Nightlife/Daylife

NewEastSider

Hi,

I'm new in town and looking to get to know Providence and Rhode Island -- not the coffee milk, New York System Weiner side of Rhode Island, but the funky, hip, happening side of Rhode Island. What are some places you'd recommend? Bars, clubs, galleries, quirky spots, cool gatherings, poetry readings, open mics, volunteer opportunities, day trips, adventures, whatever. It's spring, I've got cabin fever, and I want to explore!

Many thanks for your suggestions!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I'm new in town and looking to get to know Providence and Rhode Island -- not the coffee milk, New York System Weiner side of Rhode Island, but the funky, hip, happening side of Rhode Island. What are some places you'd recommend? Bars, clubs, galleries, quirky spots, cool gatherings, poetry readings, open mics, volunteer opportunities, day trips, adventures, whatever. It's spring, I've got cabin fever, and I want to explore!

My suggestion, go out on a Saturday night and walk the following loop: Washington Street, left onto Empire St, left onto Weybosset, right onto Richmond Street then back up Weybossett down to Dorrance and back up to Washington. You'll pass all kinds of bars and clubs, check out the ones that fit you. Also worth it to walk down Westminster and check out Tazza, etc.

In the summer, may I recommend concocting a Del's Lemonade and vodka and wandering around Waterfire.

Also check out Thayer Street on the East Side, some good bars (Kartabar) and shopping.

And of course, Federal Hill (Atwells Ave, Spruce Street, Dean Street) for all your Italian restaurant and grocery needs.

Hi,

what's not funky or quirky about coffee milk and hot weiners?

-Trinity Brewhouse has great beer...

-Snookers is a pretty good spot for pool, it's kindof a combination pool hall, sports bar, lounge, club...

-The Red Fez is a great, funky place to eat

-JR Bean's in Bristol has open-mic nights on Tuesdays, and lots of other music the rest of the week.

-The Hot Club is a good place to get a drink, especially when it's nice enough to be outside.

-The RISD museum is definitely worth checking out, I think they have free admission some/all Saturdays

-PPAC is a great place to see a show, just saw B.B. King there this week.

The list is endless, but it's time for me to head out to some of these places so that's all from me.

You can always check out Providence Monthly and the Providence Phoenix (free publications) for info on the local scene...

-Trinity Brewhouse has great beer...

-Snookers is a pretty good spot for pool, it's kindof a combination pool hall, sports bar, lounge, club...

-The Red Fez is a great, funky place to eat

-JR Bean's in Bristol has open-mic nights on Tuesdays, and lots of other music the rest of the week.

-The Hot Club is a good place to get a drink, especially when it's nice enough to be outside.

-The RISD museum is definitely worth checking out, I think they have free admission some/all Saturdays

-PPAC is a great place to see a show, just saw B.B. King there this week.

The list is endless, but it's time for me to head out to some of these places so that's all from me.

You can always check out Providence Monthly and the Providence Phoenix (free publications) for info on the local scene...

speaking of free admission... the zoo has free admission for providence residents the first saturday of every month i think. you just need proof of residence (which is your driver's license or a utility bill).

i've heard both good and bad things about the hot club... great outdoor bar, but it's a biker bar...

i've heard both good and bad things about the hot club... great outdoor bar, but it's a biker bar...

Well it's true that there are usually a number of bikes parked out front of the Hot Club, but I think it's a mis-conception that it's a "biker bar." If you've ever been there, I don't think that would be your overall impression. All kinds of people go there after work, and it's especially crowded on warm days/nights.

This is the same bar featured in "Something about Mary."

Moda is between Fish Co. and Hot Club. It (Moda) is a very different scene from the other two and is considerably more expensive- it's also has a full restaurant. As for Hot Club, there are often bikers there but the scene is pretty diverse: College kids, business professionals, locals, you name it. Hot Club by contrast is mostly college kids (that really may be all underaged.) All three have outdoor decks along the water and can't be beat on a sunny afternoon.

Archived