Should the City of Charlotte raise Property Taxes?

monsoon

Should the City of Charlotte raise Property taxes?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should the City of Charlotte raise Property taxes?

• No - They are wasting too much money.
    • Yes- The prosperity of the city is at stake.
    • Like it matters, I don't live in the city

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The City Council and County Commission ought to work together on tax issues so that both aren't raising tax rates so that the increases together are excessive. I am somewhat involved in local politics and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg political circles are so small that the people on both boards probably see each other frequently and are well-connected with each other already.

The City Council and County Commission ought to work together on tax issues so that both aren't raising tax rates so that the increases together are excessive. I am somewhat involved in local politics and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg political circles are so small that the people on both boards probably see each other frequently and are well-connected with each other already.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14594640.htm

Well, you get your wish, the county is reducing some of the tax burden on their side. The good thing, from my view, is decreased county property taxes and increased city property taxes means the city will get a larger share of the sales taxes. (I like the city to have more money, as they fund roads, police, and fire, and I think those are more efficient enterprises, and more likely to help increase urbanization and density).

It is also just a proposal to raise taxes by the city. Both are at the point where the respective managers have included them in their budgets. Both could change as a result of council action.

But you are right, I wrote it too strongly worded, as though it was already approved. In my view, they are both very likely to pass in some form.

Before any NEW taxes are levied, we must look at our state cigarrete tax. Lets raise that up to national levels and keep spending at the same levels.

Good luck with that one. Both Winston and Phillip Morris pour so much money into campaigns for local and state officials that the officials would never grow the cahones to ever go against them.

Did anyone see the speech made by the current super of CMS? Frances Haithcock blasted the county commission for talking about a tax cut and not giving more money to CMS. I got the impression that a harpie from hell had risen to the podium given her spitting tone. This act demonstrates that CMS still has serious problems with understanding the reality that almost everyone in the county considers them a failure and she is one of the problems. I wish she would have spent her time making a speech on what she is going to do addrress the problems of the school system rather than make political speeches which isn't her job anyway.

Thankfully Ms. Haithcock was shown the door. Her speeches after the loss of the bond referendum made it clear she didn't 'get' it.

They really like to hold the party line that CMS does absolutely nothing wrong with money.

She also made the statement that all the teachers in CMS want her to be superintendant. I can assure you that is not the case.

Archived