Planned Lowes in Cromwell might be in Jeopardy

drc72

No one advocated writing off the cities. I don't like big box stores anymore than the next guy, but I don't hate them. I don't see the big deal with having a Lowe's in Cromwell, however I don't live there. I was happy when Lowe's came to Bloomfield following Home Depot's lead. But they are in an already commercial area so nothing really changed other than the Plaza doing about 1000% better now. I haven't noticed any negatives per se.

The Planning and Zoning commision got a few complaints from local NIMBYS that Lowes was probably gonna construct a side entrance from Coles RD, but Lowes repeatedly said that they where not gonna do that. So the P&Z fell for it and denied the application. Seriously, are people really this dense?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why you'd want a chain store in an area that consists of small farms and large homesites? Smart growth belongs in town centers and cities, not in farming communities... that's called sprawl.

Cromwell is not really that much of a farming community anymore. There's just a couple of local nurseries in the area.

That's really sad that you feel that way. Thankfully you are completely wrong.

Willimantic and any other city in New England shouldn't be totally written off. Cities like Providence, Portsmouth, Portland, Lowell, Newport, and Northampton prove what our cities can be when there's a will for them to succeed. Turning our backs on our cities and choking them with sprawl is not the answer.

I think the smaller cities in Connecticut have suffered a lot more in terms of "New England" charm than the rest of New England. Cities like Willimantic, Norwich, New London, and Putnam once had vibrant downtowns and packed main streets, now you really don't see that, although Norwich is on a rebound.

Not to be taken as a personal attack....but, this site is called UP...meaning that its members generally are pro-URBAN development....Maybe because you live in AZ, you forgot what that means......

How does living in Arizona make me forget what pro-urban development is? There is a resurgence of urban development in downtown Phoenix, downtown Tempe and old-town Scottsdale as we speak. I never said anything bad about urban development, I think you misread my post. If anything I am all for urban development in the smaller mill towns throughout Connecticut that are now depressed and struggling, however redevelopment in Willimantic during the 70's was done completely wrong and will make anyone sick to their stomach.

I think the smaller cities in Connecticut have suffered a lot more in terms of "New England" charm than the rest of New England. Cities like Willimantic, Norwich, New London, and Putnam once had vibrant downtowns and packed main streets, now you really don't see that, although Norwich is on a rebound.

I never said anything bad about urban development, I think you misread my post. If anything I am all for urban development in the smaller mill towns that are no depressed and struggling. How redevelopment was done in Willimantic during the 70's will make anyone sick to their stomach.

What people fail to realize is that these areas were once pretty urban. They were like mid majors almost. If the mills hadn't had died off these towns would be drastically different today, more urban and cosmopolitan, while still being industrial. These cities actually died and stopped growing, that is terrible. This is 2006 America, Big Boxes and suburban development will never go away at this point. Now you have to look at the fact that no one (well most urban people) will not move somewhere that doesn't have what you are used to in your city and it's suburbs. That's why these areas do need to be somewhat self sufficient and have retail stores that obviously are very popular and in high demand, even if it's not the greatest use of site sometimes.

Cromwell is not really that much of a farming community anymore. There's just a couple of local nurseries in the area.

Why are you so obsessed with this Lowes? There seems to be a LOT of legitimate concerns from neighbors on this issue. You can't just plow into a community. That type of development will always be shot down by people who live there. People choose Cromwell for a reason. If they wanted to live on the Berlin Turnpike or Downtown Hartford, they would.

http://www.cromwellct.com/agenda/agendas%2...2002may2006.pdf

This is 2006 America, Big Boxes and suburban development will never go away at this point.

People thought the mills weren't going anywhere either. Current planning only allows for very short term planning. Lowe's isn't expecting to still be in any of it's current locations in it's current form for more than 10-20 years. Big box development is by design disposable. It's up to the municipalities to zone for the future.

Why are you so obsessed with this Lowes? There seems to be a LOT of legitimate concerns from neighbors on this issue. You can't just plow into a community. That type of development will always be shot down by people who live there. People choose Cromwell for a reason. If they wanted to live on the Berlin Turnpike or Downtown Hartford, they would.

http://www.cromwellct.com/agenda/agendas%2...2002may2006.pdf

I'm not obseesed! Your missing the point. What bothers me is the town turns down development way to quickly. Lowes is by no means a major development or CVS for that matter. If Utopia decided they wanted to build in Cromwell, then I would say these people would have a valid concern. The town is even concerned now, according to the Middletown Press. Their afraid the P&Z is turning down to many opoprtunities. Glastonbury is about the same size as us and they have a Home Depot, but yet their able to maintain their small town charm.

