So, what's so great about Nashville?

it's just dave

I guess this is my area....

Oh my yes, yes, YES !!! Google Caney Fork River for a preview of some of the best trout fishing you could imagine. This place is VERY scenic and normally is covered with fog until 9 am. You may think you're in paradise when you're standing in the river as the fog breaks while big browns and smallmouth are jumping. River is open 24x7; this is NOT one of those places where the bell rings at 7 am and people are lined up shoulder to shoulder - welcome to Tennessee! Things to know:

- trout area is below Center Hill Dam (to the Cumberland River, about 25 miles)

- Caney Fork River is about one hour east of DT Nashville

- fishing license and trout stamp required, you WILL be checked sometime

- limit is seven, catch and release is encouraged

- 18 inch min. on Brown Trout

- I estimate 60% are natural trout while 40% are stocked

- water is released from Center Hill Dam during electricity generation, so remember this website: http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/lakeinfo/default.htm and check the generation schedule, because when the water comes - you leave immediately as the river will quickly become a 'raging' river. (Not to scare you, but heed the warnings!). Generation schedule also available by phone: (615) 548-8581

- I normally arrive at daybreak and have my limit in < 2 hours

- normal stringer of fish range from 9-16 inches

- most of the river is accessible to fly fish, but the river does have some deeper holes

One can also go to Piercy Priest Lake (southeast Nashville) and fly-fish along the shore for blue-gill and bass. Also, fly-fishing below Old Hickory Dam for sauger/walleye is fair during the fall

WoW thx man!

Question though, are these places "safe" for a minority to go fishing? I mean to say do you guys have KKK or the skin heads over there? Here in south florida we have a place called Davie which isn't the safest place to be for a minority by they have one of the best fishing canals in south florida. My friend keeps inviting me for night fishing but im afraid to go.

To the people who menched SoBro, Gulch and Germantown, are these areas in the south nashville area?

I know all about the "display" christians too, my next door neighbors here on one side is like this. They do christmas caroling and put up the nativity for christmas and pray to the nativity scene, then they do un neighborly things like dump their bulk garbage on my property so their grass doesn't die or their kids throw away garbage bags full of beer bottles (they are under age drinkers) on other peoples lawns. When the mother was confronted she told the person "your mother doesn't love you, thats why your here saying these things about my kids"

So where ever I go, I definitly can not be put in a situation like this again.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really feel that you will encounter little to no animosity in the Nashville area, and the occasional redneck can be found almost anywhere. West End, Hillsboro Village, the Gulch, and Germantown are areas very close to DT Nashville, however not too far seperated from South Nashville.

WoW thx man!

Question though, are these places "safe" for a minority to go fishing? I mean to say do you guys have KKK or the skin heads over there? Here in south florida we have a place called Davie which isn't the safest place to be for a minority by they have one of the best fishing canals in south florida. My friend keeps inviting me for night fishing but im afraid to go.

To the people who menched SoBro, Gulch and Germantown, are these areas in the south nashville area?

I know all about the "display" christians too, my next door neighbors here on one side is like this. They do christmas caroling and put up the nativity for christmas and pray to the nativity scene, then they do un neighborly things like dump their bulk garbage on my property so their grass doesn't die or their kids throw away garbage bags full of beer bottles (they are under age drinkers) on other peoples lawns. When the mother was confronted she told the person "your mother doesn't love you, thats why your here saying these things about my kids"

So where ever I go, I definitly can not be put in a situation like this again.

"safe"? On days when you don't see others, I'd say yes. BTW, Deliverance was filmed in Georgia - not TN. I carry pistol and have a shotgun in my truck - never had any problems!

OK, joking aside, you will not find here any more or less better than other areas; I'd pick better, but may be fooling myself. I have a friend that's Indian and know what difficulties he faces (in general life) and yours will be worse. But for fishing at Caney Fork, I'd give 1 in 1000 or maybe 1 in 500 odds at best that you'd have any problems. You have better odds fishing than walking through any mall in America.

In general, I'd expect to hear endless stories of the Wailing Wall, Koran (sp?), etc. if I lived in Saudi Arabia. And I would suspect the trash in the yard has a lot more to do with your neighbors being boneheads more than religous reasons (I've had personal experience in this area).

Regrettably, someday you will have a bad personal encounter with someone, but I highly doubt it's while fishing...

"safe"? On days when you don't see others, I'd say yes. BTW, Deliverance was filmed in Georgia - not TN. I carry pistol and have a shotgun in my truck - never had any problems!

OK, joking aside, you will not find here any more or less better than other areas; I'd pick better, but may be fooling myself. I have a friend that's Indian and know what difficulties he faces (in general life) and yours will be worse. But for fishing at Caney Fork, I'd give 1 in 1000 or maybe 1 in 500 odds at best that you'd have any problems. You have better odds fishing than walking through any mall in America.

In general, I'd expect to hear endless stories of the Wailing Wall, Koran (sp?), etc. if I lived in Saudi Arabia. And I would suspect the trash in the yard has a lot more to do with your neighbors being boneheads more than religous reasons (I've had personal experience in this area).

Regrettably, someday you will have a bad personal encounter with someone, but I highly doubt it's while fishing...

