PROPOSED: WATERFRONT PARK

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This article says that they will announce the winner and also disclose who the other finalists were? I don't see the name of the firm who was the other finalist in any of the press releases??? Am I missing it?

In my opinion, it was an awful decision. The winning design is rather uninspiring. Its a sad day for Providence if they actually build something like that.

Thanks for noticing that no mention is made of the other finalists, or for that matter of the other fourteen groups that invested their time and energy into the competition. I was one of the people who worked on the 2nd place entry submitted by team 4. We set up a website at www.urbanscape.us that outlines our project in more detail. We should update the site soon with more info about us, but in brief, we are a collaborative of four. We've local designers. Some of us attend the Graduate School of Design. We were very excited about the prospect of opening up a conversation about urbanism in Providence. We also thought it would be important to mention that ultimately the competition was not blind, as we were required to present our project to the jury. Even though the park we designed is no longer being considered by the city, we were really pleased to have our ideas discussed.

i didnt like the project "for Providence" at all... sorry guy

nice effort though

i thought all the projects submitted had some good ideas, but overall were sub-standard. I exepected them to be that way when not much $$$ is on the table for the winner and you would have to expose certain creative ideas of the architect or firm w/o being compensated

I have been part of the stakeholders group for Cathedral Sq. The process is moving along quite well now. We've just contracted with an engineering group to do preliminary engineering work. We are also contracting with an appraiser to begin understanding costs. I'd say we're about 1-2 years away from actually seeing anything concrete.

Regarding the park, I think the design is great but only one part of the process. A group like Project for Public Spaces should be involved along with the park designers to ensure that the park functions well as a public space. I hope this happens as this process unfolds.

• 1 month later...

I just caught a presentation called 34 Great Waterfronts on UCTV (I get it on DISH) from the Project for Public Spaces with Fred Kent and Kathy Madden. The program outlined some of the great and not-so-great urban spaces on the water in cities around the world, and some strong suggestions for improvements to San Diego's waterfront.

I'll try to tape it if I see it again. We can all benefit from this kind of research as our new park has awesome potential to create a beautiful public space for future generations to enjoy here in Providence.

Fred Kent is, in my opinion, a Cod among men with the work he's done with Project for Public Spaces. I'd work for them in a heartbeat. I once walked him from the train station to a meeting with the DOT and the first thing he said when we hit Smith Street and started up the hill towards the state offices "Where are all the trees?" he said it was criminal that the state didn't have huge trees lining smith street around the state house. He seemed really disgusted.

Fred Kent is, in my opinion, a Cod among men with the work he's done with Project for Public Spaces. I'd work for them in a heartbeat. I once walked him from the train station to a meeting with the DOT and the first thing he said when we hit Smith Street and started up the hill towards the state offices "Where are all the trees?" he said it was criminal that the state didn't have huge trees lining smith street around the state house. He seemed really disgusted.

Archived