I'm not obseesed! Your missing the point. What bothers me is the town turns down development way to quickly. Lowes is by no means a major development or CVS for that matter. If Utopia decided they wanted to build in Cromwell, then I would say these people would have a valid concern. The town is even concerned now, according to the Middletown Press. Their afraid the P&Z is turning down to many opoprtunities. Glastonbury is about the same size as us and they have a Home Depot, but yet their able to maintain their small town charm.

Cromwell isn't close in size to Glastonburry. Glastonbury has around 35k people while Cromwell is around 15k.

Cromwell isn't close in size to Glastonburry. Glastonbury has around 35k people while Cromwell is around 15k.

Really? I thought Glastonbury was always small population wise, although Glastonbury city proper is really big.

Their afraid the P&Z is turning down to many opoprtunities.

That might be right. Maybe they are?

I found this survey very interesting. http://www.cromwellct.com/survey%20tabs2.pdf

Perhaps the fault is in the town leadership because residents want services and shopping that are not there now and never were. They need to propose the right opportunities. Main St. in Cromwell was always run down. I don't know what it is like now, but I'm sure it is not the little village that is typical of the most charming New England downtowns. People want places to shop and do business. It's all about bringing in development that's a benefit to the community.

That might be right. Maybe they are?

I found this survey very interesting. http://www.cromwellct.com/survey%20tabs2.pdf

Perhaps the fault is in the town leadership because residents want services and shopping that are not there now and never were. They need to propose the right opportunities. Main St. in Cromwell was always run down. I don't know what it is like now, but I'm sure it is not the little village that is typical of the most charming New England downtowns. People want places to shop and do business. It's all about bringing in development that's a benefit to the community.

Surprisingly Main Street Cromwell has gotten cleaned up. There actually building new homes along Main Streets southern portion. 2 new houses already went up and another is in the process.

I was in Downtown Cromwell the other day, it felt alot like Berlin, totally redneck. It's funny because 2 minutes away you approach the over-developed Rt372 area. If the Lowes is on 372, I don't see the difference, it's so developed as it is...

I was in Downtown Cromwell the other day, it felt alot like Berlin, totally redneck. It's funny because 2 minutes away you approach the over-developed Rt372 area. If the Lowes is on 372, I don't see the difference, it's so developed as it is...

That's exactly where Lowes is gonna be, RT 372. More towards I91.

Then I don't see the problem. That's like complaining that yet another strip mall will be going up on the Berlin Turnpike, at some point, it just doesn't matter anymore. Even if it's a little grove of trees that it's replacing, really, does it make a difference?

Then I don't see the problem. That's like complaining that yet another strip mall will be going up on the Berlin Turnpike, at some point, it just doesn't matter anymore. Even if it's a little grove of trees that it's replacing, really, does it make a difference?

Thank You! My thoughts exactly. I wish the NIMBYS would see it this way.

I was in Downtown Cromwell the other day, it felt alot like Berlin, totally redneck.

I'm going to take that as a compliment! Keep Cromwell redneck. :yahoo:

BTW, seriously, if anyone can post pictures of the new developments/sites you're talking about, that would be really cool! When I get a chance, maybe I'll find and scan in some pictures from the 70s just for kicks.

I'm going to take that as a compliment! Keep Cromwell redneck. :yahoo:

BTW, seriously, if anyone can post pictures of the new developments/sites you're talking about, that would be really cool! When I get a chance, maybe I'll find and scan in some pictures from the 70s just for kicks.

Yeah it would be intersting to see some pics from the 70's. I'll try to see if I can get some pics of the developments.

Actually, I just drove through there about 15 minutes ago, and it isn't as over-developed as I thought. That being said, I still don't see the problem.

Yeah, there really isn't a whole lot of development in Cromwell. Most the development is right on the Middletown and Berlin borders as it is.

Yeah, there really isn't a whole lot of development in Cromwell. Most the development is right on the Middletown and Berlin borders as it is.

Yeah there really isn't much out there. Just some light retail development pretty much.

Heh, ok, how did my statement that it wasn't as overdeveloped as I thought translate to there isn't much there? There's a ton there, it's just more spread out than I first thought. There are 2 main areas of that strip that are heavily developed: the area by the I91 exit/on ramps, and the area by the RT9 exit/on ramps. There are things in between, it just isn't crazy like the rest of the Rt. I still don't see the problem with a Lowes...

Look at Farmington Ave in Berlin, that's light development, Rte 372 is pretty developed, brother....

Man you can be difficult at times. I know it's developed, just not hugely developed. Well I guese we can agree to disagree. Peace out. :)

Archived