nice. But some movie someone posted a while ago didn't do New Orleans any good. I think it was called New Orleans Exsposed. I wouldn't want to be exposed for that. It was all the bad stereotypes about black people and they had to find the most ghetto people to do enterviews. <_< Of course it might have changed during the end, but I could only watch the first 3 minutes because they said sh*t, n*gger, and f**k so many times. ;)

^Well the video I posted and New Orleans Exposed served two very different purposes. The "Jazz in Heaven" video was made to bring people to the city, New Orleans Exposed was a real documentary video that focused on the crime in New Orleans. The stuff you saw in New Orleans Exposed was real, not just staged events, interviews, etc. That video was meant to expose the New Orleans that most people don't know, or don't want to know about. Crime, poverty, corruption, etc. All major problems in New Orleans, and that video was meant to expose that side of the city. You're right, it was pretty rough language wise, but again, that's because it was a real documentary following people around during their daily events, there was no script, no rehearsal, etc.

^Well the video I posted and New Orleans Exposed served two very different purposes. The "Jazz in Heaven" video was made to bring people to the city, New Orleans Exposed was a real documentary video that focused on the crime in New Orleans. The stuff you saw in New Orleans Exposed was real, not just staged events, interviews, etc. That video was meant to expose the New Orleans that most people don't know, or don't want to know about. Crime, poverty, corruption, etc. All major problems in New Orleans, and that video was meant to expose that side of the city. You're right, it was pretty rough language wise, but again, that's because it was a real documentary following people around during their daily events, there was no script, no rehearsal, etc.

It's good when people can watch things like New Orleans Exposed with an open mind. Don't watch it and then decide you're never going to visit the city based on that video. Instead, use it as a warning to stay cautious as you visit New Orleans and just be aware of your surroundings at all times. It's very easy for most people to feel a false sense of security just because they're on vacation and surrounded by other tourists, but that is actually one of those situations where I tend to put myself more on guard. Why, you ask? Because criminals prey on tourists.

New Orleans is a great city. I'm off to watch the video Nate posted!

Great New Orleans video :thumbsup:

Folks, in many way's, this is New Orleans the way it should be seen:

http://65.56.1.67/stream/notmc/jazzinheaven.wmv

That video was used as a tourism video that was split up into different parts and broadcast around the country in 2004 and 2005, and it's one of the few that I actually liked, even if there are some cheesy moments. ;)

Excellent! Yes, some cheesy moments like the old man dancing and singing, but hey... it's NEW ORLEANS, right!?!? You've got to portray it as a celebration, because that's what it is! :D

Geez, for 200 bucks that better be the best damn beer I've ever had. Unless he's just going to stow it away somewhere as a collectors item.

I've had some of Sam Adams 'specialty' beers. I didn't ever pay $200 though. I don't recall the names. One was a higher alcohol beer, but apparently not the one Brian mentioned. I also had one that had chocolate in it, sorta a chocolate stout. Both weren't bad but I don't think I liked them enough to want to pay as much as I did for them again.

The reviews I've seen says it has no head and people have detected flavors of vanilla, butterscotch, and syrup among others. Overwhelmingly people seem to like it. Of course these people go in expecting this, I'd feel bad for the guy getting ready for a drink and expecting Budweiser (hint hint) or Coors or something along those lines.

You mentioned not like that Abita Raspberry Wheat. I don't know if I would either. I'm not fond of raspberrys and the only wheat beers I like have a banana flavor to them.

Yeah beers like that and the not quite so expensive one I had of theirs a few years ago are best not thought of as beer. You're supposed to drink them more like cognac.

From what I can tell the reason why it's so expensive is because it's a self imposed limited release and they probably aged it in barrels for about a year or so.

I tell you, the beers that I like are acquired taste. I'm convinced it's something you're born with or you're not. Of course you have to try them to see, but once you do and you find that you do enjoy them you'll never go back to beers like Budweiser again, unless someone pays for it.

I'm obssessed with beer like Bubba is with shrimp (according to my mom).

Yeah in a lot of ways I'd have to agree with you. For the longest time all my friends tried to get me into beer and I just couldn't get into it. What finally did it for me was trying some foreign beers. For years all I had tried was the more mass produced American types of beer. I certainly never developed a taste for those kinds of beer.

Neither could I, for me those beers were a case of grin and bear it. I drank beer just to get drunk, but I never liked the taste, even enjoying light beers more because they weren't so annoyingly bitter (not from hops). I grouped beers into, according to taste, tolerable or intolerable. Budweiser was tolerable, Busch was intolerable. MGD was tolerable until the last inch of beer in the bottle got warmer and then it was all I could do to keep from puking.