Good stuff man,

Yeah about the guy who left the garbage in my yard. I brought that up to show that I have dealt with the supposed religious person who puts their religion on display yet they are the biggest phoney and yes that can happen ANYWHERE, even among Muslims.

Well you guys really have me excited about coming to visit Tenn.

Also if the guy who is from Nashville moving to Chicago is reading this, let me stress that ignorant people and closed minded people are every where. In fact I would say up north they act on these thoughts a lot more than in the south. The north in some of those neighborhoods breed a different sort of racist.

In new york city in queens and brooklyn there have been a number of assaults and killings of indians and blacks by racist italian and irish. Chicago has seen the same.

The only difference is each group generally has their own communities so they can intermingle with each other with out worrying about being discriminated against. The problem comes in when people from these groups decide to go into these other neighborhoods dominated by other ethnic groups who dont want them there. I have noticed in some southern cities groups have not congregated together and mobilized like they have in the north i.e. "alternative life style" neighborhoods and neighborhoods with various ethnic groups etc.

Anyway again guys great information and I can not WAIT to get up there.

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently in Nashville (antioch) So far I have seen German Town, Sobro, been to Centinneil Park.

I have to say Nashville is impressive beyond belief. Any misconceptions I had about this place is out of the window. The downtown is amazing, I can put three down town fort lauderdales in down town Nashville easily. This is clearly how a city SHOULD be put together. I can not express my admiration for this city enough.

I still have to go see Seattle next year but I think if I can not find a high paying job in my home town (NYC) after I graduate from uni. in south florida, I will be moving here for sure.

Question though,

does nashville have a huge movie theater like Movico or loews ? Also can anyone think of anything I MUST see here in nashville before i leave on Wed. morning?

Again cheers people in nashville this place is truly impressive.

The big players are Regal 27 and Regal Green Hills. I think Carmike also has some theaters like the Thoroughbred 20 in Cool Springs. Want to see a nice theater go to Memphis and check out the Malco Paradiso in East Memphis. It is the Malco flagship. Malco is opening in Nashville soon (actually Smyrna) so expect good things.

The big players are Regal 27 and Regal Green Hills. I think Carmike also has some theaters like the Thoroughbred 20 in Cool Springs. Want to see a nice theater go to Memphis and check out the Malco Paradiso in East Memphis. It is the Malco flagship. Malco is opening in Nashville soon (actually Smyrna) so expect good things.

guys, question.

If i move here I HAVE to be near the down town area, its so beautiful. Question is though do they have "mixed/integrated" neighborhoods around that area? I didn't see to many ethnic groups around those areas i visted.

WS

It depends on what you mean by integrated. All the close in areas are a black/white mix with a small percentage of the blacks originating in Eastern Africa and the Dominican Republic. However if you mean Latino look down the Nolensville/Murgreesboro Road areas and if you mean Asian look towards Antioch and the Hillsboro Village/Vanderbilt Areas.

guys, question.

If i move here I HAVE to be near the down town area, its so beautiful. Question is though do they have "mixed/integrated" neighborhoods around that area? I didn't see to many ethnic groups around those areas i visted.

Hope Gardens, Germantown, and Salemtown are north-end downtown neighborhoods that are "mixed" in many regards. I recommend both 'hoods. East Nashville is quite diverse, but further from downtown.

Okay, here is a quick tidbit of information that I just learned that I didn't know where to post. So i'll put it here. With roughly 1.5 million inhabitants in its urban agglomeration, Nashville is the 273rd largest city in the world which ties it with cities like Perth, Australia and Rotterdam, Netherlands. Just an something I thought to be interesting.

This makes me wonder. I am to dumb and lazy to do it, but....

Does anyone want to make us a quick break-down of city rank? How many top 100 in U.S.? Where we rank in the continent. What continent has the largest percentile? Most dense? etc..

I know this might be difficult (especially, considering MSA's and such), but if someone is more motivated than I, it might be fun to know!

This makes me wonder. I am to dumb and lazy to do it, but....

Does anyone want to make us a quick break-down of city rank? How many top 100 in U.S.? Where we rank in the continent. What continent has the largest percentile? Most dense? etc..

I know this might be difficult (especially, considering MSA's and such), but if someone is more motivated than I, it might be fun to know!

All interesting questions...it would take me awhile to compile lists for the other stuff, but I know off the top of my head that Cairo is the most dense urban area, because I was just there and that is what they said. lol I guess that isn't exactly an unbiased source...but whatever.

All interesting questions...it would take me awhile to compile lists for the other stuff, but I know off the top of my head that Cairo is the most dense urban area, because I was just there and that is what they said. lol I guess that isn't exactly an unbiased source...but whatever.

Here's a link I found on the most densely populated city in the world. It says it is Male, the capital city of the Republic of Maldives. Its population is 81,647 on an island measuring only 1.7 Km by 1.0 Km (only about 0.65 Sq. Mi.). That's works out to about 125,000 people per sq. mi. To put that in perspective, if Nashville (502 Sq Mi.) had the same population density, it would have 62,750,000 people! Here's the link.

Male, most densely populated city in the world

Archived