Discovery Center

The Discovery Center in Downtown Springfield is underway for a 30,000 sgf. "Green" building expansion.

This is the first expansion for the center since Brad Pitt donated money in 2001. The Heer's Tower renovation is also doing some "LEED" work.

20050201-Downtownscharac_7.jpg

Green Building Project Goal:

In a dramatic first for the City of Springfield, the Discovery Center announced that its new addition will be a LEED-Certified Building, making it one of the most environmentally-responsible buildings in the State of Missouri.

By using high performance and sustainable building standards on the Center's 29,000 square foot renovated and expanded structure, we are creating an atmosphere that:

fosters environmental responsibility through a natural learning/living laboratory experience for our visitors.

provides a healthy environment for guests and employees.

expands educational opportunities & increases the Center's visibility

decreases the Center's annual operating costs.

For more info and photos go to: http://www.discoverycenter.org/greeninfo.php

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

'Green wing' of Discovery Center has high-flying exhibits

by reporter Tim Tialdo and videographer Bill Mahnkey, KY3 News

VIDEO: http://www.ky3.com/news/3874852.html

SPRINGFIELD -- A project in downtown that's been in progress for several years is complete. Saturday morning, the public will be able to experience the new "green building" wing of the Discovery Center on St. Louis Street.

The new wing has some of the most unusual architecture in downtown, and it's all for kids.

You are so lucky to live near a great facility. I've only been to the Discovery Center once, but it was great!! I've also been to Wonders of Wildlife, which I give an A+ to!!

I need to go up there and do a day trip sometime. Go to a Cardinal Game, see the Discovery Center, Wonders of Wildlife, then may'be head on down to Branson.

Any other places in Springfield you would recommend Slyder?

You are so lucky to live near a great facility. I've only been to the Discovery Center once, but it was great!! I've also been to Wonders of Wildlife, which I give an A+ to!!

I need to go up there and do a day trip sometime. Go to a Cardinal Game, see the Discovery Center, Wonders of Wildlife, then may'be head on down to Branson.

Any other places in Springfield you would recommend Slyder?

If you were to make a day trip up here I would try to cram all of these activities in one fun filled day. First you should start out at Bass Pro/Wonders of Wildlife, maybe eat the breakfast buffet at Hemingway's (which is killer!!!! and only $5.99!!!). Then head off to the discovery Center and play around on the new "GOLD MINE" exibit for a while, walk around downtown and see all the new exciting developments. After all the komotion at the Discovery Center, go eat lunch at one of the favorite downtown eaterie's, Bruno's Itailian Kitchen or Milies Turn of the Century Cafe (both are supurb!). Then walk on over to the Cardinals game around 6or7pm. After that eat dinner at one of the many downtown restuarants (Flame Steakhouse), and then stop on by the Skinny Improv afterward's (Hilairious Improvozational Comedy show Downtown). Whewww!!!

If my calculations are correct you should be able to do all of this for just over $50 Buckaroo's. Not too shabby ehh!

If you are wanting the downtown luxury accomodations, then you need to stay at the newly renovated University Plaza Hotel. Just add about $300 for a suite. :D LOL

If you were to make a day trip up here I would try to cram all of these activities in one fun filled day. First you should start out at Bass Pro/Wonders of Wildlife, maybe eat the breakfast buffet at Hemingway's (which is killer!!!! and only $5.99!!!). Then head off to the discovery Center and play around on the new "GOLD MINE" exibit for a while, walk around downtown and see all the new exciting developments. After all the komotion at the Discovery Center, go eat lunch at one of the favorite downtown eaterie's, Bruno's Itailian Kitchen or Milies Turn of the Century Cafe (both are supurb!). Then walk on over to the Cardinals game around 6or7pm. After that eat dinner at one of the many downtown restuarants (Flame Steakhouse), and then stop on by the Skinny Improv afterward's (Hilairious Improvozational Comedy show Downtown). Whewww!!!

If my calculations are correct you should be able to do all of this for just over $50 Buckaroo's. Not too shabby ehh!

If you are wanting the downtown luxury accomodations, then you need to stay at the newly renovated University Plaza Hotel. Just add about $300 for a suite. :D LOL

I just spent 4 nights in Branson and I wish I had taken some people's advice there and spent a day in Springfield. Branson is nice and all, but it would've been nice to visit a bigger city than I'm living in. Just to visit th bigger Bass Pro Shops would have been worth it. The Bass Pro at Branson's Landing wasn't very impressive. I do want to check out the Discovery Center as it would be much more worthwhile than all of Branson's overly-priced museums.

I just spent 4 nights in Branson and I wish I had taken some people's advice there and spent a day in Springfield. Branson is nice and all, but it would've been nice to visit a bigger city than I'm living in. Just to visit th bigger Bass Pro Shops would have been worth it. The Bass Pro at Branson's Landing wasn't very impressive. I do want to check out the Discovery Center as it would be much more worthwhile than all of Branson's overly-priced museums.

Sound's like your Branson trip was a bit of a bummer. You and your kids would've loved the addition at the discovery Center.

I think the reason the Bass Pro down there isn't very big is becasue of the Headquarters up here, they don't want to take away from the #1 attraction in Missouri. I don't think the Bass Pro down there was that bad, they could have added more aquariums.......the good thing is that they left room for exspansion.

Sound's like your Branson trip was a bit of a bummer. You and your kids would've loved the addition at the discovery Center.

I think the reason the Bass Pro down there isn't very big is becasue of the Headquarters up here, they don't want to take away from the #1 attraction in Missouri. I don't think the Bass Pro down there was that bad, they could have added more aquariums.......the good thing is that they left room for exspansion.

My Branson trip was great... we hit several of the shopping areas and restaurants and spent a day at Celebration City (thank God it's only open for 7 hours!). We went to Branson Landing on a Thursday and I'm sure it's busier on the weekends, also we went the weekend following Labor Day which everyone up there said it's always slower following a holiday. We plan to go back around Christmas and go to Dixie Stampede. I would probably appreciate Springfield more than the my wife and son since I'm more into the science museums than they are.

My Branson trip was great... we hit several of the shopping areas and restaurants and spent a day at Celebration City (thank God it's only open for 7 hours!). We went to Branson Landing on a Thursday and I'm sure it's busier on the weekends, also we went the weekend following Labor Day which everyone up there said it's always slower following a holiday. We plan to go back around Christmas and go to Dixie Stampede. I would probably appreciate Springfield more than the my wife and son since I'm more into the science museums than they are.

I'm glad you had fun. If you haven't been to the Dixi Stampede it is awesome and is my favorite show in Branson.

I hope you get to come see the Discovery Center some time. The new part has exihibit's that can only be found in big cities like KC and St. Louis. It is a blast!!!

Archived