Then that fateful day came back in 1998, for some unfathomable reason I decided to look up beer reviews on the internet, and I learned about all these beers I've never heard of. I was amazed that the best selling beers, Michelob, Coors etc were getting ratings of like 1 star or 2 stars out of 5. Then I saw the name Samuel Adams, honestly I never heard of them before this, but the name appealed to me and they were getting ratings of 3-4 stars out of 5 I had to find out why they were getting such better reviews, I mean after all wouldn't they be the best selling beers in the United States if they were so great? So I went to the corner gas station and saw a 6er and bought it. I brought it home and found that these weren't twist tops, and I had no bottle opener so I used the vice grip. I poured some into a mug and I couldn't believe it-a beer that wasn't boring and actually tasted good, I didn't think it was possible. It was all I could do to keep from guzzling the beer.

Later I found out the benefits of not drinking out of a frosted mug. The first time I drank a Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter it was in a frosted mug. I thought the beer was boring as I couldn't taste anything. Later I tried it in an unfrosted mug and the flavors exploded, especially a coffee flavor that I didn't notice before.

Neither could I, for me those beers were a case of grin and bear it. I drank beer just to get drunk, but I never liked the taste, even enjoying light beers more because they weren't so annoyingly bitter (not from hops). I grouped beers into, according to taste, tolerable or intolerable. Budweiser was tolerable, Busch was intolerable. MGD was tolerable until the last inch of beer in the bottle got warmer and then it was all I could do to keep from puking.

Then that fateful day came back in 1998, for some unfathomable reason I decided to look up beer reviews on the internet, and I learned about all these beers I've never heard of. I was amazed that the best selling beers, Michelob, Coors etc were getting ratings of like 1 star or 2 stars out of 5. Then I saw the name Samuel Adams, honestly I never heard of them before this, but the name appealed to me and they were getting ratings of 3-4 stars out of 5 I had to find out why they were getting such better reviews, I mean after all wouldn't they be the best selling beers in the United States if they were so great? So I went to the corner gas station and saw a 6er and bought it. I brought it home and found that these weren't twist tops, and I had no bottle opener so I used the vice grip. I poured some into a mug and I couldn't believe it-a beer that wasn't boring and actually tasted good, I didn't think it was possible. It was all I could do to keep from guzzling the beer.

Later I found out the benefits of not drinking out of a frosted mug. The first time I drank a Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter it was in a frosted mug. I thought the beer was boring as I couldn't taste anything. Later I tried it in an unfrosted mug and the flavors exploded, especially a coffee flavor that I didn't notice before.

:lol: Yeah I freak out a lot of my friends when I drink some room temprature ales and such. Of course I can't get them to understand that stuff like ales aren't supposed to be drunk ice cold. I think if it has to be ice cold to be drunk then it's got to be pretty crappy. But yeah drinking it warmer allows you to taste so much more of the flavor. Sometime I've got to go through one of my old books and see if I can mention a few beers that I've wanted to try but never could find up here in Arkansas.

I was looking on emporis and they are going to build a tower in New York for $35 million and then sell each unit for $30 million. Evne though it is exclusive, it still seems ridiculous to me.http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=205013

Oh yeah I remember that building. It's designed by Santiago Calatrava. He's certainly one of my favorite architects. Now that I think about it, he's got to be my favorite architect who's still alive. He's got some really interesting stuff over in Europe.

Oh yeah I remember that building. It's designed by Santiago Calatrava. He's certainly one of my favorite architects. Now that I think about it, he's got to be my favorite architect who's still alive. He's got some really interesting stuff over in Europe.

I like a lot of Santiago Calatrava's stuff, but that ain't one of 'em. I just think that building defines crappy.

This bed is named 'The Shreveport.' :dontknow:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...;category=63551

And this Howard Miller grandfather clock also carries Shreveport's name... :dontknow:

http://www.mercantila.com/catalog/store/Ho...veport-_-893515

Flattering, though.

Yeah you should check on how many times you see some western cities names pop up on products. Seems like smaller sized western cities names get used a lot in product names.

I like a lot of Santiago Calatrava's stuff, but that ain't one of 'em. I just think that building defines crappy.

I wouldn't call it one of my favorite works of his but I do think it's unique and interesting. It stands out and I think it could actually become an icon down the road. People thought the Eiffel Tower was a monstrosity when it was built. :lol:

I wouldn't drink beer at room temperature. I prefer it cool, not ice cold. Between about 48-65 degrees. That's when I first start, if it warms up to room temperature by the time I'm almost finished then that's ok.

Depends on what kind of beer it is. I think lagers are meant to be cool to somewhat cold. But stuff like ales I try to drink the British way. :D

People thought the Eiffel Tower was a monstrosity when it was built. :lol:

Rod, if that thing ever becomes a positive icon, I'll come to wherever you're living and I'll buy you any beer you want. ;)

I'd also like to know the wind resistance of that building. NYC is long overdue for a Cat. 2 or 3 hurricane, and that building really doesn't look too sturdy. But then again, with modern technology, who knows.

Depends on what kind of beer it is. I think lagers are meant to be cool to somewhat cold. But stuff like ales I try to drink the British way. :D

Apparently the room temperature refers to the cellar the beers were stored in, not in the way Americans think of room temperature, about 55 degrees, or around the range I drink at.