unusual photo

beerbeer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to sound rude, but it's not based on what you think. It's about the census definitions. According to those Meriden in Metro New Haven.

i just don't see the meriden-new haven connection as much as i see the meriden-hartford connection. the problem is meriden is sort of sitting out there smack in the middle of the 2. i wonder how the census determined that meriden is new haven metro...

I found what looks to be commuting patterns from County to County for the year 2000, but these seem to be awfully low:

Hartford County to New Haven County = 17,000 out of 400,000 workers = 4.25%

New Haven County to Hartford County = 21,000 out of 380,000 workers = 5.5%

http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen20...mmuting.html#CT

I double and triple checked and these numbers are for the most part accurate.

I'm going to see if I can figure out how many people from Hartford County commute to the New Haven METRO and vice versa. BRB :silly:

i just don't see the meriden-new haven connection as much as i see the meriden-hartford connection. the problem is meriden is sort of sitting out there smack in the middle of the 2. i wonder how the census determined that meriden is new haven metro...

Because it's in New Haven County.

did they really just divide up the metro regions by county and call it a day?

Pretty much. Hartford gets Hartford, Middlesex, and Tolland in the MSA and Windham in the CMSA. New Haven gets New Haven County. New London gets New London County. Pretty much broken down by county.

Alright, here's the final count:

41,587 workers commute from the New Haven metro to the Hartford metro.

There are approx. 480,000 workers in the New Haven metro.

41,587/480,000= 8.7%

8.7% is a decent amount of people, but we are nowhere near the 15% needed for New Haven to be officially included in Hartford's metro.

source: http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen20...mmuting.html#CT

Good work finding that, SOCOM. That is a good amount of people but is not close to the necessary 15%. Maybe it will be one day. If that day does come there should be consideration for redesignating the Metros. Now I have a benchmark to watch for. The state without a question still needs to work more regionally to improve basically everything about CT.

Just to make sure, did you count people from New Haven County who work in Middlesex, Tolland, or Windham? I think you did. I see the count jumped from your original post. Because that is pretty much all Hartford Metro as well.

I was talking on air as well. There is no shortage of Hartford stories on WTNH.

I agree and WTNH actually has a Hartford studio located at 10 Columbus Blvd. The candycane building just in case some of you where wondering. I met some of the anchors while I was doing some telecom work in the building. Mark Davis and Brad Drazian.

I agree and WTNH actually has a Hartford studio located at 10 Columbus Blvd. The candycane building just in case some of you where wondering. I met some of the anchors while I was doing some telecom work in the building. Mark Davis and Brad Drazian.

mark davis strictly covers government related news. i've never heard of the other guy... i think the primary reason for their hartford studio is to cover the state gov't. they also have a studio in new london.

mark davis strictly covers government related news. i've never heard of the other guy... i think the primary reason for their hartford studio is to cover the state gov't. they also have a studio in new london.

I think Brad Drazian is just a regular reporter.

Good work finding that, SOCOM. That is a good amount of people but is not close to the necessary 15%. Maybe it will be one day. If that day does come there should be consideration for redesignating the Metros. Now I have a benchmark to watch for. The state without a question still needs to work more regionally to improve basically everything about CT.

Thanks. I agree, whether or not Htfd & NH merge in the future, we should be thinking as if we operate as one metro already. Hopefully the commuter rail proposal will pan out in the next 10 years.

Just to make sure, did you count people from New Haven County who work in Middlesex, Tolland, or Windham? I think you did. I see the count jumped from your original post. Because that is pretty much all Hartford Metro as well.

For the 'Hartford MSA' I used Hartford, Tolland, and Windham counties.

For the 'New Haven MSA' I used New Haven and Middlesex counties.

Is Middlesex considered to be a part of the Hartford MSA? If so, I can adjust the numbers accordingly.

Thanks. I agree, whether or not Htfd & NH merge in the future, we should be thinking as if we operate as one metro already. Hopefully the commuter rail proposal will pan out in the next 10 years.

For the 'Hartford MSA' I used Hartford, Tolland, and Windham counties.

For the 'New Haven MSA' I used New Haven and Middlesex counties.

Is Middlesex considered to be a part of the Hartford MSA? If so, I can adjust the numbers accordingly.

Middletown and the rest of Middlesex are considered metro Hartford.

Middletown and the rest of Middlesex are considered metro Hartford.

southern middlesex is new haven and new london metro.

there's actually a lot of info on wikipedia about greater new haven and greater hartford as far as what towns are included.

southern middlesex is new haven and new london metro.

there's actually a lot of info on wikipedia about greater new haven and greater hartford as far as what towns are included.

That is based on Pre-2003 Metro area designations. Based on the new designations all Metro Areas are divided by Counties. The Wikpedia info is out of date.

Hartford Metro consists of Hartford, Middlesex, and Tolland Counties. Windham County is added to the Consolidated Hartford Metro.

Link to most current Metro Area Designations: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/bulletins/fy2006/b06-01.pdf

Before the 2000 census, New England data was compiled by city and town, there was an asterisk next to all New England information explaining the difference. As of 2000, New England was brought into line with the rest of the country and is counted by county.

• 3 months later...

Archived